Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

TheEngineer wrote:

So this will be the first car that should have been a default IOE to actually get penalty laps?

That just adds to the awesomeness of it.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Guildenstern wrote:

I though you were going to say "[it] will save you some time, you won't need to worry about winning since you'll be filling up the tank half the race weekend."

It does have a factory 27 gallon fuel tank...

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner

Mr.Yuck wrote:

You do know you'll  have to paint it viper red right???

paint???? pssshhh I think making the car look nicer is not going to help my penalty laps.

darkostoj wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

I though you were going to say "[it] will save you some time, you won't need to worry about winning since you'll be filling up the tank half the race weekend."

Rules state that a max of 24 gallons are allowed. I forget what the ruling is on OEM tanks that happen to be larger, but you probably want to email HQ and ask. Would suck to show up to a race a learn you can't run with that tank.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

55 (edited by OnkelUdo 2018-08-01 06:54 AM)

TheEngineer wrote:

So this will be the first car that should have been a default IOE to actually get penalty laps?

We insisted on our Penalty lap for the '47 Plymouth so we could honestly claim is fit the letter of the rules.  It won IoE but we were about $80 over.

56 (edited by Team Infinniti 2018-08-01 06:57 AM)

TheEngineer wrote:
darkostoj wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

Rules state that a max of 24 gallons are allowed. I forget what the ruling is on OEM tanks that happen to be larger, but you probably want to email HQ and ask. Would suck to show up to a race a learn you can't run with that tank.

How did 3 pedal mafia deal with this?

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Team Infinniti wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:
darkostoj wrote:

How did 3 pedal mafia deal with this?

I could have sworn its OK if its OEM, but if you swap in a fuel tank it is limited to 24 gallons.

No, the 24 gal limit doesn't specify between OEM and fuel cell.  My WAG is they didn't know the 3PM Rolls was 27gal.  In any case, I'm sure a workaround is available if asked.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

59 (edited by Spank 2018-08-01 08:54 AM)

24 gallon is intended for Fuel Cells or aftermarket fueling systems. Having a stock, OEM fuel tank that is larger than 24gal is AOK.

Was privy to this discussion previously when there were accusations that someone had swapped in a factory diesel OEM tank into their BMW something-or-other. The conversation was met with a bunch of "meh" shrugs. When the horse was continually kicked, there was lots of ridicule placed on the Mr. Tattletale.

When this was later brought up yet again around said team, and it was confirmed that there indeed was NO such swap, the discussion continued and in addition to a bunch of "So What"s it continued to, "And I mean even if they did, good for them. It's an OEM tank. WhatAreWeGonnaDo? You want to shop around for cars that have a 30gallon OEM tank and it's the tank that was spec'd for the car when it rolled out of the factory, more power to you. I'm sure having that additional 8 gallons means they are 'Totally Gonna Dominate.' Ya know, people need to just worry about their own shit and quit bitching about other people's shit."

I later donned the shoe and kicked at the horse myself when there weren't so many spectators, and there was more clarification but this time from a man in a dress, "Dude, dude, look, look, I mean, if that's the tank that came in the car from the factory then it's fine. That's fine. That's ok. If they want to go swap a diesel tank into a car that came with a factory gas motor, then that's not fine. Because there are different strap hangars, sometimes the floor pressings are different, the frame rails are notched, I mean whatever. Ok? Ok? I mean, dude, if you want to swap a gas motor into a car that was a factory diesel and keep the diesel tank, that's fine. But dude, now we're talking fuel pumps, fuel lines, all kids of shit that I gotta look at. But if it's the stock tank in the car, and it came in that chassis, and it's got some huge capacity, and it's not someone putting a crown vic on some frame rails from an F250 with factory dual tanks, and all the other shit is right, then it's fine. It's fine. But if you start welding in return lines to the tank, or then need to get inside of the tank and swap out the pump or some other shit, then it's not fine. It's not stock. BMW did NOT put a high pressure gas fuel pump with a return line in their diesel cars. They just didn't do that. THAT'S not OEM, so technically that's not allowed. But if they want to try and run their gas motor with a diesel pump, go right ahead. It's not gonna work.. I mean, it'll work for a little while... I gotta see it. I gotta talk to the guys. OEM is OEM, and that shit is fine, but if they start modifying shit, then I gotta see it. I gotta see it."

If HQ is ok with OEM tanks being that large, then cool. I couldn't remember, and the rulebook doesn't specify. In fact the rulebook only says "max of 24 gallons" with no other clarifying statements. I raised it only because it would suck to show up and find out you interpreted it differently than the tech guy.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

it would suck to show up and find out you interpreted it differently than the tech guy.

That can (and does) still happen. There does seem to be a pretty heavy amount of "don't ask don't tell" swirling around.

darkostoj wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

paint???? pssshhh I think making the car look nicer is not going to help my penalty laps.

pssss who cares how many you get.. that is not the point. cool build. hey might as well go all the way and hang a couple of hair dryers on it

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

TheEngineer wrote:

If HQ is ok with OEM tanks being that large, then cool. I couldn't remember, and the rulebook doesn't specify. In fact the rulebook only says "max of 24 gallons" with no other clarifying statements. I raised it only because it would suck to show up and find out you interpreted it differently than the tech guy.

