Topic: Looking to join a Georgia team

Looking to wrench or drive on a Atlanta area team. I will be getting my own safety gear.  I have metal fab experience plus I’m able to work on cars. Pretty good wrench spinner with tools.  Limited driving experience been to AMP and will be trying to get to the next HPDE at Road Atlanta

Re: Looking to join a Georgia team

Im in the same boat as you looking for a Georgia team. Im a decent wrencher that specializes in RX7's (Mostly second gen experience) and am a avid Sim Racer that's looking to drive https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6sA-y … MIyFdXCrsw

I've also been to AMP and am looking to do the December race at Road Atlanta. Let me know if you find something. Couple more and we could have our own team.

I need to find some with a car or has someplace they can keep a car

then you two should just contact each other...and see if you can just form a team together...
This is how great, long term friendships are made...!

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Opus #28  (still can't win anything...)

5 (edited by Railtech 2018-05-11 06:21 PM)

Hey guys, same boat here.  Was going to attempt a team on my own but too many broke friends.  I am a middle aged engineer in Forsyth County and have a 30x40 detached to keep any eyesore in.  Might have some room for a parts car or two I have great neighbors.  Pretty proficient wrench with equipped shop, built many Jeeps and other projects but not sure I can step into the foray on my own.  Looked at a couple hoopties to build was thinking Panther or B body GM platform with an LT1 like roadmaster or caprice since I have worked on both before.  Found a sick Fleetwood Limo that would be very unique, escape from NY style just needs chandeliers.  I got one other colleague on board as a wrench/driver.

Driving experience just some novice autocross and some BMW driving school I did about 10 years ago.  That and Atlanta traffic for my entire life.

I’m also looking for a team in the Atlanta area. I have little driving experience. I can do the basics as far as wrenching. Just need some people to go in on a car and create a team.

I am lookin for a team as well. Decent backyard mechanic and a good driver. I live in the Alpharetta/Johns Creek area. If you guys are thinking of forming a team let me know.

8 (edited by Railtech 2018-05-23 06:03 PM)

We ought to get together and see if we can make something work.  I am Alpharetta as well, the furthest corner of it at least.  We got 6 interested folks and my +1.  That would make a team, as mentioned I can house and have tons of room to build.  Be happy to host a meet and greet and whiteboard a plan over a beer.  7 wallets are better than one smile I am sure your spouses if applicable would agree.

We could see what skillsets and powertrains everyone is good with and start to find a car.

Dave

9 (edited by JCH 2018-05-24 03:55 PM)

Rail,
  I would be very interested in meeting. I also have GM  B body experience ( own a 94 wagon with mild mods) a LT1 sedan would be sweet. Hell on tires, but sweet, there always seems to be some kicking around. Trick will be to find a 94 thru 96

John

10 (edited by Railtech 2018-05-24 04:42 PM)

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/ … 28680.html

Someone say low mileage B body?  I have seen this steadily drop from 2500.  The market on a ghettofied limo with no vinyl roof must be rough.

I was considering buying it for its powertrain alone.

Maybe with a little escape from NY treatment.
https://www.imcdb.org/i071968.jpg

Long way to go to be eligible. decent tires will be a bitch to find for 15 inch rims unfortunately

Yep, would be hard to keep safe in the corners.  And tires smile.

There are a lot of crown Vics and a few Caprices running Lemons, they make very competitive Class B cars and can creep into A class. '
The biggest consideration is the consumables.

A big car going fast, stopping and turning corners is tough on tires, brakes, transmissions and fuel consumption so your weekend will cost more that a smaller car but on the flip side it is a blast to see a huge American V8 passing Hondas and Miatas.

LS engines do swap into almost anything RWD with a little fab and creativity so that is another option but maybe a bit ambitious for a first build.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
16x Loser with the Celica. 5 times loser in other fine machines

The cars for sale forum has a 95 caprice w/ LT1 for $400 in columbus right now. He says it will run with a jump, but he doesn't appear to be an established lemon, so take that for what it's worth. If that's what you're looking for it would be a good start.

VanillaHaze wrote:

The cars for sale forum has a 95 caprice w/ LT1 for $400 in columbus right now. He says it will run with a jump, but he doesn't appear to be an established lemon, so take that for what it's worth. If that's what you're looking for it would be a good start.

That's Columbus OHIO, not Georgia FYI

16 (edited by Railtech 2018-05-26 06:14 PM)

Thanks for the tip Brett, keeping eyes open.  Would love to find an early to mid 90s panther towncar/marquis/vic grampa ran into the wall special.  The consumables would be a definite issue on a big sedan.  But relatively cheap and available everywhere standard issue.  Some big dudes in here as well so squeezing them into a miata probably isn't feasible.

One question I do have is on cagebuilding, definitely should leave to the experts what would be the going rate for a lemony cage welded in?  I can weld sheet steel but never got good on tube and don't understand all the geometry in play.  I was into WWII jeeps for a while and got pretty talented stitching those together.

JCH wrote:
VanillaHaze wrote:

There's a Columbus in Georgia?

VanillaHaze wrote:
JCH wrote:
VanillaHaze wrote:

There's a Columbus in Georgia?

Um, yeah.  One of the largest US Army bases, Fort Benning, is right there.  I may or may not have been conceived there.