Re: WANTED: Boat for Great Lakes

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/ … 87127.html
Did you find anything yet?

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

77 (edited by MZAVARIN 2018-05-19 01:14 PM)

cabinboy wrote:

Nice!  I like how you think!

My hesitation with this car, is that it is not an Arrive and Drive condition....and I would need something I could drive away when I land on the Saturday before the Rally.

When someone advertises: Everything is totally fine with the car, except for this little, itsy, bitsy detail....that I just did not have time to fix, but otherwise I fixed everything else about the car....RED FLAG....I interpret as....I fixed everything and found this one issue that is much bigger than I thought...so time to unload it on someone else cuz I don't want to invest any more time or money into it...

Brakes don't work: so can not drive, and probably needs a lot of brake work...even I could fix brakes!

Otherwise I did see some nice boats floating around in Detroit: Lincoln and Mercury....

And the 1941 Buick I figured might not be a good idea since my mechanically inclined friend is unsure he would make it....

But at this point, I contacted the seller of the Ford Galaxie (somewhere around Kalamazoo or Mattawan?)....since it seems to be in good condition, my price range, and a good vintage...but the seller said there might be someone looking at the car this weekend, and if he does not buy it, then he would contact me....but kind of far from the Chicago area, so might be difficult to have someone check it out (Maybe I should just take a chance, and pay the guy without seeing the car, and hope for the best...?)

I also need to consider storage of vehicle prior to Rally...(maybe a seller would be willing to keep a car for me if I paid for it...)

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

MZAVARIN wrote:
cabinboy wrote:

Nice!  I like how you think!

My hesitation with this car, is that it is not an Arrive and Drive condition....

And here, I was thinking it was the leopard-print "position pillow" in the front footwell... but perhaps that's just me....

When someone advertises: Everything is totally fine with the car, except for this little, itsy, bitsy detail....that I just did not have time to fix, but otherwise I fixed everything else about the car....RED FLAG....I interpret as....I fixed everything and found this one issue that is much bigger than I thought...so time to unload it on someone else cuz I don't want to invest any more time or money into it...

Thank you! That's what I told people, and that's why I'm currently removing the power-steering gearbox from my '91Caprice, because the nut from the high-pressure hose won't yet come out. That hose had a very slow leak for the entire time I've had it, and I wanted to fix it before selling. There's no turning back - I cut the hose to get a socket on the fitting nut, and even with a breaker bar I haven't got it out. The nut seems to be a little buggered from previous attempts, now that I can see the whole thing clearly.

But at this point, I contacted the seller of the Ford Galaxie

I like that for you, also... [since my '91Caprice DD is too recent for you; and the above issue - for now].

I also need to consider storage of vehicle prior to Rally...(maybe a seller would be willing to keep a car for me if I paid for it...)

[I'll still deliver my Caprice to the airport for you - just sayin'....]

I was really trying for the Galaxie, but does not look like it is going to work out....seller seems to have committed to someone else....

But this showed up:

https://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/d/ … 64930.html

Anyone in the area to check it out?  Or should I just send him $$ without checking the car out??
Seems like a nice interior to spend the week in...
And engine bay looks decent.
And front end damage does not look too bad, although headlights probably don't work...but that should not be a big deal to fix and Gingerman during the race on Sunday...I am planning on flying in on Saturday...
Hopefully the front end did not get too damaged by falling off a tow dolly....

I would still need to store the car till the race, but maybe the seller would keep it for me....
I just sent him an email to get more info....

What ya thinks?  I don't really have any experience buy cars on CL and I am not familiar with the Chicago area...

mike z

MZAVARIN wrote:

I was really trying for the Galaxie, but does not look like it is going to work out....seller seems to have committed to someone else....

But this showed up:

Anyone in the area to check it out?  Or should I just send him $$ without checking the car out??
And front end damage does not look too bad, although headlights probably don't work...but that should not be a big deal to fix and Gingerman during the race on Sunday...I am planning on flying in on Saturday...

I would still need to store the car till the race, but maybe the seller would keep it for me....

