Topic: Vehicle valuation question (bmw e36)

I'd like to enter my car. My car meaning the car I've been daily driving for the last 10+ years. It's an e36 328is with 340k miles on it. It's actually in remarkable shape (stock) considering the mileage and age. I've done all of the work on it. With kids and things on the way (and she can't drive a standard), we are picking up a newer 328 AWD 4-d sedan. So I have this thing that is in perfect mechanical and cosmetic condition. I have no doubt that it will make it to 500k miles (if I don't enter it into Lemons). I'd drive it cross-country tomorrow.

I know what I have into it (time, parts, etc.) but on paper or if I listed it on Craigslist tomorrow, I doubt I could get $750 for it. I'd probably have to settle in the $500 range. Maybe less, idk. kbb.com puts the car (in "very good" condition) at $179-$836 (trade in) with an average of $508. Private party puts it at $961-$2726 with an average of $1844.

Of course I'd sell some stuff (multi function steering wheel, rear view mirror with homelink and compass, keyless entry mods, radio mod for bluetooth phone integration, etc.) Low hanging fruit --stuff that people will jump on quick and be easy sales (and have no relevance to racing). I do finance and work with spreadsheets to pay the bills. I really don't want to have to do the whole dance of keeping track of every penny. Reality is the car has so many (not relevant to racing) add on features, I could probably easily part it out out to make the numbers work. I just don't want to. I don't have the time, don't want to put in the effort, I have the car --it's easier to give stuff away to friends/the BMW community and gut+cage this car.

Is it possible to get a valuation determination on the car in-advance? Would be my first car/entry. I raced for a number of years so I have a lot of go-fast parts, etc. and I can fabricate. I played the spec e30 game enough that I know how to cheat if I wanted to. I left that because it wasn't fun. I want to enter a Lemons car for fun more than being competitive. Not sure how all that factors in. My current idea (because Lemons has GVW restrictions) is to put a crazy (funny but not at all fast/competitive) shell over the e36 body/chassis so I don't think it would matter much. But if I can put together a team and we want to re-use the chassis & drivetrain, I want to get the valuation part out of the way up front. If not I'll go find a sh*tty $50 throw-away car and build that. If I build the e36 I'd like the opportunity to keep it and bring it back to another race as something else.

Thanks. Hope all that made sense.

Re: Vehicle valuation question (bmw e36)

In the end, it does not matter...no matter what you get to race...unless you are in one of the two regions that waitlist (west coast and Northeast) so who cares.  If you know it, love it and want to race it do just that.  What is the worst that can happen?  A few penalty laps when you have no hope of winning?  Prep it, make it safe, make it reliable, race it...then look for something more interesting to race some time down the road.

The official rule is that the cost basis is set based on what you paid for the car, not what it's worth.  Years ago back east I saw somebody try this with a Taurus SHO (I think, it's been a while), that they'd bought new, but had been beaten to sh*t in the mean time.  The cost basis ended up being the ~$17k they'd originally paid for the car.  Note, I have no idea if they're still treating things this way, but this is the way the rules are written.

So, I'd either pretend you bought the car from somebody else, or be prepared to have fun during your first race while incurring some number of penalty laps.  Have a good theme and bring a good bribe.

bs

Also note that only because it's a BMW, you will catch some crap from the judges.  Don't take it personal. Even if you've raced in this series with a Geo Metro for 10 years and they know who you are, the first time you show up with a BMW they will still give you crap and not believe a word you tell them.  That's just the price one pays for bringing a BMW to Lemons.  After a couple of races once they are assured that you are not some ringer team bringing a ringer car, they won't bother you anymore.  And the more you protest about it' being a shit car, a shit team, etc the longer it will take.  They operate under a "Don't trust but Verify" policy so you'll just have to demonstrate your inabilities on the track.  Make a a good faith effort to sell off what you can, document the transactions - take pictures of money changing hands/paypal receipts with clear description, etc, show up with a good theme, exhibit good humor and you'll be fine.  No, you won't win anything because you don't know what you don't know and the people doing this at the pointy end of the field have lots of experience and do know.  Make the thing safe, make it reliable, (i.e. replace guibo, front hubs, plastic cooling bits that fail) and you'll be fine.  Your location isn't included in your post.  Some races do sell out so if you tell people where you are/what races you plan to enter they can give advice.  For instance, out west here the Sears Point races are always massively oversubscribed (like roughly half the entrants don't get accepted at times) so you really have to stand out to get accepted.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I'm sure that any/every e36 gets some level of scrutiny but this does beg the question:
Has anyone every rolled FORWARD an odo in an attempt to reduce/remove scrutiny on a shitty car for Lemons?
At some point though, i suspect a judge might suspect a super high mileage car might actually be "fresher" than one with avg mileage b/c it's probably got new a new block, trans, and/or suspension bits.