I always took it that the stock system was okay and that fuel cell systems were limited to 24gallons. That being said, most cars that would have a stock tank over 24gallons would exceed the weight limit anyway so it was a moot point.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Mr.Yuck wrote:
darkostoj wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

pssss who cares how many you get.. that is not the point. cool build. hey might as well go all the way and hang a couple of hair dryers on it

Trust me, all nice paint will get you is MORE shit in BS and hella penalty laps. Bought that T-shirt.

Nobody has gotten penalty laps for JUST nice paint. Unless it was grimy black paint hiding fancy suspension bits.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

Nobody has gotten penalty laps for JUST nice paint. Unless it was grimy black paint hiding fancy suspension bits.

I agree, but let me clarify what I meant. Nice paint and some cheaty bits are going to mean an assumption of major cheatyness whether or not it exists. If you show up with decent paint your going to get looked at a little closer.Just my observation from my admittedly very limited experience. Probably won't mean jack on a Rolls though.

How Cheaty is "Some Cheaty" because believe me, they can smell that stuff from your paddock space. No amount of pretty or not pretty can change that.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

68 (edited by darkostoj 2018-08-01 04:14 PM)

So how many penalty laps you guys thing I'm getting??? neutral

I wonder if they will leave me alone if the car has tiger paws lol

69 (edited by chaase 2018-08-01 04:19 PM)

darkostoj wrote:

My guess is a LOT since you will be way over anything resembling a budget. If I am the judges, I claim the car just for the Viper engine/transmission. That is worth major $$$$$$. You would be much safer using the existing engine or just some run of the mill truck V8. You are not trying to hide it but I would seriously consider changing engines or talking to HQ about the plan. They may be fine with it, but the cheapest Viper engine on eBay is around $6000.00, the transmission is expensive also.

chaase wrote:
darkostoj wrote:

So how many penalty laps you guys thing I'm getting??? :|

My guess is a LOT since you will be way over anything resembling a budget. If I am the judges, I claim the car just for the Viper engine/transmission. That is worth major $$$$$$. You would be much safer using the existing engine or just some run of the mill truck V8. You are not trying to hide it but I would seriously consider changing engines or talking to HQ about the plan. They may be fine with it, but the cheapest Viper engine on eBay is around $6000.00, the transmission is expensive also.

I was originally planning on a 5.3L LS engine, but I mean....the viper engine is just sitting there.....what a shame to not use it.

71 (edited by chaase 2018-08-01 04:29 PM)

darkostoj wrote:
chaase wrote:
darkostoj wrote:

I was originally planning on a 5.3L LS engine, but I mean....the viper engine is just sitting there.....what a shame to not use it.

I would love to see you do it, but the Viper engine is not really in the spirit of the rules. The judges would love to see a Rolls Royce out there and will be willing to look past a lot in the name of making it track worthy. You are pushing it using the Viper drivetrain. Personally, I would check w/HQ. They may not care, especially with a great theme but I would still check with them.

darkostoj wrote:
chaase wrote:
darkostoj wrote:

The other thing to consider is that the LS will have amazing parts availability if there is a problem. The Viper engine...is a different matter.

73 (edited by darkostoj 2018-08-02 07:27 PM)

chaase wrote:
darkostoj wrote:
chaase wrote:

The other thing to consider is that the LS will have amazing parts availability if there is a problem. The Viper engine...is a different matter.

Viper engines are tough

They won't care. And they won't claim your car.

Build what you want. Race what you want. Expect that you may possibly get penalty laps from time to time to satisfy whiners (like me) and to throw up some semblance that they DO care. But, really, build and bring whatever you want. When a Yugo finishes higher than you in the standings it'll make good wrapup video fodder.

However, at this point (and please don't take offense), I'd say the over / under of this car actually showing up to compete at a Lemons race and being tech ready ain't too good.

I DO hope I'm wrong.

75 (edited by darkostoj 2018-08-01 04:45 PM)

Spank wrote:

They won't care. And they won't claim your car.

Build what you want. Race what you want. Expect that you may possibly get penalty laps from time to time to satisfy whiners (like me) and to throw up some semblance that they DO care. But, really, build and bring whatever you want. When a Yugo finishes higher than you in the standings it'll make good wrapup video fodder.

However, at this point (and please don't take offense), I'd say the over / under of this car actually showing up to compete at a Lemons race and being tech ready ain't too good.

I DO hope I'm wrong.

Well, I am working on having the car ready by the October 11th race at Gingerman. 

I hope I can make it.  This whole thing has to be built in 2 months!

I was planning on doing a solid rear axle and 3 link, but I was also debating on keeping the rear suspension stock.  That way there is something crappy still on the car.

Goal is to have the subframe, engine, and trans sitting in the car by this weekend with the car rolling.