Re: Gingerman Summer!

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:
derekste wrote:

The Wonderment Consortium will be there with the Scoupe and a full roster of idiots.

This will likely be the Scoupe's last race before I sell it. If you know anyone in the market, send them my way!

Curious: what _is_ the Scoupe?

It_is_a_Scoupe!  A Hyundai Scoupe of broad and deep acclaim.

The Scoupe was Hyundai's first attempt at making a "sporty" car.
http://www.autolit.com/Store/images/D/MX/mx2658-d.jpg

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

28 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2018-05-30 11:00 AM)

OnkelUdo wrote:
derekste wrote:

The Wonderment Consortium will be there with the Scoupe and a full roster of idiots.

This will likely be the Scoupe's last race before I sell it. If you know anyone in the market, send them my way!

Maverick74 wrote:

Thank you both for your kindness in your replies.....

I thought "Scoupe" was just an "in-the-know" play on words.

But [expletive deleted], for the life of me, I don't know why I don't remember these cars of the early 1990s, either the Scoupe, or the SC400s I bought.

[edited to tighten the dead body drift - my apologies]

OnkelUdo wrote:

Maverick74 wrote:

http://www.autolit.com/Store/images/D/MX/mx2658-d.jpg

Thank you both for your kindness in your replies.....

I thought "Scoupe" was just an "in-the-know" play on words.

But [expletive deleted], for the life of me, I don't know why I don't remember these cars of the early 1990s, either the Scoupe, or the SC400s I bought. I'm thinking likely the trunk space of my JettaGLI because of the equipment I carried almost every day - that's why I bought that car. I probably didn't even look at anything without easy access to lots of storage space [think of 2-3 duffel bags, and several large backpacks - not easy in a small coupe].

If you are chopping up the dead hookers and putting them in duffel bags really anything short of a Miata will do.  You can always strap them on top of the roof.

OnkelUdo wrote:

If you are chopping up the dead hookers and putting them in duffel bags really anything short of a Miata will do.  You can always strap them on top of the roof.

Theme? Or are you talking about the headers? Before, I was just ignorant; now, I'm confused......

OnkelUdo wrote:

Theme? Or are you talking about the headers? Before, I was just ignorant; now, I'm confused......

All GM (and other) cars from the 80's-90's have their trunk volume measured in the unit known as "dead hookers" with the sub-unit of "dismembered dead hookers".  Not even sure where the reference started but the 1996 Buick LeSabre is a three dead hooker trunk for example.

I find this video to be the most explanatory/least befuddling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sOcuTRxfj8

There's also a TopGear segment out there where Hammond gets one. Couldn't find it, but I just found this gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwuIpP5qnw

I can, with little reservation, say that my Scoupe is the fastest... IN THE WORLD! And it can be yours for $500.

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

WOW, i didn't know Freddy Mercury did car reviews!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Well, the Nightmares on Elm St will be at Gingerman with our 92 Eagle Talon Base Model.  We put some new parts in it (who knew a crankshaft timing gear could explode, or that motor mounts are supposed to actually be connected to the motor) and think we might be able to race for more than 4 minutes at a time.  We hope to do better than 44 of 48 in B class, but don't want to set our expectations too high. 

Anyone have any need to know info regarding the track/parking/neighborhood that they would like to share??

Also, for dead hookers G bodies have a rep for many, many hookers, but my 98 Grand Prix could fit st least 4 live hookers or 5 dead ones.  Don't even get me started on midget hookers.

1992 Eagle Talon ES(i)

35 (edited by Guildenstern 2018-05-25 12:49 AM)

Need to Know!
Gingerman is built on the site of a future intergalactic burial ground!

Need to Know!
Anyone with red hair gets 3 bonus ginger laps per hour on track in accordance with Michigan law!

Need to Know!
If teams in the paddock block service access for the mid paddock portapoty, it WILL overflow as it heats up over the day! It's..........life altering.....

Need to Know!
Turn 2 exists in more than 4 dimensions, and the true fastest line involves turning perpendicular to all known reality!

Need to Know!
There's apparently a Jellystone campground near by. I say this because my one team member randomly announces this fact at least once a race!

