1 (edited by DaveC 2018-08-11 07:08 AM)

Topic: Suggestions on tires for Rover SD1 with17 x 7.5” rims.

I know that Picking tires out would normally be towards a later stage of a project, but I need to make a descision and get a hold of some tires so I can start checking my clearances.
I’ve currently got a 245/45 R17 on a pair of wheels, and they seem even a ittle too wide for these rims to be honest.

Ive done some searching and the falken azenis rt-615k 225/45r17 would perhaps seem like a good option from availability, cost, performance and size basis, but what would be the effect of putting these on a 7.5” rim? Optimal, marginal, or foolish?

I should add, I really want to stick with the jeep 7.5” rims because they’re so cheap and easily available almost everywhere, simply because all the jeep boys seem to want to put bigger blinger wheels on their rigs. And no one ever wants to buy the wheels, because they too want fancy pants wheels!

Cheers,

Re: Suggestions on tires for Rover SD1 with17 x 7.5” rims.

224 45 is a really popular size and is really ideal for a 7.5. I'll spend far too many hrs just looking at size and cost of different  tires. How heavy is the car? on a 7.5" rim you are going  to lose a lot of the advantages of running a 245.

I'm a big fan of big cheap tires though. I run 255s on 9" wheels. I have 2 full events on one set of Ripken Raptors. And we had top 10 lap times at our last event.

Owner/Captain of The 27 Club E46. Phoenix, AZ
and now the #95 Thunderbird

Is there a benefit in putting on a really cheap set of road tires first while I play with the alignment and learn how to drive the vehicle, rather than going straight for the soft tires? Or should I aim to practice and set it up with the softer tires from the outset?

Run the race tires on the street. Cheap “heat cycling”

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport