Topic: FIA Harness

I just want to make sure that I'm reading this correctly. 

I have an FIA harness that say "Not Valid after : 2018"

That means that it's still good through 2018, correct?  I just want to be 100% sure that I don't have to go and buy one.

Thanks,
--Rob

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Re: FIA Harness

In NJ at least, yes.  Per 13:62-3.7 (c)2, it's good until 12/31 of the expiration year.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

Rob- you remember the fiasco a couple years ago when Lemons started enforcing the NJ two year rule and didn't seem to care about the 5 year FIA tags.  I would always send an email to HQ and ask.  Then at least you have documentation saying it was okay.  My new harness expires May 2020, hoping Lemons lets me use that for the May 2020 race too.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

Yeah, I remember.  I think the NJ state police updated their regulations since then, that jbl referenced.  I was 99.9% sure I was reading everything right.  I just wanted a second set of eyes on things since our team spends extra on safety gear (and $600 was budgeted for a new harness) and I now I can push that expense off a year.

2. FIA 8853/98 (updated September 28, 2012), incorporated
herein by reference, as amended and supplemented,
and available at http://www.fi a.com/sport/Regulations/standregs.html,
seat belts shall be valid for fi ve
years from the year of manufacture. Belts are stamped or
printed with an expiration year. FIA seat belts expire on
December 31 of the year printed or stamped on the FIA
tag. FIA tags are located on each leg of the shoulder belt
and lap belt, and on one leg of the crotch strap.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

So the smart money is now switching from SFI to an FIA harness?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

6 (edited by TheEngineer 2018-04-05 10:50 AM)

Guildenstern wrote:

So the smart money is now switching from SFI to an FIA harness?

Edit: I was reciting the previous rules, but those have changed for 2018. The rules now state that any belts with a manufacture only date, no expiration, are only good for 2 years. Belts with an expiration date are good to that date. So if they are tagged with an expiration date for 5 years away, you get 5 years.

NJ would still be a wild card, Wondering if they'll still shoot down SFI only belts after 2 years even with expiration dates.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

7 (edited by Guildenstern 2018-04-05 10:00 AM)

I thought SFI tags on belts are now a 24 calender month from date of manufacture specific exparation date now isn’t it?

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Guildenstern wrote:

I thought SFI tags on belts are now a 24 calender month from date of manufacture specific exparation date now isn’t it?

It looks like you're partially right. Rules:
3.F.2.a Five- or Six-Point Harnesses Mandatory.  Five- or six-point harnesses mandatory, including fifth or fifth/sixth “anti-submarine” belt. All harnesses must be in excellent, near-new condition, properly mounted, and carry SFI or FIA approval tags. Harnesses with expiration dates are not valid after the expiration date. For the 2017 season, harnesses with a manufacture date but no expiration date will be valid for five years after manufacture if remaining in excellent, near-new condition. Beginning with the 2018 season, harnesses with a manufacture date but no expiration date are acceptable for two years after manufacture. Shoulder harnesses must be two totally separate belts with separate mounting points (ie, single-point Y-belts are not allowed). When viewed from above, shoulder harnesses should be closer at their mounting points than at their seat-entry points. All lap belts must be standard 2-inch or 3-inch width.

So I guess that answer depends on if your belts have an expiration date, or only a manufacture date. I will change my above post to stop confusion.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

9 (edited by Guildenstern 2018-04-05 03:43 PM)

Crow seems to say SFI is only a 2 year Certification.
http://www.crowenterprizes.com/pages/Recert.html

Has anyone gotten a post 2017 SFI tag with an expiration over 2 years?

Also it's weirder, there's just two tag periods a year. June and December, not 24 Calendar Months.

I'd be curious to see a cost comparison between the 2 year SFI with recert vs 5 year FIA.

Guildenstern wrote:

I'd be curious to see a cost comparison between the 2 year SFI with recert vs 5 year FIA.

As in the absolute cheapest harness you can buy?  Remind me not to race on your team...

Just kidding.  I know, I know...  Minimum standards and all that.  Just like what do you call the person who finishes last in medical school?   Doctor.