What ya thinks?  I don't really have any experience buy cars on CL and I am not familiar with the Chicago area...

mike z

Transmission has a small leak in it that hasn't been looked at? Towed from CA to TN on a dolly, and damaged? How did that happen? Why is it in IN?

I'm not a mechanic. I'm only marginally familiar with towing FWD cars on a dolly. I've been warned about RWD/AWD cars on a dolly, and quote: possible transmission problems if drive shafts aren't disconnected, or a pump unit used, or something along those lines, if driving wheels are on the ground'. That's why I usually use a trailer; so far, _always_ for RWD/AWD vehicles.

Who wouldn't LOVE to rally in a '69 T-bird? It looks in great shape except for the body damage.

My concern would be the care the transporter took during the CA-TN trip, and what that shows of their knowledge and expertise. And choices.

I'd be less concerned if they drove it, and simply hit something while driving....

Good luck!

MZAVARIN wrote:

But this showed up:

mike z

I've got a teammate in Fort Wayne that could look at it for you if you hear back from the guy.

cabinboy wrote:
MZAVARIN wrote:

But this showed up:

mike z

I've got a teammate in Fort Wayne that could look at it for you if you hear back from the guy.

Thanks for the referral and suggestions.
The guy got back to me.  I asked him those same questions.

Apparently the car got damaged in Arizona, and was towed/trucked to Chicago.
Leaking tranny oil.  Six inches in 2 weeks....
If the guy towing it was careless enough to drop it off the dolly, I doubt he was wise enough to disconnect the drive shaft....so tranny likely has some serious injuries...Probably a good car for someone wanting to restore a T-bird...

I tow my Prelude to each race with a dolly, and I double/triple check everything before and during the trip.  Can't be too careful.

Anyways, back to searching CL,and hoping to find something relatively reliable from the 1960s...otherwise I think I'll settle on one of those big Lincolns, Mercurys, Cadillacs from the 1970s.  Seems to be a good amount of those available...

How about something from the 50's?
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/ … 77549.html

https://images.craigslist.org/00404_7YeYfyAHld6_600x450.jpg

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Gonna make an unpopular suggestion here as I am normally chief enabler on Bad Decisions.  You need to buy local at this point, put some time into it and leave Friday after work enroute to Gingerman.  It is a 15 hour drive.  Our cars are no better that in Boston (it is not like you are buying South of the Mason Dixon line).

The truth is you are running up against the triple threat:

Midwest teams are prepping for one of three races (two Lemons and one not)
You have standards
We all have day jobs and chasing that perfect car is tough enough for us...doing it by proxy is even more challenging

Of the guys we know that can look at and purchase a car, maybe 3 have the ready cash and if you find that perfect car we are still talking a three day delay for money to seller.

Then you want drive-away ready, not a coupe, boatlike and cool.  It is a tall order when (see above) we all got jobs.

Not trying to kill your dream but you are almost out of time and most of us cannot make this happen for you unless lightning strikes and we are there to get hit by it.

85 (edited by MZAVARIN 2018-05-29 06:51 PM)

Maverick74 wrote:

How about something from the 50's?
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/ … 77549.html

https://images.craigslist.org/00404_7YeYfyAHld6_600x450.jpg

Very, very nice...If only it was near me and I'd have time to prep it a bit....what a great ride, deal....I'd go for it but
I am flying in on Saturday pm, and then hopefully arrive at the Gingerman track on Sunday for some fun and maybe a bit of prep
I won't have many tools with me either....
So I would not be able to do any serious brake work,etc.....

Anyways, still a month away...worst case scenario, I'll just buy something unoriginal of CL, pay without seeing, ask the seller to store it for me....

Even if it won't be EPIC, it'll still be fun...

(I probably should have planned to do the Gingerman race and rally....maybe next year...)

OnkelUdo wrote:

Gonna make an unpopular suggestion here as I am normally chief enabler on Bad Decisions.  You need to buy local at this point, put some time into it and leave Friday after work enroute to Gingerman.  It is a 15 hour drive.  Our cars are no better that in Boston (it is not like you are buying South of the Mason Dixon line).

