Topic: Any market for a somewhat "turnkey" Crap Can?

So here is the deal, I have a running, driving but lightly rolled '78 Camaro that I acquired. I was going to repair it and flip it but am considering another avenue now. If I full safety ready it, ie cage, fire system, belts , kill switch, seat ,etc. fix the body and cheaply paint it would it be feasible to sell it the $4000-$4500 range? Considering that a cage with install is at a minimum $2500 I myself don't think that is a bad price for a add wheels/tires and brakes & go racing type deal.

Basically I am looking to get it out of my storage unit and make a little money to fund my racing habit while getting my shop name out there as a "Lemons friendly" cage builder.

Flame away!

Re: Any market for a somewhat "turnkey" Crap Can?

$2500 seems like the average price for turnkey, race proven cars, that typically include spares.

Nice ones go for a bit more, and crappy ones a bit less.

$4500 is probably wishful thinking unless you had a very specific buyer.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Fishah wrote:

$2500 seems like the average price for turnkey, race proven cars, that typically include spares.

Nice ones go for a bit more, and crappy ones a bit less.

$4500 is probably wishful thinking unless you had a very specific buyer.

Yeah I thought as much, $2500 wouldn't cover parts and materials.

I could see you getting that price if you found someone who wanted a car that hadn't been raced before, but didn't have the mechanical know-how to do anything. The problem is that person would then be unequipped to deal with any issues that arise at the track.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Meaning you then turn into a racetrack babysitter for them because you know they'll make it your problem.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

You're honestly better off trying to make money with A&D and full rental packages. But that means your race weekend becomes a job.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Hanger 18 Customs wrote:

So here is the deal, I have a running, driving but lightly rolled '78 Camaro that I acquired. I was going to repair it and flip it but am considering another avenue now. If I full safety ready it, ie cage, fire system, belts , kill switch, seat ,etc. fix the body and cheaply paint it would it be feasible to sell it the $4000-$4500 range? Considering that a cage with install is at a minimum $2500 I myself don't think that is a bad price for a add wheels/tires and brakes & go racing type deal.

Basically I am looking to get it out of my storage unit and make a little money to fund my racing habit while getting my shop name out there as a "Lemons friendly" cage builder.

Flame away!

Not worth it IMO.

Average used Lemons cars go for about $2500 to $3000, the only way you'd get more out of a Lemons car is if it was a proven winner and competitive in the other low cost series, and included a lot of extras.  This would be a new car though that likely wouldn't be all that competitive without some major modifications. 

You will spend more to build it than you'd get out of it.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Especially if you're trying to sell it as a Lemons car, paint wouldn't matter. We knew we weren't getting back what we put into ours, but wrote it off because of how much fun we had racing it. Going to try to sell ours now but know it will be a loss.