Topic: Newcomers from Ohio here!

Hey guys, figured I would throw a first post up to start getting acclimated around here. We are from around the Cleveland Ohio area and finally got a team together. I've been wanting to race Lemons for a few years now and am finally biting the bullet. I just picked up a 97 Acura Integra 4 door for the low low price of $200 (doesn't have a motor or trans) but the guy included a bunch of new front end parts and the whole interior is in place. I have a buyer for the complete interior for $300, so we will be a little ahead of the game. I guess my first question is I have a good friend who has a motor for the car that said he will give it to me for $100, but it smokes, is it frowned upon to fix the valve seals and piston rings just so that the motor isn't drinking oil? Thanks in advance guys, hope to see you all at Gingerman before long!

Re: Newcomers from Ohio here!

It is never frowned upon.  What is frowned upon is that motor all spiffied up with a big turbo hanging off of it.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Alright awesome, I didn't think it would be an issue. I wasn't sure if they didn't like seeing motors that have been opened up. I plan on doing a good amount of record keeping, we are just running a 1.8l non vtec motor and no crazy turbo or anything like that. We just want to get the car together and be able to finish the race with the car still together, that's a win in itself for us.

Oh, there are cars that smoke while racing.  Some smoke before they get ont he track, some smoke after running a few laps, all depends on the car and drivers.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Some cars smoke start to finish and finish well. Depending on the track, just add oil at pit stop.

They don't really like you opening the motor; I've been told that I shouldn't let out the factory air in the crank case. That said, they don't look too closely at if the motor has been opened.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

Oh yeah forgot about the factory air in the motor.  Plus, some here believe a motor only has so many revolutions in them.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Yea, I know shit happens at Lemons. If we end up smoking in the first hour so be it, but I would just like to give my team a decent chance at having fun on the track for a while. None of us have any wheel to wheel racing experience. A couple of us have done a track day or 2 but that's the extent of experience. And we are not worried about placing well, realistically just finishing would be a win for us. If finishing is in the books than not being last would be huge for us lol.

If you are not ready for the Gingerman fall race you should definitely come and check it out, watch tech and BS inspections and talk to teams there, it will really help with rule interpretations and get a good feel for what is and is not allowed etc.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

And the two of the most important things:

1.  Read the how not to fail tech inspection, again, again, again, and again.  Make copies, give it to your teammates, your cage builder, and whomever else you think might need a copy.

2.  Have fun

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

10 (edited by Guildenstern 2018-07-26 02:24 PM)

Team No Chance Acura wrote:

Hey guys, figured I would throw a first post up to start getting acclimated around here. We are from around the Cleveland Ohio area and finally got a team together. I've been wanting to race Lemons for a few years now and am finally biting the bullet. I just picked up a 97 Acura Integra 4 door for the low low price of $200 (doesn't have a motor or trans) but the guy included a bunch of new front end parts and the whole interior is in place. I have a buyer for the complete interior for $300, so we will be a little ahead of the game. I guess my first question is I have a good friend who has a motor for the car that said he will give it to me for $100, but it smokes, is it frowned upon to fix the valve seals and piston rings just so that the motor isn't drinking oil? Thanks in advance guys, hope to see you all at Gingerman before long!

WELCOME!!

I'm in Garfield, and our car is parked down in Akron. Let me know If you need any help or a recommendation for a cage builder.

Think you'l make it out this fall?

Also $200+100-300 means you have plenty of headspace to spiff up that motor. Just think Endurance not Performance. You can re build the motor while you wait for the cage.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Thanks Guildenstern, I will defintatly be in contact I'm sure. We are not shooting for the race this fall, but hopefully next year's fall race if not the one in summer. I was looking into getting one of the pre bent units from one of the distributors that a lot of teams on here use. We have a couple local friends who weld that should be able to handle welding the cage but it will be good to see how you guys did it all. And yea we have some headroom for sure, I'm not looking to go crazy with anything, we are going to upgrade the cooling system to try and prevent the typical Honda head gasket failure as our bigger upgrade. I am a mechanic so through my shop I can get cheap parts, another team member works for weisco so we might be able to make some stuff happen with his 70% discount lol.

Team No Chance Acura wrote:

Thanks Guildenstern, I will defintatly be in contact I'm sure. We are not shooting for the race this fall, but hopefully next year's fall race if not the one in summer. I was looking into getting one of the pre bent units from one of the distributors that a lot of teams on here use. We have a couple local friends who weld that should be able to handle welding the cage but it will be good to see how you guys did it all. And yea we have some headroom for sure, I'm not looking to go crazy with anything, we are going to upgrade the cooling system to try and prevent the typical Honda head gasket failure as our bigger upgrade. I am a mechanic so through my shop I can get cheap parts, another team member works for weisco so we might be able to make some stuff happen with his 70% discount lol.

Four things:

Cooling system upgrades for a Honda apparently also mean an oil cooler...not negotiable as I have heard.  #1 head gasket blow prevention is apparently a rev limiter set lower than you think.

If you are going to have it apart, head studs now instead of later.

DO NOT SPEND MONEY ON MORE POWER...spend it on safety, reliability, brakes and suspension in that order.

Since none of you have wheel to wheel experience...you won't win anything so don't sweat the budget too much.  You will loose the race in the pits anyway.

That said, come to Gingerman fall.  We can give you place to crash and feed you.  If you have a trailer and a partially completed car, bring it too and a bunch of the Usual Suspects can give you pointers.  You can also watch a few well oiled teams (physically and proceedurealy) do good pit stops, field repairs, and the before mentioned Tech and BS viewing...super useful.

Remember that guy that said to read "How not to Fail tech"...keep a copy in the bathroom, make your cage builder read it, recite it at dinner, it has pictures so use it as a bedtime story for your or just random children. 

Also, get all your buddies prepared for the real cost of this...lots of threads on it but car prep is $1500 (unrealistic for your first car) to $4500 for most folks.  $500+ each for  safety gear unless you rent.  We average $700/driver for fees and consumables per race if it is local'ish.  To defray some of those costs, start cruising CL and Ebay now for deals on the seat and harnesses.  I got both as either scratch and dent or demo units for about 30-40% off.

Most important, remember to have fun with it.  Each time we TRY to win we forget how fun it is to just be out there racing...and we curse ourselves to a terrible weekend of failure.

Thanks Onkeludo, we will end up trying to make out to gingerman this fall to check it out and see what we are in for. Adding power is really the last thing on the list, there is a lot more items that need done before we could even consider trying that. Our biggest thing is going in and doing new valve seals, and piston rings in the motor we are getting, while we are in there obviously we will end up running a new head gasket, timing belt, water pump and probably just throw and oil pump in to be on the safe side. I'll have to look into external oil coolers, my B18c1 out of my gsr has a factory oil cooler on it but I don't think that would keep up with the heat generated from constant track conditions. Our first order of business is to get the interior stripped out and start planning the cage. We were going to shop around the forums here and CL for good safety equipment and a seat. Might be able to find something at summit in the scratch and dent section since we are only about a half hour from them.

14 (edited by SpaceFrank 2018-07-27 02:33 PM)

I don't think Lemons judges are going to sweat a stock rebuild on a stock engine unless you really cheat it up. I'm not a Honda guy, but I've heard enough about overheating and head gasket troubles to say you should definitely follow the advice earlier in this thread: keep it cool, and keep the revs down lower than you think you should.

The judges will be far more concerned if any of these extra front suspension parts are of the cheaty aftermarket variety. Just in case, I'd get written documentation of the sale price of the car and engine, plus the sale of the interior. Even if it's a fake bill of sale with fake signatures, the judges will appreciate you taking the time to do that much; it shows that you "get" Lemons. You're starting off with a car the judges will probably find boring, so having a decent theme will help. Check this thread for ideas.

One other thing: cage kits will save you a lot of time measuring and bending tubes, but they almost always require a little cutting/notching work before you can weld them in. I've used a Roll Cage Components kit before, and those require you to notch the halo and trim all six downward bars where they meet the car. Luckily, your car is probably common enough that Jim will have all the measurements already, so you won't have to measure the car for him. I recommend NASCAR bars; X-bars don't provide nearly as much room as you'd think since the front part of the X gets in the way of your legs..

Thanks SpaceFrank, yea we are keeping the motor all stock, basically fresh gaskets and rings is all we really plan on doing. All the new front suspension components he included with the car are just cheap stock replacements, no poly bushings or anything of those things. It will be nice to have the new ball joints and tie rods on the car for piece of mind, the only thing aftermarket on the car is a cheap set of raceland coilovers, which in all honesty are probably worse than stock struts.

I do have another question though, I don't recall seeing it in the rules. Does the race seat have to be within inspection dates, or does it just need to be a fix back and supported seat that has the harness holes? I have a friend who has a Corbeau race seat that could work but it's a little older and I'm sure out of the inspection time frame or how ever they date seats. He told me if I could use it i could have it for like $50 or so.

16 (edited by OnkelUdo 2018-07-28 04:23 AM)

No inspection dates for the seat but REALLLLLLLY pay attention to letter of the law on seat vs support seat back support in the not how to fail tech.  In addition, if you can wiggle the seat on those sliders you mounted ( Volvo 240 sliders are awesome) be prepared to quicky turn your slider into a fixed position.  If they can wiggle it, they assume bad even if its the sloppy electric seat mechanism from the 1990's GM parts bin.

Just remember, if you open the motor, there's no good excuse not to lap the valves. And if you take the valves out, there's really no good excuse not to do some polishing and gasket matching.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

Aside from time vs return that is.
Odds are good that engine will go kablooey before they get good enough to matter.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Yea we would be lapping valves, cleaning out intake and exhaust ports and such all while the motor was apart. I myself have been a Honda guy for a long while, as are a couple of guys on the team. We have plenty of spares laying around for the car, but like I said before for us a win is just finishing with the car in one piece. Barring any major engine failures or any of the drivers crumpling the car we should be pretty set to deal with the standard mechanical issues that will probably arise. We are getting the cash together now to get the cage ordered and this week we will be stripping the interior out so that can go in once we get the seat.

OnkelUdo wrote:

No inspection dates for the seat but REALLLLLLLY pay attention to letter of the law on seat vs support seat back support in the not how to fail tech.  In addition, if you can wiggle the seat on those sliders you mounted ( Volvo 240 sliders are awesome) be prepared to quicky turn your slider into a fixed position.  If they can wiggle it, they assume bad even if its the sloppy electric seat mechanism from the 1990's GM parts bin.

Also, if any of your team members happen to have freakishly long torso dimensions, make sure the seat back is tall enough to reach the center of the back of their helmet. For example, I'm 6'4" with relatively short legs (33" inseam), and a Corbeau FX1 is 3-4" too short for me.

21 (edited by ballstene 2018-07-31 12:27 PM)

Lot's of good advice here for Honda's. I think you're on the right track with everything you're doing, but I have a few more recommendations that I've learned the hard way after 5 races on our Honda.

Since you're already going in the engine (good plan) check the bores and the bearings. You can pick up a ball hone for <$40 and give them some new cross hatching if they need it. Just do your homework to make sure to get the right diameter and grit. A fresh hone will work well with your new rings.

If the bearings look a little rough just replace them all, they're not expensive.

Have the block and head checked for flatness, again pretty cheap and worth it.

Lapping the valves really is worth it.

Like somebody said above, buy the headstuds now. Yes they're $150, but they are a must for your car to reliable. And don't buy the cheapest headgasket Rock Auto has, buy a good name brand one you trust. Ask me how I know...

Get a largest stock radiator you can if your car came with different engine options. We have a VTEC radiator in our car even though our engine is non-VTEC. The VTEC one is thicker so it adds some cooling capacity.

Also do yourself a favor and clean the engine and trans before putting it back in. The judges aren't going to care if your stock engine has all the oil and crime cleaned off of it. It makes working on the thing 1000x nicer.

Make sure your teammates truly understand how much this costs. The hardest part about Lemons is finding good teammates. Your best friend may not be the best teammate People see $500 race car and think it's going to end up costing a few hundred bucks to go racing. Building a car from scratch will cost you anywhere from a couple to several thousand dollars. Then there is the safety gear, driver conform (gauges, cool-suit, radios, etc.), good brake pads, tires, towing the car to the event, entry fees (~$300 each driver) and so on. Once your at the event there is lodging, food, and several hundred dollars in fuel if you run the whole weekend. And once the weekend is over you have lots of maintenance to do on it. We spend a few hundred bucks bringing the car back up to tip top shape between races.

That being said, it's worth every penny! Good luck and hope to see you at Gman!

One last thing, do the theme last if you have time. It's not a big deal if you show up to your first race without a theme because you spent your time and money prepping the car!

CLUB 991 - Honda Prelude
Gingerman Oct. 2018 - We Got Screwed
CMP April 2019 - Most Heroic Fix
Gingerman Oct. 2019 - Class B Winner

Thanks Ballstene, we are for sure going to be going through the motor and doing a full freshen up. One of the guys on our team works for Weisco and can get Cometic gaskets, so im sure we will end up with a headgasket from them. Headstuds are definatly a good idea, and we were going to look for a larger radiator along with running a 160* temp theromostat. Also per a suggestion here we are looking into a way to run an oil cooler.

It's not cheap racing...It's cheaper racing
As Mr Guildenstern pointed out the car is in Akron....In my driveway. So if you want to take a peek at a real live lemonsmobile come on down....We'll let you even sit in it

MBTL Racing

OnkelUdo wrote:

To defray some of those costs, start cruising CL and Ebay now for deals on the seat and harnesses.  I got both as either scratch and dent or demo units for about 30-40% off.

Since NJ may be in your orbit, pay attention to the manufacture date of the harness.  It's different in NJ...like everything has to be.  I think it's 2 years instead of 5 years unless it's an FIA belt.  It was talked about in here recently.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

jbl wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

To defray some of those costs, start cruising CL and Ebay now for deals on the seat and harnesses.  I got both as either scratch and dent or demo units for about 30-40% off.

Since NJ may be in your orbit, pay attention to the manufacture date of the harness.  It's different in NJ...like everything has to be.  I think it's 2 years instead of 5 years unless it's an FIA belt.  It was talked about in here recently.

Not no more.

All SFI belts are officially only good for 2 years. It's on the new tags and everything.