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Well, one of my team members bought the running/driving E46 with the rear subframe ripped out that was advertised on this forum with an actual owner documented 240k original engine miles for the $500 asking price.  Didn't matter once it got to BS inspection, they didn't care about mileage.  In reality, why should they believe it?  I would imagine high mileage clusters do not sell well or for much in the junkyard.  Ultimately, bringing a BMW E3x to Lemons is considered to be pushing the "Easy" button"

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

bshorey wrote:

The official rule is that the cost basis is set based on what you paid for the car, not what it's worth.  Years ago back east I saw somebody try this with a Taurus SHO (I think, it's been a while), that they'd bought new, but had been beaten to sh*t in the mean time.  The cost basis ended up being the ~$17k they'd originally paid for the car.  Note, I have no idea if they're still treating things this way, but this is the way the rules are written.

So, I'd either pretend you bought the car from somebody else, or be prepared to have fun during your first race while incurring some number of penalty laps.  Have a good theme and bring a good bribe.

bs

Wait that doesn't make sense... My godfather legit gave me this car when I graduated college (for getting good grades). So technically I got it for $0. I still have all the receipts and paperwork to prove it. He had to gift it to my dad (his brother) and then my dad had to gift it to me to avoid sales tax (and BS DMV registration fees). Like I said, I have all that paperwork. I can prove I got this car for $0 so are you saying technically I'm starting at $0 with $500 I can spend? If that's the case I'll absolutely enter this car.

gunn wrote:

Has anyone every rolled FORWARD an odo in an attempt to reduce/remove scrutiny on a shitty car for Lemons?

Changing the mileage on an OBD-II e36 takes all of 5 minutes with a laptop. You just go in and change it. You don't have to roll anything forward. You can tell it to display in miles, kilometers, Fahrenheit, Celsius, etc. It's all software changes that can be done from a laptop. In my specific case, I've owned this car since 2003 and I have just about every receipt --and every state inspection report (which lists mileage). I'm proud that I've maintained my car enough that it has easily made it to 300k and will probably make it to 500k if I kept it on the road.

This is starting to sound crazy. I have a decent condition, higher mileage e36 that I can value at $0??

cheseroo wrote:

Ultimately, bringing a BMW E3x to Lemons is considered to be pushing the "Easy" button"

I see where you are coming from but I also disagree a little bit. I've always had BMWs. I did the last three clutches on my e36 and I've owned a slew of other BMWs. I own a bunch of BMW factory special tools, have TONS of spare parts, etc. I know the cars in & out. In terms of prep work, why would I want to make my life harder by going and getting a non-BMW? We'd be a new/rookie team. We are going to suck-a$$ our first few races no matter what. I was only asking because if I'm going to have issues with this e36 then I'll keep driving it or keep it on the road and look for a different car (probably another BMW).

1215 wrote:

I see where you are coming from but I also disagree a little bit. I've always had BMWs. I did the last three clutches on my e36 and I've owned a slew of other BMWs. I own a bunch of BMW factory special tools, have TONS of spare parts, etc. I know the cars in & out. In terms of prep work, why would I want to make my life harder by going and getting a non-BMW? We'd be a new/rookie team. We are going to suck-a$$ our first few races no matter what. I was only asking because if I'm going to have issues with this e36 then I'll keep driving it or keep it on the road and look for a different car (probably another BMW).

Your agreement or disagreement holds no sway with the judges so if you are getting hung up on this now, step back and decide if this is the series for you.  Aka, see my post.  If you are in-it-to-win-it in your first race verses have a good time and learn, you might have chosen the wrong series.  You will Get class A with an E36 first race unless you find a way to make it terrible (Iron Duke Swap, slant 6, etc) or have the most amazing theme ever (Dumpster fire).  You have a decent chance of getting laps but unlikely.

Stop focusing on "Valuation" and start deciding three things:

Why are you racing Lemons (cheap track time, fun atmosphere and people, running an old car hard, etc)
Are you prepared for the completely "arbitrary" rulings of the judges without getting bent out of shape (they are not arbitrary, just seem that way)
Am I racing this particular car in Lemons for the right reason (all those special tools and knowledge seems like yes)

The region you are in or race you want to enter would be a huge help.  Lots of "Boring" BMW's and Miata's get waitlisted in Cali and some in the NE.  Everywhere else, BS does not matter because you still get to race!

So what EXACTLY are you worried about?

bshorey wrote:

bs

Yah, that was more about Jay being in a bad mood because of another teams shenanigans, than it was about the provenance of our car. I donated the SHO to my HS Auto Shop program, about a year previous, and then we decided to build it for Lemons.

