Topic: tires for mini trucks and not so mini cars

What tires are you using for your heavier race cars?  We have 16" wheels on our mini truck.  We are new and don't plan on breaking any speed records the first time out.  I would like to get at least a few weekends out of a set of tires.    There are some decent options on tire rack at 205/50-55/16: BFG G-force, Dunlop direzza dz102, Firestone Firehawk indy, Yokohoma s-drive, Yokohoma Advan A052(most expensive).

1975 Chevy LUV.  1 Corinthians 13:7
1999 Chevy Blazer

Re: tires for mini trucks and not so mini cars

What is the width of the 16s?

As I mentioned in the other thread, you'll find the Falkens RT615k+ typically provide the best bang for the buck.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

If you are heavier youll want more than a 205.  How heavy we talking?   My 1700lb Tercel will go 2.5 weekend on 205/50 615k+ but our 2550lb gti will only get 1 race on fronts on 225/50 615k+ in a Lemons but at a faster pace race we only get 1 day ish.  There is a 100hp diffrence but its not as if the golf is spinning tire.  You'll want something meaty to support the weight and give more tire for less wear.  That being said we all drive at 90-100% so we dont conserve tires by any means

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA

Weight is the big factor.

Our relatively light Daytona (never weighted it, but I'd guess under 2500lbs) would go two races on a set of 205/50-16 star specs, and the tires were roughly matched to the car.

The heavy saab (3300+lbs without driver) eats a set of 235/40-17 Falken 615k+ tires in a single race. We tried using the left over star specs from the daytona on it one race and it was just horrible. Not nearly enough tire for the car.

We also played the treadwear game. First race we tried to save a bucks and get 300TW tires hoping they'd last longer. Went with the continental ExtremeContact DW. Great tires on the street. Horrible on track unless it's raining. They did not grip nearly well enough, and we still ate them in a weekend.

Point I'm trying to make, share how heavy the truck is (I don't see you mention anything about make, just "mini truck"), and get a set of rims that lets you match tire size to that weight. Buy a good tire in that size.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

Point I'm trying to make, share how heavy the truck is (I don't see you mention anything about make, just "mini truck"), and get a set of rims that lets you match tire size to that weight. Buy a good tire in that size.

This sums it up great.  If you can't afford another set of wider rims go for the 225/50-16s.  Same diameter as the 205/50-16s you have and they sell 615+ in that size for about $114 each.  I have used this Roadkill page to find cars with the same bolt pattern, but larger rim.  Helps save some cost.
http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/wheel-bo … reference/

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

We have a 98 Ford ranger and have been using direzzas and love them. Our first race we bought a used set and swapped them mid race and it was night and day. We have been running them ever since. A neighboring s10 that we chill with also uses the direzzas. I believe off the top of my head we have 225 45 r16. Great wear pattern even across, and can almost get 3 races out of a set.

1998 Ford Ranger 4.0 High Output
Organizers Choice Award Thompson Motor Speedway 2017
Class C Winners NHMS 2018
Hit'em With the Hein