Need to Know!
The Trees can see you!

Need to Know!
The track has an FM repeater for the PA so you can actually hear it, but nobody either in Lemons or Track Management seems to know how to use it, only that it does exist!

Need to Know!
Do not attempt to swim in EITHER Nick Pond!

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Got it - thanks for the clarification.

I had heard the term "3-body trunk" [for ex.] here in the northeast megalopolis, but I had never heard "dead hooker".

"3-body", in my group, left room for the idea that 'we can sneak a few extra people into the drive-in movie'; criminal, sure, but a misdemeanor.

The phrase "dead hookers" made me nervous, because, you know, felony, and some of my best friends ...  ahhh, nevermind ...  oh, crap! How do you edit these posts, again?

Probably the main need to know other than the relatively primitive nature of the bathroom facilities is that you pretty much are staying at the track or at least 10-15 miles inland if you have not already booked a spot.  South Haven is a "resort" town with the 4th being a really big deal for the boaters and just travelers in general.  Since winter held us in her icy grasp way too long, I suspect it is even fuller than fully booked at this point.

Other than that, just plan on a good time and potentially a snow storm because Lemons+Michigan=literally any weather possible.

Considering doing the Friday practice.  How does it work at Gingerman?  At some tracks it is as simple as they give you a sticker to put on your car and anyone can drive it, not even a tech.  At others you have to register drivers in advance.  I'm not sure who will show up Friday so I'm curious how it works there.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

39 (edited by OnkelUdo 2018-05-29 10:18 AM)

Its complicated.  All but one or two races they have done run groups (three) with separate 20 minute sessions.  Two are often Lemons with one non-LeMons but I seem to remember if flipped in the past.  Last time and Maybe the Anniversary race they did open track like 9-5 with an hour lunch.  Their calender claims Lemons open track and $200 to pre-register or $225 at the gate.  I do not remember ever registering drivers but can't remember.

https://gingerman.configio.com/pd/952?s … 953#Detail

Thank you OnkelUdo.  The OP asked if there was a pot luck Friday.  Is this still going on?  So distracted by dead bodies.

Team Glue Sticks
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

meyers0150 wrote:

Thank you OnkelUdo.  The OP asked if there was a pot luck Friday.  Is this still going on?  So distracted by dead bodies.

Yep.  I just have not done the notification...kinda still to early.

Wait, so is that it? Is Summer Gingerman going to be 2018s Sebring?

Will Jay be awarding himself the “I got screwed” trophy again?

From what I understand if no one showed up at gingerman he would still lose less money than he did at sebring.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Doesn't Gingerman typically have a comparatively small turnout?  I can't imaging it would be dramatically less than normal.  What numbers are expected this year?  It has the rally surrounding it this year too.

Team Glue Sticks

meyers0150 wrote:

Doesn't Gingerman typically have a comparatively small turnout?  I can't imaging it would be dramatically less than normal.  What numbers are expected this year?  It has the rally surrounding it this year too.

Not always but for Holiday weekends (Easter, Mothers Day) they have still tended to pull 65+ cars.  I am suspecting this one will be even lower because of competing series and the HPR race so close.

Potluck post/sign up...

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … 36#p322036

I was thinking the rally might add some people but actually that makes it more complicated.  Like I'm going to have to go home and drop of the car and all that and get picked up mid day on the first day of the rally.  And that only works cause the rally is driving right by my house.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Yea there's a Nelson Ledges Chump race the same weekend which is splitting a lot of the eastern teams since a lot of people have been itching to get back on Nelson.

Not sure how the HPR race effects people though, it's really far away.
Are there teams really driving 14+ hours to go to Gingerman?

My adopted team's car is only a few hours from Gingerman but it's a 16 hour drive for me :-/

#98 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight - Class A car in the hands of a Class D team - MSR Houston IOE!

Guildenstern wrote:

Not sure how the HPR race effects people though, it's really far away.
Are there teams really driving 14+ hours to go to Gingerman?

No, there are teams driving 7-14 hours to go to HPR instead of 3-7 hours to go to Gingerman.  I know of three personally.