1215 - Your mileage may vary on BS penalty laps. Bring a good theme, good costumes, turn it into something less e36 and you may get off scot-free.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

OnkelUdo wrote:

Your agreement or disagreement holds no sway with the judges so if you are getting hung up on this now, step back and decide if this is the series for you.  Aka, see my post.  If you are in-it-to-win-it in your first race verses have a good time and learn, you might have chosen the wrong series.  You will Get class A with an E36 first race unless you find a way to make it terrible (Iron Duke Swap, slant 6, etc) or have the most amazing theme ever (Dumpster fire).  You have a decent chance of getting laps but unlikely.

Stop focusing on "Valuation" and start deciding three things:

Why are you racing Lemons (cheap track time, fun atmosphere and people, running an old car hard, etc)
Are you prepared for the completely "arbitrary" rulings of the judges without getting bent out of shape (they are not arbitrary, just seem that way)
Am I racing this particular car in Lemons for the right reason (all those special tools and knowledge seems like yes)

The region you are in or race you want to enter would be a huge help.  Lots of "Boring" BMW's and Miata's get waitlisted in Cali and some in the NE.  Everywhere else, BS does not matter because you still get to race!

So what EXACTLY are you worried about?

Maybe we got off on the wrong foot or maybe I came across the wrong way. You don't know me and I don't know you. It's been over ten years but all I know is very strict tech, spec e30, bmwcca and scca.

You ask what I'm worried about? I'm honestly worried about my personal safety and the safety of my team. All I know is tech where cage geometry is measured and scrutinized or when engines get torn down post-race.

So now I enter this world of (what is supposed to be fun) and I'm presented with 'BS inspection' where judges can do what they want depending on which way the wind blows that day. I walked away from racing because of BS like that. I'm sitting here trying to put together a team, eager and excited to race again --and I'm worried that I'm going to get dicked around over the car I show up with. I'm trying as hard as I can to learn the rules and comply with everything yet at the same time I'm being told that the judges can (and will) do whatever they want, whenever they want. What kind of example is that? Why can't I cheat too?

I have experience with BMWs. Not sure if you have ever owned or built a car. I've built six cars. All BMWs. t would be foolish of me to try and get into a different car. Entering a car that I'm familiar with makes it easier to finish which means we can focus on more important things like a theme or what we are going to eat/drink/bbq smoke trackside.

I think the other problem is I have no experience with Lemons so I don't know what actually happens vs. what is said on the forums. It's a decent chunk of change to bring a car to the track and I'll be bankrolling a lot of it. I'm asking these questions because I want to operate within the rules and the spirit of the race/event. I don't need to spend all that money and all that time worrying about a budget and itemizing receipts only to show up to tech with a 350# team member who currently cannot drive a manual transmission (not kidding, he's 350 on a good day) and get my balls busted over the car we happened to have. If you are going to bust my balls for no reason then why can't I cheat? If you are going to unfairly assign me laps or bump me up a class then why can't I pull one past you guys?

How about you just be decent and up front about things so you don't push away good racers who also happen to drink good beer and cook a mean pork shoulder?

DelinquentRacer wrote:

1215 - Your mileage may vary on BS penalty laps. Bring a good theme, good costumes, turn it into something less e36 and you may get off scot-free.

I'm starting to get turned off by all this BS. We have an original theme that we've been working on for two years. To our knowledge no one has done anything close to it yet. Would involve transforming the e36 into something that would make it completely not competitive. Not being able to get a straight answer might be a deal breaker. The crazier the theme the more money (and time) we'd have to put in. I'm not going to put that much into an unknown.

Starting to get turned off/discouraged.

Separate Tech and BS inspection in your mind and that might help.  They may happen at about the same time each race weekend (first tech, then BS) but one is not related to the other and they are normally performed by different people.

Most of what you need to know about tech is covered here in a simple graphical nature https://24hoursoflemons.com/wp-content … 051817.pdf  Failing to follow that means it has to be fixed before you are allowed on the track to race.  The actual rule book is about 8 pages.

BS Inspection does not stop you from racing...ever.

We have built three cars (1996 Saturn SC2, 1995 Trans Sport minivan, 1947 Plymouth Sedan) and the first one I did almost by myself.  I still cover the development costs of all cars 50/50 with the other car owner so I completely understand the time and expense.  This is why, having done this for 5 years, I am trying to make it clear that BS inspection does not matter your first race.

Build it safe
Make it reliable
Go race it and have fun

Our most elaborate theme, and we re-theme van every race, was about $200 to execute.

Bring your documentation if you are keeping it (I did my first race).  It might help. 