The truth is you are running up against the triple threat:

Midwest teams are prepping for one of three races (two Lemons and one not)
You have standards
We all have day jobs and chasing that perfect car is tough enough for us...doing it by proxy is even more challenging

Of the guys we know that can look at and purchase a car, maybe 3 have the ready cash and if you find that perfect car we are still talking a three day delay for money to seller.

Then you want drive-away ready, not a coupe, boatlike and cool.  It is a tall order when (see above) we all got jobs.

Not trying to kill your dream but you are almost out of time and most of us cannot make this happen for you unless lightning strikes and we are there to get hit by it.

You're right....I know....
I've thought about the option of buying out here and driving to Gingerman....but I bought the plane ticket already....
And I don't really expect you guys in the Chicago area to do my shopping for me....I realize it is a time consuming hassle....and you have better things to do....so really...don't waste your time on CL!
And maybe I am a bit picky....but if nothing comes up in the next week or 2, I'll just get one of those big 1970s cars...Lincolns, Cadillac, Mercedes....and that would be fine too....(I just really like the 1960s cars)...maybe not that cool or original....
just pay the seller, hope he can store it for me, and hope for the best...

Unfortunately, a few of the CL sellers I contacted by email did not work out....

Anyways, I really do greatly appreciate all the feedback, advice, and offers for help...
Let me know where you will be parked at Gingerman....I'll be there with beer, food, etc. on Sunday!

So, I'll keep looking and contacting sellers, and if I find something, I'll check to see if anyone lives near by the seller and has time to kill to check it out....and if not, I'll just Paypal the guy $$ and pick up the car when I get there...

Thanks everyone!
Mike Z

If Coupes come back on the table (as it appears they might have)  This would not be incredibly out of my way to check out Saturday afternoon.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/ … 66972.html

I think someone said no on this already but putting it out there again.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/ … 61335.html

I took your advice and looked around Massachusetts and ALMOST bought a 1970 Ford Fairlane...but missed it!!!  oh well....it went very quickly, amazing....it was in great shape at a great price....

So, seems like the Buick Lesabre you found is the best option

I did contact the seller a few weeks back to ask about the car....
I asked about the car and the only thing that concerned me (about the seller) was that he was not totally truthful....I asked if it had the Wildcat engine, which apparently is a much bigger "BigBlock" engine than the 350...and he said that actually it was not a Wildcat engine but indeed the 350.
Either way, the car looks good for a rally car...so I am committed to this one.

Only little glitch is that I have not figured out a way to store the car if it is purchased for the next 4 weeks till the rally.  Our plan is to fly in on Saturday before the rally, pick up the car and drive to Gingerman....

If you or anyone else is near the car and it is not too much trouble, I could send you the money ahead of time (plus your gas and lunch money!) to pick it up for me.  Or I could contact the seller and just send him the money?

MZAVARIN wrote:

...and he said that actually it was not a Wildcat engine but indeed the 350.

If it's the original engine from 1966 then it's a 340, not a 350, as the Buick 350 (which is not the same as other GM 350 engines) wasn't introduced until 1968.

My parents had a '67 LeSabre with a 340 as our family car throughout my entire childhood; I eventually took my driving test in it. The 340 is a fine engine but parts aren't nearly as common as they are for, say, a small-block Chevy.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

MZAVARIN wrote:

I took your advice and looked around Massachusetts and ALMOST bought a 1970 Ford Fairlane...but missed it!!!  oh well....it went very quickly, amazing....it was in great shape at a great price....

I asked about the car and the only thing that concerned me (about the seller) was that he was not totally truthful....I asked if it had the Wildcat engine, which apparently is a much bigger "BigBlock" engine than the 350...and he said that actually it was not a Wildcat engine but indeed the 350.

Only little glitch is that I have not figured out a way to store the car if it is purchased for the next 4 weeks till the rally.  Our plan is to fly in on Saturday before the rally, pick up the car and drive to Gingerman....

If you or anyone else is near the car and it is not too much trouble, I could send you the money ahead of time (plus your gas and lunch money!) to pick it up for me.  Or I could contact the seller and just send him the money?

