1 (edited by Toast 2018-08-14 06:39 AM)

Topic: Thompson 2018 Chugagugagugugathingmybob pics

Here are my pics from Thompson this year. Bit of a random selection because it may as well have been nighttime as far trying to focus through a chain link fence in rapidly changing light conditions on objects flying past at 100mph. Out of 2300 photos taken about 380 came good(ish). The link to the full album is below.

One of the things I try to do is capture the expressions on the drivers faces as they go past. There are precious few of those unfortunately. However photographing you lot in the rain was totally worth the price of admission big_smile

If anyone would like a full res version of a pic feel free to message me. Also if you use one of these images anywhere else I'd appreciate a credit: Ben Booy.

Cheers!

Here:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/101172025@N07/D9VM3U

...or here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set … 6f54c04c19

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1792/43978012332_73ce665415_k.jpg24 Hours of Lemons, Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park 2018 by Ben Booy, on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1819/43977864022_543d96722c_k.jpg24 Hours of Lemons, Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park 2018 by Ben Booy, on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1791/44026623961_db6d79f63b_k.jpg24 Hours of Lemons, Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park 2018 by Ben Booy, on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1836/43307815814_e7c47a1c52_k.jpg1307 by Ben Booy, on Flickr

Re: Thompson 2018 Chugagugagugugathingmybob pics

nice pics!

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I wish my pictures came out half as good. I had like 9 I didn't hate from the weekend. Thanks for sharing these.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Toast, I went thru your album and those are some great photos! I wish I could do what you do.

Do you have any suggestions you could give us hacks? I'm guessing your using a SLR type camera? Are you using multiple lens? or just one with zoom? I would love to document our adventures like you have, but I to some degree wouldn't know how to start. I use to take good photos with my old K1000 but the transition to my iPhone has ruined anything resembling good photography.

Phantastic Fotos!

Hope you make it out to Loudon too!
If you do, stop by our paddock/garage with #28 Prelude, Student Driver car, for food and drinks so we can do something for you too!

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

6 (edited by Toast 2018-08-17 07:22 PM)

Hey folks! Thanks for the replies, it's nice to know that y'all enjoy the pics..

I'll definitely drop by your pits MZAVARIN, thank you! I got to meet a few teams this year at Thompson but I never feel terribly comfortable dropping in to say hi 'cause it's not really meant to be a spectator sport. Plus I'm English so of course it's in my DNA to 'not be a bother'......

I'm not sure I have a lot of photography advice, I'm as much of a hack as the next guy! This is what I do though:

I have a pretty good camera body. It's a Sony A99 and about six years old. It's not very good in low light and not quick to focus but it has a few tricks a regular SLR doesn't have which are immensely helpful when using manual focus. Because the viewfinder is digital it can highlight any in-focus areas for you to help in knowing when something's in or not. It needs a lot of light to work though and there wasn't enough light at Thompson this year for it to work well. In this case I relied about 50/50 on auto focus or manually focusing on a part of the track the cars would be passing through and then tracking the cars as they came by. Then just checking the images and adjusting as I went.

The hardest trick is to track the cars smoothly as they pass. That just takes practise and a lot of patience.

I'm using a cheapy 75-300 f-5.6 kit lens which just happens to be extremely sharp. The problem is that I tend to be shooting on the long end, regularly at 300mm zoom. The general rule is that you should have a shutter speed equivalent to the zoom factor to get a sharp photo (300mm = 1/300s, 75mm = 1/75s). If you want blurred wheels and the illusion of movement that's not practical, you can't have a shutter speed faster than 1/160 and even that is really too fast.

As a result when you're tracking a car at 300mm zoom and a shutter speed of 1/100 you have to be extremely smooth but also just plain lucky. Higher f-stop values help as it deepens the depth of field but also reduces the available light meaning slower shutter speeds.

To give you an idea on a sunny day about 50-75% of my photos will be somewhat usable. This year I shot 2300 pics and could only publish 389. There were others that were ok, just not perfectly in focus and I was being picky.

Long and short is practise. Good equipment helps hugely, any mid/high level DSLR should be able to produce the results I get, high quality lenses aren't necessary as long as the one you have is sharp (mine cost me $150) but they can make your life a lot easier. Buy the best gear you can but focus on lenses.

Then just take 2300 pics and hope for the best!

I'll definitely drop by your pits MZAVARIN, thank you! I got to meet a few teams this year at Thompson but I never feel terribly comfortable dropping in to say hi 'cause it's not really meant to be a spectator sport. Plus I'm English so of course it's in my DNA to 'not be a bother'......

------------

so drop by and say Hi in Loudon
and you will get over it
Everyone has spent a lot of time and money on their cars, and are really proud of what they have accomplished...
And I bet everyone would be happy to have their picture taken with their creation...
And since it is mostly true that this is not really a spectator sport, we will put you to work drinking beer or other refreshments and eating food....maybe we'll even have you help out with repairs....

During the race, teams can be a bit stressed, depending on how their car is doing...but even if it is broke, you can certainly jump in to take photos of the (repair) carnage...I don't think anyone would mind...as long as you don't get in the way...because it can get hectic
But certainly Friday and Saturday night, anything goes!...(in general)...or in the mornings...

See ya in October!

Mike Z

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022