Maybe come out to race on a Friday to see the process of tech and BS.  I have hosted a lot of aspiring teams for that part of the experience because it is fun to watch and it helps get your head around it. 

If you need a professional valuation to be more comfortable, other low-buck series' give a specific formula for a valuation (horsepower to weight, points system, etc) and do not value themes.  This was the only reason I said you might want to step back for a second and think about why you are interested in Lemons.  Depending on where you are in the country there are other options if the "arbitrary" nature of BS is going to continue to bother you. 

Lemons does not exclude based on car but they encourage variety.  In particular, they enjoy the weird...especially the founder of the series.

From a previous 1215 thread from 09/17 [I'm again thinking this is a troll account; but, just in case it's not, here's a reminder for the o.p.]:

Intro and a few n00b questions:

TheEngineer wrote:

I'm going to try and outline this clearly and kindly.

You are missing the points on a lot of this stuff. Lemons, at it's heart, is a way for the average Joe to go racing as cheaply as possible, while understanding that cheap is relative. The point is to keep the playing field somewhat level and not let it become a battle of the bank accounts. The next important part is it needs to be fun. The organizers don't want a bunch of spec racer jerks who are going to argue the rules all the time (and they are good at making those types feel unwelcome back). What they want is a bunch of people that are fun to be around, creative, respectful, and interested in keeping the series in line with their intended goals.

So, with that stated, let's walk through some of what you've brought up.

Car choice. what the organizers want is a bunch of odd weird old cars that should never be on a race track. But they want them to be safe. So there are weight and wheelbase restrictions. However they understand we want to go fast, so if you bring a common cheaty BMW or miata, they want a damn good theme to prove you are in fact fun to be around. (and they do not want you arguing at BS inspection with their rulings). There are four common categories that most (but not all) people fall into.
1. You pick a car you know. Maybe it's that you used to race spec e30. or you've just had saabs all your life. Or you owned an old focus and just know it in and out. Whatever the case you know the car and you know how to fix it's week spots. So you pick that car and then figure out how to do it in budget and with a theme.
2. You pick a car at random and brute force your way though learning it. I did this. I picked a doge daytona because of reasons and spent a couple years learning how to make it slightly less terrible. Doing this forces you into category 1 after a while because you come to learn the car so well.
3. You go for the purposely weird. This is what wins you IOE (the real winner of Lemons). You pick something that should never have been on a track, ever, and make it do halfway well. This is where Heros are born.
4. you pick something that you think lets you sneak in and DOMINATE. Usually these are the teams that buy something modern and sporty thinking they're going to run away with the race. Like a modern BMW, or modern V8 merc, or a GTO. you know what happens to these teams? They do poorly.
Decide where you want to be. Do you want to show up and have a good time turning laps and partying? Go with 1. Do you want to learn, do fun things, maybe turn no laps, and maybe be a hero with your repairs? go with 2 or 3.

Themes. I get that you've latched onto boobs. It's been made clear. But truly great themes take effort and creativity. Showing up and pressing boobs into the judges faces will not make them ignore the fact that you brought a spec E46. How do you get things like e36 M3s into Lemons? You turn them into a garbage truck and spend the weekend helping collect trash.
http://www.roadkill.com/arizona-d-bags- … s-winners/
Good themes take creativity more than anything. Take a look at 3 Pedal Mafia for an example of a team that can pull off excellent well thought out themes over and over again.

Now let's talk BS inspection. There are two sides to BS inspection. First, it make sure people aren't cheating too badly. Second, to setup a good level playing field for that particular race. We'll tackle point 1 first. Recall what I said the main point of Lemons is. To be an affordable racing series. That gets ruined if the norm becomes everyone buying $2500 BMWs and cooking the books to make them look like $500 cars. BS inspection serves to discourage that and keep everyone looking at older more affordable cars. At the same time it fights performance creep. Teams that have been around a long time slowly make their cars faster and faster, inching that performance gap up and up. BS serves to take some of that out. Top teams may get a couple penalty laps to keep those teams in check with the rest of the field. This keeps the overall winner from blasting everyone away with a 20 lap lead every time.

Now the second part. Every race has a different field of cars and teams. The job of the judges is to setup 3 classes with some good competition. This is not easy. But they want all classes to have their own battles so that winning those classes feels like an accomplishment. If the winner of B is coming in 2nd overall, they didn't do a good job. New teams are harder to judge, because there is no past data. So if you show up with an e30, you're going in A until you prove you're not good at all. Once you get some races done you can argue to move up or down into a competitive place for your team.  If you're a jerk, or you argue with their decision, you're getting a harsher placement. If you work with them to prove that you're really hopeless and didn't cheat, you're getting a better placement. BS inspection is less to punish you and more to make the overall race fair and fun. Bribes and themes just add to the entertainment factor of that goal. Understand that and you'll go far.

