Re: Dahlinboysracing: car and brake info

dahlinboysracing wrote:

Car is a 1996 Acura Integra GSR. We built it over the 2013/14 winter and have raced it 18 times in both Lemons and Chump. During the build we removed the ABS per instructions found on Honda/Acura forums and replaced the proportioning valve as recommended.

I'm sure I'm showing my ignorance here, but as a fellow Integra owner (ours is a DA not DC) I'd like to know why you'd ever remove the ABS?  We surely wish ours had it!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Guildenstern wrote:

Wait....Everyone isn't flushing their brake system before every race? o_O

Good Race fluid does not necessarily need it. It's meant to stand up to a lot of abuse, and often changing it every race is overkill. That doesn't mean you shouldn't check it, but if it checks out fine, there's no need. I have a moister tester showing up today to add to my toolbox thanks to this event. From now on we'll check the fluid before the race instead of blindly doing it every couple events. If the moisture content is below 2% and the fluid bleeds a good color from all calipers, it's still ok. But if it looks abused and tests bad, change it.

Of course there's no harm in changing it every event, it just may be overkill. Use your own judgement to decide what  you want to do.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

Good Race fluid does not necessarily need it.

I guess we'll never know, because we've changed our every race for the past 10 years.  ATE 200 is only $20, divided by 4 drivers is $5 each.  When we decided we can't afford that, we'll quit racing.

Of course we've also changed the oil and filter too for every race for the past 10 year too, so we're OK with overkill.

Captain

Right, i wasn't saying that it's silly to do every race, just that it might not be necessary. And some people might be ok with running it more than one event as long as it keeps checking out ok.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

One more post, about boiling fluid and why it's so scary. Boiling fluid doesn't come on like fading pads. Brake fade you can feel happen somewhat progressively. Fluid boiling is more like an on off switch. As the fluid heats up it will keep working more or less the same. And it won't boil mid braking point usually because of what happens when you pressurize a fluid. Boiling point increases as you pressurize a fluid. Same reason that water boils at a lower temp in the mountains because atmospheric pressure is lower. So under braking you pressurize the fluid, raise it's boil point, and if you have something weird going on with the brakes you can then push the fluid past the un-pressurized boiling temp while braking. Then when you release the pedal the pressure is reduced and the fluid, now over it's boiling temp, well boils and introduces bubbles. So next time you step on the pedal it's suddenly very soft, or basically nonexistent.

I can't say with 100% certainty that this is what happened to your car, because well I've never closely looked at the system or driven it. But the signs do point that way.

I meant to say thank you very much for this explanation.  It's very helpful, and explains how you can feel pad fade coming on and adjust accordingly, but in the case of boiled fluid, there will be no warning.

I can say I've faded pads many times, but have never experienced boiled fluid. I will continue to be diligent in the future to hopefully never experience that nightmare scenario.

Captain

VKZ24 wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

I guess we'll never know, because we've changed our every race for the past 10 years.  ATE 200 is only $20, divided by 4 drivers is $5 each.  When we decided we can't afford that, we'll quit racing.

Of course we've also changed the oil and filter too for every race for the past 10 year too, so we're OK with overkill.

We swap all fluids every race. Oil, trans, diff, brakes, and of course coolant, and give the Power steering a sniff test. One Endurance race weekend is equivalent to a whole season of Club 15-20 lap races.

And on return the race oil gets dumped for cheap store brand, filter cut, and antifreeze put back in. It costs like A tire for that each event.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Hell, my Saturn could use that oil....never thought of recycling the race oil.  I mean it burns a quart every 750 or so.  Because Saturn.

Keep in mind race oil doesn't have the longevity detergents and such in it.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Guildenstern wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

We swap all fluids every race. Oil, trans, diff, brakes, and of course coolant, and give the Power steering a sniff test. One Endurance race weekend is equivalent to a whole season of Club 15-20 lap races.

And on return the race oil gets dumped for cheap store brand, filter cut, and antifreeze put back in. It costs like A tire for that each event.

And I was thinking you actually enjoyed gear oil running into your armpit...So there is a reason

MBTL Racing

The Hair is where it becomes a huge Pain.

Guildenstern wrote:

The Hair is where it becomes a huge Pain.

Yeah that wasn't a good look for you

MBTL Racing

Last year I ran a track night with my 1989 Corvette.  Had EBC Yellow pads and EBC rotors, no brake ducts, and used Pentosin Super DOT 4 fluid.  I boiled my fluid on the first lap turn 1 resulting in a very spungy pedal.  As soon as I pulled into the hot pits the brakes were gone.  At latest Thompson race I upgraded to R4-E pads, brake ducts, and ATE Type 200.  I had no brake issues.  I have to rule fluid and cooling as the drivers for brake failure.

The Defeat Device Mid-Engine 1979 Chevette
Fastest / craziest Chevette driver in America!

Guildenstern wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

You change trans/diff oil every race?  In 25+ races, weve done it maybe once or twice.  Did it last weekend because we changed axle seals.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Yea, and there's always a bit of glitter in it. Especially the poor T-5 with 3 granny shifting white knuckle on the shifter drivers.

And the diff was such a colossal PITA I don't want to have to replace plates in the damn thing ever again.

So for $60 a race it's cheap insurance for two things I had to already rebuild once each. (granted both were ready for rebuilds at purchase, but still, I don't wanna!)

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

You change trans/diff oil every race?  In 25+ races, weve done it maybe once or twice.  Did it last weekend because we changed axle seals.

We change our trans fluid every other race.

Captain

VKZ24 wrote:

For a while, we changed our trans every other race...does that count?

OnkelUdo wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

For a while, we changed our trans every other race...does that count?

Only if you put new fluid in it every time you swap it out :-)

MBTL Racing