Topic: Direzza ZIII's how are they wearing?

By now someone must have run them, what's the word? As good or better than ZII Star Specs? or non-Star Spec disappointment in endurance racing like the original ZII?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Re: Direzza ZIII's how are they wearing?

GRM just tested them against Rivals and RE-71.
Haven't finished the article, yet.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

If youre pushing your T bird, I'm hearing heavy cars are chunking the tires, fine for lighter cars.  Not personal experience, we went to 615+ because of price.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Have you run them yet? And what size?

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

We just ran the 615k+ on our 928 for the first time. 3100+ lbs

225/55/16, which is less tire than we need.

I heat cycled them at an HPDE event before the weekend.

They definitely lasted the whole weekend, but we're ready for a new set. No cords, but not enough meat for another weekend.

Felt very sticky and very forgiving.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Yea, I don't expect more than one race weekend with this big FOX T-bird. Everything about the suspension is designed around killing the tires no matter what you do.

Why I am the only one running riken raptors is beyond me. They are available is every imaginable size will last all weekend plus a few track days.
they are owned by Michelin and cost half what 615ks cost.  That being said No one on my team is a good enough driver to take advantage of the better tires yet. I am going to try and run the TX 24 hr race on 1 set.

Owner/Captain of The 27 Club E46. Phoenix, AZ
and now the #95 Thunderbird

Sexy jesus wrote:

Why I am the only one running riken raptors is beyond me. They are available is every imaginable size will last all weekend plus a few track days.
they are owned by Michelin and cost half what 615ks cost.  That being said No one on my team is a good enough driver to take advantage of the better tires yet. I am going to try and run the TX 24 hr race on 1 set.

I paid $105/tire for 615k+...

You get Riken for half that? I'd bite on that.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

9 (edited by Sexy jesus 2018-05-19 09:39 AM)

I payed 58 bucks a tire plus shipping for 255/40/17 that was from tire rack and they were on closeout. looks like they are up to $86 good thing i picked up 3 extra sets. right now tire rack has the 615k for 138 per tire plus 100 rebate when you buy 4

I am thinking of trying a 275/40/17 because quantity is better then quality right? and they are still less then 90 bucks where the falken is 180

Guildenstern wrote:

Yea, I don't expect more than one race weekend with this big FOX T-bird. Everything about the suspension is designed around killing the tires no matter what you do.

We're getting 2 races out of a set of 615+  255/40/17  Were running consistent 1:50 laps at NJMP (pointy end of B).

LF at gingerman is another story.  Same deal at CMP..

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

We'll be running 615K+ at Gingerman at the end of the month. I look forward to seeing how they do.

we run star specs, I think we have about 12 hours or more on a set and they are still very good and have a good ways to go.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

We're getting 2 races out of a set of 615+  255/40/17  Were running consistent 1:50 laps at NJMP (pointy end of B).

FWIW we ran 1:41 at NJMP last year on practice day. On star specs. 84 Trans Am (RIP) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpZHzZYXhJQ&t=138s

Sexy jesus wrote:

The answer is because they just flat out aren't as good. 300TW, so they'll last longer, but they won't grip as well. Trust me, you can take advantage of better tires. First race in the saab we tried to save a few bucks and ran Continental ExtremeContact DWs. They're a great street tire, but a poor track tire, unless it's pouring rain. We found the limits of them very very quickly in the dry. Switching to the 615k+ and we picked up several seconds a lap. Never again will I consider a 300TW+ tire.

Tires are one of the most important performance pieces on your car. Good tires make a car, bad tires ruin a weekend. You might be saving a little money, but you're handicapping your performance potential.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Mr.Yuck wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

FWIW we ran 1:41 at NJMP last year on practice day. On star specs. 84 Trans Am (RIP) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpZHzZYXhJQ&t=138s

Star Specs are dead. Right now only the regular Z3 are available.

Guildenstern wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

WHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?

They do this every couple of years. The star spec is a version of the Direzza Z(whatever number). When they bring out the new Z version the star spec version lags behind a while before coming out.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Mr.Yuck wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

Go check Tire Rack, whats left is all on closeout.

Guildenstern wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

so they aren't going to make them anymore?

Mr.Yuck wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

Dude, read all the posts in a thread. The star specs  you've been using are ZII Star specs. The ZII line is being phased out now that the ZIII is released. The star spec version always lags behind a while. We went through this when they phased out the original star specs and brought out the ZII. The ZIII version will be out in time.

Consider the 615k+ as a cheaper alternative. Similar grip, similar wear, similar communication.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

22 (edited by NOPANTSDOUGIE 2018-06-12 06:31 AM)

Star Specs are like .5 models   z1-z1 starspec-z2-z2 star spec-now z3

lot of teams had bad luck with chunking at Watkins glen AER this April.  seemed they didn't like heavy cars, aggressive alignments, or require totally different setups.  The Jetta seemed to like them which was the lightest, least powerful car that ran them.  I have no Personal experience just what i saw posted after the race.  I'm "poor" we always run Falkens on our cars.

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA

TheEngineer wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

Dude, read all the posts in a thread. The star specs  you've been using are ZII Star specs. The ZII line is being phased out now that the ZIII is released. The star spec version always lags behind a while. We went through this when they phased out the original star specs and brought out the ZII. The ZIII version will be out in time.

Consider the 615k+ as a cheaper alternative. Similar grip, similar wear, similar communication.

ahh ok.