So, where should you start as a new team. First, go to a damn race. Walk around, observe, talk to people, watch tech inspection and BS inspection. This will teach you far more than arguing here. Then, decide which category you want to fall into when it comes to cars. Pick your car and build it. Realize that your team may not follow you once you start asking for money. Figure out how to deal with it. Read the rules, several times, and build a car that meets them. Get a car to a race with a team and accept that you still have a learning curve to go through. Ask questions and listen to the answers. Everyone has been through different experiences and has something to offer that can and will help you. Try to have some fun instead of overthinking everything.

With all due respect to the OP, based on your responses to the various people trying to offer helpful advice on how the series works, I'm not quite sure Lemons is the appropriate venue for your desires.  There does exist other budget endurance racing series. 

If you want a valuation from a Lemons judge, email judgephil@24hoursof Lemons.com

Gone bye-bye

General vagueries:

- Anything with an M52 is going to be in Class A unless you weigh it down with an extra 500 pounds.

- Any E36 is going to get an extra few minutes of scrutiny and some pointed questions. Can't really say much beyond that without seeing the car. That's the point of BS Inspection. It's assumed you're cheating. Don't feel special about that...everyone with a BMW, Miata, Mustang, etc. is cheating, too. Come up with a plausible story, clever budgeting, and low expectations. You'll still get to race no matter what else happens.

- A good theme really will reduce the scrutiny by a lot. The garbage-truck E36 probably had every M part in the catalog on it, but who cares? Look at the damn thing:

http://www.roadkill.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Org-Choice-1.jpg

- A clever bit of bribing (More than just an expensive bourbon...not every judge drinks, mind you) lets the judges know you "get" it and are mostly around to have fun.

Specific things:

- If you want to talk about what the theme is, Cheseroo is on the money: Email Phil and/or me with your idea. Sounds like it's a good one if you pull it off.

- We get a lot of people who convert their street cars to Lemons duty. If it's plausibly toe-up from the flo' up, you won't get a ton of crap. But if you loaded it up with suspension parts 5 years ago that are still on it, expect to have to explain those.

- More than anything, just come to a race to check it out in person, ideally on Friday to see Tech and BS inspections. That goes a long way to explaining that the arbritrary nature of BS Inspection isn't really as limiting or crippling to your ability to have fun as the general impression is.

Cheers.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

bshorey wrote:

bs

A counterpoint. Our Saab. It was my dad's daily for 8 years. He bought it brand new and was the only owner. When he bought a new car after that every dealer offered at most $1000 for it, so that's what we used as it's value at the time of building it for Lemons. The judges didn't argue at all.

I know that a saab and a BMW are a little different, but just offering that data point. I think they'll be fine.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Going to try and reply in one post so will quote parts of replies for simplicity. It is not my intention to quote anything out of context.

OnkelUdo wrote:

1. Separate Tech and BS inspection in your mind and that might help.  They may happen at about the same time each race weekend (first tech, then BS) but one is not related to the other and they are normally performed by different people.

2. BS Inspection does not stop you from racing...ever.

3. make it clear that BS inspection does not matter your first race.

4. Build it safe
Make it reliable
Go race it and have fun

5. Maybe come out to race on a Friday to see the process of tech and BS.  I have hosted a lot of aspiring teams for that part of the experience because it is fun to watch and it helps get your head around it.

6. If you need a professional valuation to be more comfortable, other low-buck series' give a specific formula for a valuation (horsepower to weight, points system, etc) and do not value themes.  This was the only reason I said you might want to step back for a second and think about why you are interested in Lemons.  Depending on where you are in the country there are other options if the "arbitrary" nature of BS is going to continue to bother you. 

7. Lemons does not exclude based on car but they encourage variety.  In particular, they enjoy the weird...especially the founder of the series.

Thank you. That was a huge help. I don't mean to come across as a stuffy jerk. We really are a fun group. It's just that some of us are competitive (mostly me) and I don't like the idea of going into something knowing we could get BS penalty laps from the start... Forever.

Starting with #7: I asked a few months back about waivers and such. The team I've put together is comprised of rather large (wide, not tall) males and all of us are married to petite nurses. I had a line on a 1950's right hand drive International Travelall ambulance but I was informed that I probably wouldn't get a weight waiver. Would have been a great theme. We know lots of real (and attractive) nurses who like cars/racing.

I know the e36 is pressing the "easy button" but I own it (and I guess technically since it was given to me my cost basis is $0 therefore I'd be dumb not to try and use it). The devil you know... I've maintained the car. I know what it needs to be reliable. I guess I could always swap a 1.8L M10 with a 4 speed into it. Have a few of those laying around.

#6, Most of us are on a BBQ competition team together too. This is just a bunch of idiots looking to have fun. They have no clue what I roped them into. I'm getting my panties all up in a bunch over BS laps and one of the guys can't even drive a standard. (and he weighs north of 350# which will present challenges...) I don't think any of us are looking at this as cheap track time. We are looking to meet people and have a good time. If I wanted to put together a race team and build a legit track car, none of them would be interested. They are only in it for the themes and fun.

#5, I think that would help. I'd like that. How do I go about it? Just show up?

#4, that is our exact goal.

#3, I'm sorry if I came across as if I was looking to win or be super competitive. I am a competitive person but as I mentioned, one of the guys doesn't even know how to drive a standard. We'll show up with a car that will make it the whole weekend... assuming they don't hit anyone or crash it into something.

#2, I think my point was that if we end up wanting to race again and we want to re use this car I don't want to be 5 years into it (with a semi-experienced team) and still getting jerked around with BS inspection.

#1, that does help to know they are separate. Some of the stuff I've seen (cages, welding, etc.) is scary. Hopefully whoever is running tech knows their stuff.

Thanks again.

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

From a previous 1215 thread from 09/17 [I'm again thinking this is a troll account; but, just in case it's not, here's a reminder for the o.p.]:

What exactly is the trolling part of what I asked? I have prior racing experience, I can build cars and I know nothing about Lemons --but it looks like fun and it's something I'm interested in. Where is the trolling? Does this forum have an ignore button? If it does not they I would ask you to please ignore my posts/comments and do not participate in them. I'm curious about Lemons and your comments are reflecting poorly on your community.

therood wrote:

General vagueries:

- Anything with an M52
- Any E36... scrutiny... pointed questions.
Can't really say much beyond that without seeing the car.
It's assumed you're cheating.
- A good theme
- A clever bit of bribing

Specific things:

- talk about what the theme is
- We get a lot of people who convert their street cars to Lemons duty
- just come to a race to check it out in person, ideally on Friday

Thanks. That helps. I've come up with a few themes and I've had a few email exchanges with organizers about them. Every time the vehicle waiver (due to vehicle weight) was the hurdle we couldn't get past. I have no clue about a theme right now. My wife is knocked up, the car I've been driving is 20 years old, has 297k miles on it and she says it needs a new one by the time the baby comes. When you say "can't say anything without seeing the car". It's bone stock. Go onto Wikipedia and look at a photo of a brand new December 1997 production 328is. I put in a single mass flywheel last clutch and I bought a shifter with aftermarket bushings at that time too. I have a cold air intake thing with a K&N filter and I've done my own tune (optimized for fuel efficiency). Most everything on the car has been replaced but with stock parts. Zero performance upgrades. It is a very mint/clean, bone stock 328is.

We have planned on going to races several times in the last few years and every time I've gotten called away for work. Hopefully this summer/fall.

So the whole "it's assumed you are cheating" thing. Do people really cheat that bad? I think I'm getting all bent out of shape because I don't plan on cheating so I feel like the least I could get in return is a fair deal. Because if it's assumed I'm cheating, I might as well cheat. (not that it would matter our first few races, we would be a disaster).

The bribe part we think we have a few good non-booze related ideas. Biggest concern is I don't want to destroy this car and then have it be a total flop/fail/regret. It is a perfectly good street car right now. Maybe I should show up to a Friday and watch. Make sure it's really a good event for us to try and participate in.

TheEngineer wrote:

A counterpoint. Our Saab. It was my dad's daily for 8 years. He bought it brand new and was the only owner. When he bought a new car after that every dealer offered at most $1000 for it, so that's what we used as it's value at the time of building it for Lemons. The judges didn't argue at all.

I know that a saab and a BMW are a little different, but just offering that data point. I think they'll be fine.

I'd rock an old school 900 and if I could get my hands on a super old 2-stroke saab I'd absolutely do it. If you put yourself in my shoes I don't think anyone would blame me. None of the guys I roped into this have a clue about suspension geometry, spring rates, etc. They all take their cars to the stealership to change their oil. We are going to have to rent track time prior to an event just so it's not their absolute first time ever on a track.

1215 wrote:

So the whole "it's assumed you are cheating" thing. Do people really cheat that bad?

Yes they do, and many times they get beat by 3 cylinder Geo Metros or Pontiac minivans.

1215 wrote:

Biggest concern is I don't want to destroy this car and then have it be a total flop/fail/regret. It is a perfectly good street car right now.