Although the FIA is 5 years, technically it's 6.  If I were to order a harness now, it would come with a 2024 tag.  There are FIA harnesses for $200 ($33/year).  The SFI harnesses are about $69 for 2 years, recert for $50(?) for $30/year.  :shrug:

I was thinking a nicer SFI harness like a crow since most FIA harnesses like the Schroth have those buttery smooth adjusters on them.

Apples to apples not cheapest overall.

So a 6 point Crow camlock is about $220 for 2 years, plus $55 for each of 2 recerts, $330.

Schroth Enduro $599......nope SFI still better deal.

Racequip makes an FIA certified 6 pt cam lock harness for $200. We had previously been using G-Force, and much prefer the Racequip. Much nicer adjusters.

http://www.racequip.com/seatbeltsharnes … ssets.html

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

I think I have that racequip. And after that harness and the HRX we have in the saab, I'm going back to Schroth for the BMW. Adjusting the HRX is impossibly hard. The Scroth we had was just so nice to use. Easly worth the $400 for a Profi III.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Guildenstern wrote:

I was thinking a nicer SFI harness like a crow since most FIA harnesses like the Schroth have those buttery smooth adjusters on them.

So a 6 point Crow camlock is about $220 for 2 years, plus $55 for each of 2 recerts, $330.

When I bought belts two years ago, I compared the same belts by the same manufacturer (truly apples to apples) and the FIA were $20 more than the SFI.  $20 for three extra years?  Yes please.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Details! What brand/model.

*crosses Fingers* don't say Takata, don't say Takata, don't say Takata.

Guildenstern wrote:

Details! What brand/model.

*crosses Fingers* don't say Takata, don't say Takata, don't say Takata.

I know it is not Takata.  I'll check the car tomorrow and get back to you.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013

Tanaka is the one subject to recall, not Takata.  I'm wondering how they went afoul of SFI.  I'm guessing they either made an Impact type no-no (printing their own SFI tags, SFI charges by the tag) or if it's because they let the buyer punch out the date tag and SFI 16.1 says harness life is 2 yrs from manufacture date.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

Tanaka is the one subject to recall, not Takata.  I'm wondering how they went afoul of SFI.  I'm guessing they either made an Impact type no-no (printing their own SFI tags, SFI charges by the tag) or if it's because they let the buyer punch out the date tag and SFI 16.1 says harness life is 2 yrs from manufacture date.

The latter we (I) know they did and reported them when they argued with me that they had authorization from SFI to do so...but that was almost a year ago.

I know I am several months behind on this reply, but here it is.  I know I said FIA for only $20 more than SFI.  Well, now it is $30.  Still well worth it for 3 more years of service.

https://www.amazon.com/G-Force-7500RD-P … B00EC9J76S

https://www.amazon.com/G-Force-7000RD-P … ZMP2S?th=1

piper.gras wrote:

Racequip makes an FIA...

We have those in the Mercedes diesel. If you're the only person that ever sits in that seat, they can be adjusted properly to work perfectly. When you have 4 different bodies to accommodate, they absolutely suck.

While I certainly understand the desire to save some green, my safety gear is not the place I scrimp.

Duff Beer Civic (#128) -- 2014 Sebring - Class B (#1 of 7), 2016 Barber - Class B
1981 Jet Electrica 007 [Plymouth Horizon TC3] (#128) -- Mk.1 - Index of Effluency Eco (IOEe) @ 2016 Lemons South Fall, Mk.2 - Judges' Choice @ 2017 'Shine Country Classic, Mk.3 - Index of Effluency @ 2017 Southern Discomfort

Guildenstern wrote:

FIA Schroth Belts for $395

https://www.teamdi.com/product/schroth- … h-harness/

I have this belt set and I've owned the Racequip FIA Belts.  The RaceQuips I'm sure are perfectly safe, but they are awful if you need to switch size drivers.  The Schroths are like butter, and $395 for 5 (really 6) years of use ($65/year and no frustration driver changes), you can't beat it.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners