Topic: The unofficial Suggestions box:

How about t-shirts with registration? I get 2 t-shirts when I register for Bonneville, plus patches and stickers and like 5 pit passes for $550. Plus a week of waiting in line for 3 minute attempts at fame, limited only by the mass of humanity trying to attempt the same.

Just a thought. I expect it to be ignored.

That guy

Re: The unofficial Suggestions box:

There used to be t-shirts. They were replaced with patches. 1 size fits all for patches. T-shirts are logistical issues with nothing to gain on their bottom line.

For the record, I'll take the patches over t-shirts any day.

My suggestion, "Good 'Nuff" stickers that are purpose made and weatherproof.  I like scotch taping the inspection stickers that are printed with an ink jet printer on Office Depot address labels to the inside of my windshield and all but I feel like I have 1,000 other things that I could do during a race weekend.

Another sticker suggestion, just leave a pile of the standard issue stickers out for people to grab as needed vs. sticking them in the registration envelopes.  9 years and 30 entries later I have quite a collection of stickers.  I do like the black background and the die cut ones though, so pack them in there..

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

$30 all-weekend passes are a bit steep for some folks.  I've had friends who wanted to come watch for a few hours one day, and then decide not to because they didn't want to drop $60 for the couple just for the day to watch the race. 

It's also a little annoying when your team has paid $1600 in entree fees, licenses, etc, and your spouse wants to come watch...and you get charged $30 for them to come along. 

It might encourage more people to come and become involved and start forming more teams, if it weren't so expensive just to come and watch. 

As a point of reference, this past weekend there was an SCCA race at Summit Point, and it was free to come spectate and camp for the weekend. 

Perhaps keep the $30 all-event rate, including camping, but offer a $5 or $10 day pass for folks who just want to come check it out and not stay for the whole weekend.  And maybe include one free 'spouse/ partner/ lover/ emotional support guru' pass per driver.

I do miss the free t-shirt, but realize that can get expensive for no real tangible benefit to the organizers.  Perhaps offer 1 half-price t-shirt per driver, per season?

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

How about a year long tech on your safety gear?  Having it to go through tech every single event seems silly to me.

Another vote here for weather-proof "Good 'Nuff" tech stickers.

Delete the rule about taping over mirrors, plastic headlight and taillight lenses.  Of all that sh*t that can fall off/be knocked off these cars, neither of these is likely to cause any harm.  Being able to actually "see" out of a mirror should be a safety concern, and don't tell me putting clear tape over it has no ill effects.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

How about a year long tech on your safety gear?  Having it to go through tech every single event seems silly to me.

Delete the rule about taping over mirrors, plastic headlight and taillight lenses.  Of all that sh*t that can fall off/be knocked off these cars, neither of these is likely to cause any harm.  Being able to actually "see" out of a mirror should be a safety concern, and don't tell me putting clear tape over it has no ill effects.

Mirrors don't need to be taped over.

rlchv70 wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

Mirrors don't need to be taped over.

Truth!

"3.J.9 Glass, Headlights, and Taillights. All glass windshields or windows must be OE-type automotive laminated or tempered glass. Driver’s- and passenger’s-side front windows must be removed, or left open behind fully encasing door panels. Headlights, taillights, and sidemarker lights must be removed or taped over."

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

VKZ24 wrote:

They started doing this last year. The gear tech sticker now has the year printed on it.

Prior to that, well, many of us had....ahem...stopped going to gear tech all together after the 15th or so identical sticker.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

They may have changed the wording at some point, but I can tell you we have failed tech in the past due to not taping the mirrors.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

^ IIRC, taping the mirrors/glass may be a track rule

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I was told that taping the mirrors was an old rule and was actually told in tech that I should take the tape off my mirrors so that I could see better. This was a couple years ago and I haven't had taped mirrors since.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

piper.gras wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

They started doing this last year. The gear tech sticker now has the year printed on it.

Prior to that, well, many of us had....ahem...stopped going to gear tech all together after the 15th or so identical sticker.

I still got a sticker at both races this year. Nobody told me I didn't need a new one. We should look for official confirmation of this.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

13 (edited by m610 2018-06-24 08:45 AM)

Restore the pageantry of the BS inspections and penalty box operations. It's gotten kind of bland, practical even.

Sell the "How On Fire Are We?" book though their web site! wink

Provide a fan guide of some kind for visitors and spectators. Such as:

Link: http://teamtinyvette.kstreetstudio.com/ … g-2018.pdf

but only with more pages and stuff.

cabinboy wrote:

I was told that taping the mirrors was an old rule and was actually told in tech that I should take the tape off my mirrors so that I could see better. This was a couple years ago and I haven't had taped mirrors since.

I'm pretty sure i have tape on the mirrors, when I replaced it cause it was old too a lot of goo begone to get rid of the last of the tape, and it was clearer with old tape on that the glue.  So not sure I would say to remove the tape at the race

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

15 (edited by Troy 2018-07-29 01:31 PM)

VKZ24 wrote:

They are the same all year.

VKZ24 wrote:

I totally agree with the Good Nuff stickers. We do a lot make our cars safe and reliable. How hard is a weatherproof tech sticker? It ain't rocket surgery. (Laser Printer would be a good start)

How about a vinyl version of the Patch for our cars? That would be cool and could be our tech sticker at the same time. Three total, one for the windshield and one for each side of the car.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Better quality decals.  Mine are 6 months old and look like my lemon.

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

squidrope wrote:

Better quality decals.  Mine are 6 months old and look like my lemon.

Feature not Bug.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Troy wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

They are the same all year.

VKZ24 wrote:

I totally agree with the Good Nuff stickers. We do a lot make our cars safe and reliable. How hard is a weatherproof tech sticker? It ain't rocket surgery. (Laser Printer would be a good start)

What I don't get is why print them as a sticker at all if they need to go inside the windshield? Why not just print them on blank stock and cut them down?

Answer probably: they bought a LOT of sticker paper all in one go.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

19 (edited by -SDR- 2018-12-17 07:56 PM)

mechimike wrote:

$30 all-weekend passes are a bit steep for some folks.  I've had friends who wanted to come watch for a few hours one day, and then decide not to because they didn't want to drop $60 for the couple just for the day to watch the race. 

It's also a little annoying when your team has paid $1600 in entree fees, licenses, etc, and your spouse wants to come watch...and you get charged $30 for them to come along. 

It might encourage more people to come and become involved and start forming more teams, if it weren't so expensive just to come and watch. 

As a point of reference, this past weekend there was an SCCA race at Summit Point, and it was free to come spectate and camp for the weekend. 

Perhaps keep the $30 all-event rate, including camping, but offer a $5 or $10 day pass for folks who just want to come check it out and not stay for the whole weekend.  And maybe include one free 'spouse/ partner/ lover/ emotional support guru' pass per driver.

I do miss the free t-shirt, but realize that can get expensive for no real tangible benefit to the organizers.  Perhaps offer 1 half-price t-shirt per driver, per season?

I do not disagree.....

That said:

I kind of understand the $30. "take it or leave it 2min-to-72hour spectator pass" thing.  For them to even attempt to do day passes would mean 4 different color wristbands to juggle in place of the ONE for spectators they have now, and add the two other color bands they already have, and they have staff from the track to train on all this too.  I'm sure a good part of that "almost all access pass" cost goes to insurance of some sort, so if they try to lower the price to say, one day, it might not wind up as one third the cost of a three day pass as one might think. The waiver you sign only helps them win in court, it does not keep them out of there altogether. Then, they will, most likely, have to deal with those that paid for one day and claim 'they paid for the three day pass but somehow must have got the wrong color yesterday' crap.

Maybe they could have a true spectator pass that is cheaper but won't let them in the pits. As far as friends and family coming to the race, well, if they really want to see us and our cars, they need a pit pass so they can see us working on the car in the pits..... this is Lemons…

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

VanillaHaze wrote:
piper.gras wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

I still got a sticker at both races this year. Nobody told me I didn't need a new one. We should look for official confirmation of this.

Some times the helmet sticker changes color.  I can't remember if it's happened during the year.  We make sure to send one driver through tech with his gear, and then make sure the sticker color hasn't changed.

That said, they insist on tech at every race for a reason.  Gloves wear out, gear can wear or get torn, they want to make sure we're not out there in holy racing suits (pun intended).

bs

Troy wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

How about a vinyl version of the Patch for our cars? That would be cool and could be our tech sticker at the same time. Three total, one for the windshield and one for each side of the car.

Not sure when it started, but at the Houston 24hr this past Nov the tech stickers are Vinyl. Of course, mine is hella-fading already, but it's not printed on paper.

For the CT race the stickers were SLIGHTLY better but by the end of test day ours was toast from getting wiped over by the wiper.  So I want to amend my suggestion.  Weatherproof "Good Niff" stickers and they should be placed either in the bottom driver side or the upper passenger side.  This will keep them out of the path of the wipers which can do a number on even a vinyl sticker.

I know this is a big ask but we would also love to see some consistency in the whole Friday test-day thing.  I understand why it is what it is but its also a pain in the ass to have a different cost, pay routine, who is allowed, etc.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

Why not just make stickers that go on the inside of the windshield?

bs

I race in the southeast and I can't remember ever seeing a tech sticker pasted on the outside of a windshield. We use clear packaging tape to tape the sticker in the upper corner driver side on the inside of the windshield. Works great, been doing it that way for about 8 years without an issue. Again, have never seen anybody do it another way.

Which drives the question, why are they even stickers? At first I just assumed they had extra 1/4 sheet sticker blanks they had to get rid of.

Now in 2018 I wonder did they get that many sticker blanks? Wouldn’t it be cheaper to just use 24 pound paper at this point?