Rule 1.6: Your Car May Be Destroyed at Any Time: This is racing. Accidents and other unfortunate boo-boos happen. We don’t crush stuff anymore, but that was never the point; the point was, you should never bring a car to the track if you aren’t ready to lose it there.

Just build your car, if you don't get into the races you want, come race in the Midwest. We have plenty of E30, 36, 46, cars winning and losing here.

1215 wrote:

Biggest concern is I don't want to destroy this car and then have it be a total flop/fail/regret. It is a perfectly good street car right now.

The first rule of doing anything on a track: Never take a vehicle that you are not 100% ok with totaling and never seeing again. Doesn't matter if it's a basic HPDE track day or wheel to wheel racing. If you will have a problem with never driving that car again, don't put it on track.

Your car will take damage in Lemons. It might get 100% totaled. It will never really be a street car ever again. If you don't like that idea, find another car.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

1215 wrote:

I had a line on a 1950's right hand drive International Travelall ambulance but I was informed that I probably wouldn't get a weight waiver.

Lemons HQ wouldn't give me a waiver for a fourth-generation Travelall, so I suspect that is correct.

1215 wrote:

...if I could get my hands on a super old 2-stroke saab I'd absolutely do it.

Yes, please. Lemons needs more two-strokes. The series has had one 96 V4 that was given a two-stroke transplant and one factory two-stroke 96 (mine), but you could still be the first with a two-stroke 95 wagon or a two-stroke Sonett. Factory two-stroke examples of either of those are rather rare and generally pricey but a powertrain swap into a later V4 car would be relatively straightforward.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

1215 wrote:

Going to try and reply in one post so will quote parts of replies for simplicity. It is not my intention to quote anything out of context.

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

What exactly is the trolling part of what I asked? I have prior racing experience, I can build cars and I know nothing about Lemons --but it looks like fun and it's something I'm interested in. Where is the trolling? Does this forum have an ignore button? If it does not they I would ask you to please ignore my posts/comments and do not participate in them. I'm curious about Lemons and your comments are reflecting poorly on your community.

On every forum that I participate in, I always assume best intentions from the participants.
In my experience on this forum 99.5%, or greater, of the posts are posted with best intentions. The
few times that I have seen anything negative posted, it is usually because of a misunderstanding, and possibly poor word choice.
On vary rare occasions, a post has been insensitive. As a whole, this is a VERY helpful, and supportive community.

As to the Lemons experience (My personal take):

• You don't have to have a great theme, or a new theme. Judges may misunderstand your theme and dislike it intensely until they understand it. (Personal experience.) A great theme, or at least a serious effort at a theme, demonstrates that you get Lemons. It can also help gain you entry to oversubscribed races.

• BS laps don't mean much if you haven't already figures out how to win a two-day endurance race with your car and team. My first race
    we received no BS laps. and finished 30th because it was nearly a demo derby and the car was tank-like. My second race in the same care we received 1400  BS laps. Why? Well, the first race we showed up so late that the judges mostly just waived us through since we were a team of 1 - HS Auto Shop Teacher and 4 - Students. The same car years later has been classed as both A-Class (A total joke in my view) and B-Class a different races. It didn't really matter, because we hadn't figured out how to win, or weren't serious enough about it to care. Someday, it will matter, but until then, Meh.

• Lemons takes safety very seriously. Any car that has had serious damage in a crash or other failures (read 10' flames shooting up over my windshield and roofline) receives intense scrutiny after the incident, and prior to racing again. I've had some overly cautious tech inspectors with some overly cautious change requirements, but the rules are straightforward and easy enough to meet. They have also changed over the years to reflect lessons learned by the organizers.

• Driving in Lemons races can be a lot of fun, and very instructive. However, you must remember that this is the dull end of the racing driver stick. There are no racing lines, only racing lanes. Change lanes at the wrong time and you'll likely find a upside-down Camaro, helicopter, boat, garbage truck, tractor, skunk, or other ridicules vehicle on "your" line. With that said, it's a GREAT way to learn to race in traffic, and a pretty damn good way to find where the traction is "off-line".

• Lemons is supposed to be fun, serious racing. Test yourself, your car, and your team. IF you're not enjoying the experience, then you are probably too competitive, and Lemons isn't for you. It sounds like it is exactly what you're looking for, though.

• Lemons is not going to destroy your race car. Racing will do that for you. Just remember that other teams may have high school drivers, or drivers that don't know how to drive a manual transmission, or any other combination of inexperience that could end with unfavorable outcomes. As you seem to understand, $h!t Happens in racing. Your car may be irreparably damaged during use through very little fault of your own.

