Topic: Q: looking for advice/recs for 1pc SFI 3.2A/5 driver suits & materials
My teammate and I have been using the basic OMP cotton FRC suits we bought for Lemons back in 2010. These are the basic suits you wear with nomex underwear & because it's fire retardent cotton, you are limited on the # of times you can wash the outer layer.
Since we are planning to enter the Mexican 1000 next year, it's high time that we consider upgrading.
* NORRA rules require a 1pc suit and whilwe we could technically use the setup we have now, we'd like to upgrade. Temps in Baja run ~80F average.
* Our budget is probably up to the $600-750 price point. I know they make $1.5K suits (or higher) but we aren't that baller.
* I want to avoid fire retardant cotton. This knocks out the cheapest suits.
* My initial homework has found a bunch of suits in the $400-$600 price range that are SFI 3.2/A5, multi-layer, and made of NOMEX, Aramid (Kevlar), or both.
* While all suits have a TPP (time to crispy) rating of 19 or 10 sec to 2nd degree burn to earn the rating of SFI 3.2/A5, some exceed this rating (but i guess not enough to merit the next higher SFI rating).
Q: Can someone give me an opinion of NOMEX vs Aramid and which is lighter weight/more breathable/wears better?
Q: what other features I should be looking at and why should i pay for something at the higher end of my range vs the lower. I have a pretty average build (5' 10" & 170LB) so most items in "medium" will fit me.
Models I found
Here are all the brands & models I found that seem to match the above specs/criteria but I'm not sure how to pick between them.
K1 Racing (seems to be a well priced brand): Precision, Vintage, GT. I kind of like their vintage look and this is what I would probably pick in the absence of any specific suggestions).
Simpson Super Sport, Standard, Sportsman Elite II, UTV
GFORCE GF545, GF745
Alpinestars Knoxville, Delta, GP Start
Impact Racing The Racer
Here's a Breakdown of the Features That the Suits Seem to Highlight.
Bootcut or Straight
360 degree Arm Gussets
"Ribbed or Velco Arm & Ankle Cuffs
Anatomical Arm, Leg, and Torso paneling"
Lumbar Elastric Stretch
Sateen, Matte, or Gabardine finish
Q: What features should i care about in a desert environment (which is probably more strenous than racing at Sears Point in March in 60-70 degree weather.)
Finally, I also know I can buy a used suit from RaceImage. Unless I find one that would fit me well AND has a logo scheme that I find really, really funny (combination of which is NOT likely), I'm not sure I want to spend the same money ~$400 just to get a used suit. Perhaps its personal taste I also don't understand why people festoon their racecars with logos and feel the same way about my body. Unless someone is actually giving me real money (again, not likely), all of the random car product related stickers I've ever gotten (perhaps from Summit orders) just end on my garage garbage can vs my crapcan (car).
Thanks in advance for any general OR specific product suggestions you can make.
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4