101 (edited by OMGuar 2010-11-18 10:41 PM)

Re: We're meeting this weekend to discuss next years racing budget..

Lemonious Monk wrote:
OMGuar wrote:

I've raced Vintage since 1975 transponders weren't used then.. In fact they weren't used in vintage when I stopped racing and started building my house back in 2001.. That's held the majority of my attention since except when one of my buddies invited me to race his car.  So transponders are totally new to me..

That's strange, I bought my vintage Formula Vee in Feb '98 and at that time, the sanctioning body I raced with had been using them for a few years before that.  Transponders were mandatory when I got the car track ready in August of '98.  What vintage organization did you race with prior to 2001?

VSCRI,, MWCSCC, & Steve Earl's GR (1999) Still proudly display the group six winner trophy of Crystal glass on a Black walnut base..  MY last event with both the MGTD and My Jag was the fall festival at Elkart lake  2000 VSCDA
I don't remember the group that ran the Bahama's speed week (1984, 1986, 1988),(I'm proud of the conchshell trophy I won for coming in second to Stirling Moss. in 1986
Early 90's with the MGDC at Watkins Glen
  Sometime in the 1980's I ran Road Atlanta with one of the southern groups.. (Maybe SVRA?) Mid Ohio in the early  80's VSCCA,
Hmmmm  some years I ran 11-12 events with 3-4 differant clubs..I really should dig up my licenses and list all the eventsI got my National license from SCCA about 1978 Regional 1971?  VSCRI was affilated with SCCA so I could usually get a sign off at the pro races we ran.  From roughly 1975 through sometime in the 80's VSCRI was the "filler" event during the Can-Am  Trans-Am  events PLus what was that group that Tullius raced the Jag GTP in?
By getting the license signed off at pro events I was able to keep renewing it for a very long time.. Long past the time I sold my Corvette and stopped racing SCCA events..   Made running with other groups a lot easier..

FWIW, it's this kind of stuff that makes it hard for people to believe your entreaties that you're not a hard-core racer out for the win. I'm not judging, just observing.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

FWIW, it's this kind of stuff that makes it hard for people to believe your entreaties that you're not a hard-core racer out for the win. I'm not judging, just observing.

Then I guess you fail to understand Vintage racing..
The cars have established Histories we are merely caretakers for the future.
  As a youth I read about Stirling Moss's exploits.  Racing Jaguars and Aston Martins
In the Bahamas  In my Jag I raced Stirling Moss Driving the factory Aston Martin DBR3.
It was a childhood dream fullfilled  Little me, racing a knighted professional driver who was my childhood hero.
  Yes the trophy means a lot  to me..
  The class 6 winner has nothing to do with finishing position but rather the approach those I raced with felt I displayed. (sportsmanship is that groups highest priority)
  I was surrounded by the finest field I'd ever been in.. 2 Ferrarri Testa Rossa's , the factory 1957 Corvette SS, Porseche RSK, the 1956 LeMans winning D type etc..
   So yes that trophy means a great deal as well.

104 (edited by bulletpruf 2018-08-26 07:55 AM)

Bumping an ancient thread because I have an unreasonable (read:  foolish) desire to race a V-12 powered XJS in Lemons.  If anyone has a Lemons XJS for sale or knows where I can find one, let me know.

Or if you're interested in forming a team to race one, i'm interested in that as well.

I'm currently in Italy, but moving to San Antonio in a few weeks.

Scott

From someone who has raced a Jag V12 in Lemons, I cannot stress enough the absolute requirement of using the 6.0 instead of the 5.3.  This means a 92 or later XJS.  No 5.3 has made it an entire weekend without needing head gaskets and the 6.0 never had an issue even when it got hot several times.  They changed the head design in the 6.0.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

From someone who has raced a Jag V12 in Lemons, I cannot stress enough the absolute requirement of using the 6.0 instead of the 5.3.  This means a 92 or later XJS.  No 5.3 has made it an entire weekend without needing head gaskets and the 6.0 never had an issue even when it got hot several times.  They changed the head design in the 6.0.

Thanks for the tip.  I know the early pre-HE cars ('83 and earlier?) were supposed to be good as well, but they seem to be very difficult to find.

You do not want a 5.3 whether its HSE or not.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

Care to elaborate?  I figured a pre-HE 5.3 would be a good call.  Having said that, they're difficult to find, so I'm ok looking for an affordable (read:  roached) 6.0.

Thanks

bulletpruf wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

Care to elaborate?  I figured a pre-HE 5.3 would be a good call.  Having said that, they're difficult to find, so I'm ok looking for an affordable (read:  roached) 6.0.

Thanks

I wish I could pinpoint exactly where the differences lie whether it be stronger cylinders to prevent cylinder fretting, lower compression or what but as I said before I do not believe that any 5.3 either pre or post HSE has completed a Lemons weekend without needing head gaskets.  Maybe Pendejo got theirs through one weekend but I also know they were looking to replace their 5.3 with a 6.0 but never did it.  The 6.0 has done several weekends successfully.  And because changing head gaskets on these is not a trivial task, I suspect that's why you don't see many of those cars return or return as SBC cars.  But go ahead, prove me wrong.  Just bring head gasket sets and a flat chunk of granite to resurface your warped heads.

For whatever reason, endurance racing with stock engine components sort of turns usual convention on its head.  Reliable street engines that last forever - Honda 4cyl, Toyota 22R, Slant 6.  Reliable Lemons engines, Volvo 4cyl, Alfa Romeo.  You'll notice there is no crossover on those lists.  So just because something is good on the street doesn't automatically mean it's good in endurance racing.  And yes, most any engine that has flaws that show up on the track have fixes available to correct those problems.  But at what cost?

Gone bye-bye

(raises hand)

One of my first Lemons weekends I spent much of it holding up a timing belt while pendejo was changing one head gasket.

I failed at my job, of course, which caused the tensioner to come out of position and they opted to yank the other head as well. Good thing since that one was blown, too.

They also brought their own fuel in those 5gallon VP cans because they had to run 110 or something like that.

They could have built Trump's Wall with all of those cans.

The one is already an "amazing race car." Ready to roar. Meow...

https://slo.craigslist.org/cto/d/v12-ja … 98110.html

https://images.craigslist.org/00a0a_bEhl2X2B6Q0_600x450.jpg

This amazing race car is so close to roaring down the road again. I drove this car to and from work since last October. Last month the fuel pump burned out and havent had time to fix it. This is a project car but it's pretty much complete. You will have to tow this car away it is NON RUNNING AS IS.

Comes with a complete extra set of 100 spoke rims

It has a Vintage E Nardi steering wheel worth $1500 on it's own

If you replace the fuel pump IT WILL RUN AGAIN!! I just dont have the time to fix it.

Anytime I drove it everyone would compliment this car. This v12 is so fast and so smooth it will knock your socks off.
British sports cars has agreed to look at it at the end of the month but I am moving to Texas NEXT WEEK, so I am HIGHLY MOTIVATED TO SELL

Make me an offer

112 (edited by bulletpruf 2018-08-28 12:01 PM)

cheseroo wrote:
bulletpruf wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

Thanks

I wish I could pinpoint exactly where the differences lie whether it be stronger cylinders to prevent cylinder fretting, lower compression or what but as I said before I do not believe that any 5.3 either pre or post HSE has completed a Lemons weekend without needing head gaskets.  Maybe Pendejo got theirs through one weekend but I also know they were looking to replace their 5.3 with a 6.0 but never did it.  The 6.0 has done several weekends successfully.  And because changing head gaskets on these is not a trivial task, I suspect that's why you don't see many of those cars return or return as SBC cars.  But go ahead, prove me wrong.  Just bring head gasket sets and a flat chunk of granite to resurface your warped heads.

For whatever reason, endurance racing with stock engine components sort of turns usual convention on its head.  Reliable street engines that last forever - Honda 4cyl, Toyota 22R, Slant 6.  Reliable Lemons engines, Volvo 4cyl, Alfa Romeo.  You'll notice there is no crossover on those lists.  So just because something is good on the street doesn't automatically mean it's good in endurance racing.  And yes, most any engine that has flaws that show up on the track have fixes available to correct those problems.  But at what cost?

Thanks for the input.  Still have a bit to learn about these engines before I pull a trigger on anything.  And I certainly don't want to invest the time, $, and effort into getting one race ready knowing that head gasket fail is pending.

On an unrelated note, what Alfa engine has proven to be reliable in Lemons?  I'm more of a 7 liter + musclecar kind of guy, but I also have a 72 GTV 2000 that's nearing completion.

EDIT:  Almost forgot - does anyone have Pendejo's contact info?  I tried to e mail him through the forum but no response. 

Scott

billy bee wrote:

The one is already an "amazing race car." Ready to roar. Meow...

https://slo.craigslist.org/cto/d/v12-ja … 98110.html

https://images.craigslist.org/00a0a_bEhl2X2B6Q0_600x450.jpg

This amazing race car is so close to roaring down the road again. I drove this car to and from work since last October. Last month the fuel pump burned out and havent had time to fix it. This is a project car but it's pretty much complete. You will have to tow this car away it is NON RUNNING AS IS.

Comes with a complete extra set of 100 spoke rims

It has a Vintage E Nardi steering wheel worth $1500 on it's own

If you replace the fuel pump IT WILL RUN AGAIN!! I just dont have the time to fix it.

Anytime I drove it everyone would compliment this car. This v12 is so fast and so smooth it will knock your socks off.
British sports cars has agreed to look at it at the end of the month but I am moving to Texas NEXT WEEK, so I am HIGHLY MOTIVATED TO SELL

Make me an offer

I'm surprised at how plentiful and affordable slightly roached V-12 XJS's are.  Too bad about the head gasket issue.

Seth and John from Pendejo haven't been active over here in years.  I think I last saw John at Laguna Seca 5 years ago.  Pendejo ran several cars, the "2-ton Miata"  (XJS, which held the Thunderhill Lemons track record until recently)), a S600 (only car "claimed" by Lemons HQ but only after it was forced upon them), a Quattraporte and an Alfa 164 was the last car I remember them running.  I no longer have contact info for them.

Gone bye-bye

Website hasn't been updated in quite some time...
http://www.magnusracingclub.com/index.html