I can look at it. It's close to my house. Onkel has offered to keep it at his place but he'll need current plates on it as soon as possible to keep from getting in trouble with Big Brother. Let me know.

cabinboy wrote:
MZAVARIN wrote:

I can look at it. It's close to my house. Onkel has offered to keep it at his place but he'll need current plates on it as soon as possible to keep from getting in trouble with Big Brother. Let me know.

Great!
Please do go check it out for me if it is not too much trouble.
If it seems legit...runs and drives, sounds ok, stops ok, nothing drastic leaks, etc...then I would go ahead with purchase....I am willing to pay full, asking price if the guy does not want to bargain the price down...
If the title is sent to me, I could register it and insure it here in Massachusetts right away, and send you back the plates, registration, insurance certificate....and you can drive it around for a month to show off!!!!

If it is easier, we can correspond via email also

92 (edited by MZAVARIN 2018-06-05 05:41 PM)

Almost purchased the Buick Lesabre...but missed it by a day or so....oh well.
Still looking but need to commit since wifey is getting nervous since plane tickets are purchased

Anyone live near Kalamazoo?  This is my first (or wifey's first) option....

https://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/cto/d/ … 82033.html

A bit more than I wanted to spend, but I figure it would be relatively easy to re sell.  I contacted seller. Waiting for response.  Maybe I should just buy it without checking it out, and just pay the guy?

Next option is:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/ … 70615.html

Interior looks nice.  Hopefully in good running, driving condition.  But looks a bit sketchy....
Although seems to have potential...might be eventually good for someone who is into restoring...
Although it is also a ways outside of Chicago...

Opinions, suggestions?  From those more experienced than I....

I also looked at this, but seller said it needs some "minor" work on the transmission....and such...and does not start, maybe needs new battery, and some brake work, etc.  Looks nice otherwise, with a trailer hitch to tow a Lemons race car...?

https://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/d/ … 32378.html

Is there such a thing as "minor" transmission work???

93 (edited by OnkelUdo 2018-06-06 04:54 AM)

The one in Cal City is not far from me.  Find out from the seller if it is running and driving and I could take it for a drive.

Alternative...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it … 2725059030

Coupe again...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it … 6877004852

The Cadillac would be nice too.

My wife wants me to check the Mercedes first....if that does not work, then maybe the Olds in Cal City....
I contacted seller of Mercedes: a couple of holes in the floor, and a trace oil leak...seems possible...

I will try to find someone in the Kalamazoo area to check it out...and if that does not work out, then maybe move on to Olds or Cady

Kalamazoo is a stretch as it is too far from the OEM's for the engineers I know (Detroit and up North and East).  Good luck.

Bustleback....and if it is just the radiator for real, that is a quick couple of hours.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it … 9117673392

Thanks for the suggestions and offer to help....I may take you up on that...but since wife is going, she would prefer the Mercedes, so I'm talking with seller and will try for that car...although I think some of the other suggestions have more Epic potential....

If Mercedes does not work, the I'll go for one of the big American luxury rust buckets...and at least I could tell wife, I tried....

Looks like the Mercedes deal will happen...
I would have gone for something more EPIC, cool, questionable, impressive...but wifey is not that adventurous, and more risk averse, ...

But at least I am starting 150 points ahead of y'all!!!

AAAARH!
This is killin me....

Everything was all set...done deal....all arrangements made...everything agreed upon...

https://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/cto/d/ … 82033.html

Then
Me: so how do you want to be paid (full price), cash, check, money order, bank check, Pay paL
Seller: Well....you know...I think I'd rather just keep the car. Never mind.  Sorry.

Why do I have such lousy luck buying anything on CL??

First the Pontiac Catalina:
Seller: I know I promised to sell you the car (full price), but some guy just showed up an hour earlier, gave me the money, and drove off with the car.  Sorry.

Then the Ford Galaxie
Seller: I know I promised to sell you the car, but a friend just said he wanted to buy it, so I'd rather sell it to him...Sorry