Topic: Main Hoop Spreader

On the main roll bar behind the driver, there are typically a spreader and a diagonal. Is it required that the spreader be one piece and the diagonal be cut to fit it?

Re: Main Hoop Spreader

By spreader, do you mean the harness bar and the anti-bow bar?  If so, then I think they prefer the diagonal be one piece.  See the "how not to fail tech"

https://24hoursoflemons.com/wp-content/ … 051817.pdf

I've seen it both ways but if the diagonal is 2 pieces, the two pieces need to be in the same plane (i.e., the two can't be offset on the harness bar- what you are calling the spreader).

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

FWIW, the official rules do not call out the diagonal by name as needing to be one piece, however the "how not to fail tech" PDF is worded as "must be one continuous bar". Safest route is to just make the diagonal a single bar and split the harness bar into two pieces.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I'm no expert by any means but I've always taken it that since the anti-bow bar is not mandatory then the diagonal has to be one piece otherwise it can't exist with the non mandatory parts. Like cheseroo said, I have seen the two piece pass tech though.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

TheEngineer wrote:

FWIW, the official rules do not call out the diagonal by name as needing to be one piece, however the "how not to fail tech" PDF is worded as "must be one continuous bar". Safest route is to just make the diagonal a single bar and split the harness bar into two pieces.

That is what we've done on all our builds. The diagonal bar is one piece and the harness/anit-bow is two bars on the same plane.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

The diagonal is one piece on two of our cars, and the harness bar is one piece on the other one. All have passed tech multiple times, so I'm guessing that either way is fine.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

ok, thanks, this car was raced in 2015 at The Ridge for the Lemons event. The Horizontal is used more for structure than just a harness bar. It currently has a solid diagonal.

that said, you do know your harness still goes there and has to meet the same "How not to fail tech" rules, right?

OnkelUdo wrote:

that said, you do know your harness still goes there and has to meet the same "How not to fail tech" rules, right?

Yes, the car currently has alum Kirkey seats with back mounts that I'm surprised passed. Once I get the Sparco's in there, it (the spreader bar) may need to move anyway. We've got a couple good 'advisors' that have built several Lemons cars. One ran their C3 Vette in Denver last week and were leading Cl A when the differential vented its housing.....