I hope this helps move you in the direction of participation and not away from it.
If any of the above maunderings dissuade you from racing in Lemons ignore them, please.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

I'm not a Lemons judge, just an idiot who's been doing this for 5-6 years, so take this with a grain of salt. A stock E36 with a mediocre theme will be in Class A, possibly with no laps, possibly with a few. A good theme will probably ensure no penalty laps, but getting in a slower class than A is unlikely without a hilariously bad engine swap. (Read the rules and you'll understand that your car is not $0 just because it was a gift.) Even if you get laps your first time, that doesn't mean you'll get laps forever. Like others have said, once the judges realize you're not a ringer team with a cheaty car they'll go easier on you.

Luckily, penalty laps don't matter your first time out because you're not going to win your first time out, or your second or third, because there's far more to winning an endurance race than just having a fast and reliable car. Just understand that driving too aggressively, getting black flags, and generally being a douchebag will get you parked or kicked out quicker than anything.

Just come watch a race sometime. You're going to get a much better sense of what it's all about and what to expect than you will from forum posts. $30 at the gate gets you a spectator wristband for the whole weekend. Show up on Friday morning so you can watch Tech and BS inspection. Ask questions. Just keep in mind the judges will be busy when they've got a line of 40 cars waiting to go through inspection.

Did you ever say where you're located?

1215 wrote:
bshorey wrote:

bs

Wait that doesn't make sense... My godfather legit gave me this car when I graduated college (for getting good grades). So technically I got it for $0. I still have all the receipts and paperwork to prove it. He had to gift it to my dad (his brother) and then my dad had to gift it to me to avoid sales tax (and BS DMV registration fees). Like I said, I have all that paperwork. I can prove I got this car for $0 so are you saying technically I'm starting at $0 with $500 I can spend? If that's the case I'll absolutely enter this car.

<snip>

Here's the actual rule on pricing:

4.1: Total Investment in Vehicle Can Not Exceed $500: Except for items described in Rules 4.2 and 4.3, the total spent to purchase and prepare any car may not exceed $500.
4.1.1: Lame-Ass Rationalizations: Cars that “should be” worth $500 don’t count; cars that “were worth $500” before you spent another $2000 to fix them don’t count; cars you’ve owned for 20 years and spent more than $500 on during that time don’t count; “it would have been worth $500 if it didn’t already have a cage” doesn’t count. Five hundred dollars means five hundred frickin’ dollars.
4.1.2: Lame-Ass Rationalizations About Parts: Same deal. “Free” parts, parts given to you by your buddies, parts left lying around the shop…that crap doesn’t impress us. It’s worth whatever the last real guy paid in the last real purchase. Don’t think you’re clever.

So by the letter of the rule, it would be based on what your grandfather, or whomever originally paid for it.

As others have chimed in, how this is actually enforced may vary.  And again, if it were me I'd probably just save myself the trouble and fabricate a really good story (and theme).

I've found the organizers to be very reasonable.  I think it has as much to do with your attitude when you show up for inspection as it does with the car itself.

bs

DelinquentRacer wrote:

On every forum that I participate in, I always assume best intentions from the participants.

DelinquentRacer, thanks. That was my intention....

1215 wrote:

... My godfather legit gave me this car when I graduated college (for getting good grades)...

... and your theme is right in there somewhere, I'm sure. . . has Ivy-League Yuppie Mafia been a theme yet?

Here's the actual rule on pricing:

4.1: Total Investment in Vehicle Can Not Exceed $500: Except for items described in Rules 4.2 and 4.3, the total spent to purchase and prepare any car may not exceed $500.
4.1.1: Lame-Ass Rationalizations: Cars that “should be” worth $500 don’t count; cars that “were worth $500” before you spent another $2000 to fix them don’t count; cars you’ve owned for 20 years and spent more than $500 on during that time don’t count; “it would have been worth $500 if it didn’t already have a cage” doesn’t count. Five hundred dollars means five hundred frickin’ dollars.
4.1.2: Lame-Ass Rationalizations About Parts: Same deal. “Free” parts, parts given to you by your buddies, parts left lying around the shop…that crap doesn’t impress us. It’s worth whatever the last real guy paid in the last real purchase. Don’t think you’re clever.

So by the letter of the rule, it would be based on what your grandfather, or whomever originally paid for it.

As others have chimed in, how this is actually enforced may vary.  And again, if it were me I'd probably just save myself the trouble and fabricate a really good story (and theme).

I've found the organizers to be very reasonable.  I think it has as much to do with your attitude when you show up for inspection as it does with the car itself.

bs

If you really care about the valuation, then email Judge Phil. If not, build the car to run and be safe. Unless you try to sneak in a something incredibly rare and valuable, they won't care. You just may get penalty laps into oblivion. You won't win anyway so don't worry about it and have fun.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner