Topic: Unloading an out of state car in California

I'll be doing the RT-66 rally in my terminally rust infected NA Miata this fall. Which leaves me in LA with an Ohio titled car that's basically only good for parts and a Plane ticket back to Cleveland.

What is needed to unload a car in LA? I know in Ohio there's a lot of BS with notaries and shit, but what will I actually need to provide to whoever ends up with this Miata so that 6 months from now I don't get a letter telling me to pick up my abandoned car from a city impound in Southern California?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Re: Unloading an out of state car in California

Suggestion...do a CL ad ahead of time as for parts only with current out of state title.  Is it is a 5-speed NA you can often get well above scrap value just for the swap parts in rust free areas as auto NA miatas sell for like $1000 les and tend to garage queens...no one buys a used Miata auto unless they plan to swap it.

Disclaimer, this may only be a deep south thing but I see pristine 80K Miata's with autos around my friends place in Birmingham, AL all the time.  He checked a few out for me and they were all loving cared for by retired couples.  They averaged $1800-2000.  150K manuals that were on their third owner and a bit beat on were $3000.

3 (edited by aventari 2018-09-05 03:57 PM)

All you need here in CA is to give the buyer a signed title. No notaries or any stuff like that required. A bill of sale with "AS-IS" noted is always a good idea too.

Though in CA if you sell a car the onus is on you to smog it before selling it, but in practice that usually doesn't happen with beaters. The buyer usually handles it and knocks a bit off the price for the smog.

For this case, since you're out of state, don't worry about it. If the buyer wants to try and smog and register it that it's on him.

And I second posting a CL ad ahead of time, that's a really good idea.

Takata R&D :: 1993 Accord - team captain - rear drum brakes lol
GoPro 360 Heros :: BMW E28  - co-captain

Are you looking to give it away or sell it?

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

5 (edited by Spank 2018-09-05 04:22 PM)

If you need a dumping ground, I can offer space in San Diego / Ramona.

Depending on running condition, I have a engineless NA shell that perhaps I could throw a few bills your way.

edit: I should add that in NO WAY do I need this, but if you find yourself stuck, I'll help however you need. Even if it is just a temporary holding facility until it's next owner can pick it up.

what year ?

We race a miata in Lemons,  would take it for spares, we share parts with other miata teams all the time so parts would go to a good cause..   If you need a few bucks and it's worth it for us in spares, could pay $. (note the $, the last 94 miata I got off another Lemons friend was $100 :-))

Just need to know rough Eta on when/where and we would grab it

ideally with papers,  incase we use the chassis / etc or want to dump the shell.

We have a yard, I would sign a release of liability so you would be free and clear.. 

LMK

cheers

I'd love to at least pay for my ticket home with it since this rally isn't gonna be cheap even with a tiny 4 cylinder. But will settle for not illegally abandoning a car should it end up Saturday afternoon 11/3 and I'm stuck with it.

It's a '96 Factory Friction LSD, and 1.8 BP with a brand new Robbins no zipper glass streamline top. So the $350 for the top would be sweet which was why I was reluctant to dump it Lemons since tops aren't what one could call race necessity.

Does anyone know if OHIO is weird about unloading a title like that, or once it goes to CA Ohio doesn't give a crap.

And anyone not in LA would have to get me back to LA to an LAX adjacent Hotel, which is a punishment worse than death as I understand it.
In LA I can just make an Uber drone deal with my week of road junk food farts.

And yes, you would want to dump the shell. The reason I'm not just buying a $1000 cobalt is because this thing's rust is nearing terminal in the back.

As for smog, reason #2 that I want to off it as scrap. It has.....some "creative" exhaust kludges again thanks to Cleveland Rust.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Just be sure you fill out,sign, and mail in your notice of sale or transfer.
Otherwise, you could be on the hook for tickets, towing, etc.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detai … rl/welcome

jiggermyster wrote:

Just be sure you fill out,sign, and mail in your notice of sale or transfer.
Otherwise, you could be on the hook for tickets, towing, etc.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detai … rl/welcome

The CA DMV may not have an out of state car on the records for an Release of Liability (RoL.)
I dunno, since I've never RoL'ed an out of stater.
I'd just grab the Ohio plates and keep them.
It's a lot harder to get violations sent to you if the plates are gone.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Guildenstern wrote:

Ohio titled car

I know every time I go to the BMV here they look at their big binder of requirements by state. If I were to bring a car + Ohio title - notary, they would tell me: no, come back when you have your crap together. A salvage yard or less informed person in CA may respond differently, but I wound't buy a car I can't easily re-title.

Unless it were a Miata of course.....

I HATE the damn notary requirement.

Notary not required in CA

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Does anyone actually expect a rust bucket miata to be registered/driven in rust free cali or is it to be picked to its bones, namely,  the top/engine/trans/diff to repair a proper shell.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Guildenstern wrote:

I'll be doing the RT-66 rally in my terminally rust infected NA Miata...

My first response was, "You're assuming your going to make it to CA." But with a Miata, you'll make it...

This isn't too complicated. I have done several transactions in CA with out-of-state vehicles. The NRL (Notice of Release of Liability) applies only to CA-titled cars. Usually, as the new owner of an out-of-state car, you have to have a VIN verification done at the AAA or DMV (or by the CHP). In other words, the NRL is really a non-factor. See here: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy … es/reg/nrl

You might want to go with a buyer to the DMV or AAA, get the VIN verification done, see that the buyer is putting the car in his/her name, and hitchhike home (because I doubt you'll get enough for plane fare). Cheap, used, rust-free Miatas are plentiful in CA.

Here's what I'd do--buy a rust-free roller here in CA and flat-tow it home behind your terminally rust-infected Miata.

http://acuteaero.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/IMG_10671.jpg

http://myroadtrip.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/paul-buyers-nc-mx-5-miata-rear-quarter-trailer-made-in-australia-672x372.png

bb

Annnd loose my job because I don't have the vacation time to drive back which is why it's being left there in the first place.

I figure Lyft or some crap to get me back to my hotel.

Where did things end up,  im still happy to take the car, and paperwork and do the right thing and give some $$$ providing when it gets here it's still a good parts car for our and other Lemons guys with Miata's :-)

Cheers

17 (edited by Guildenstern 2018-09-23 01:25 PM)

Nowhere. The parts places never returned my eMails.

So that's a $300 new top wasted.

Sorry - I don't quite understand

Are you still driving out, and want me to take the car ?

I can cover some $$$ and help with the paperwork as long as we work together on it.. 

Im not going to screw around here, I too want clean paperwork/etc.

I'm driving the RT-66 rally should be in LA November 2 to the 4th. 

You want to buy it it's all yours. I'll have the clean Ohio Title with me.

You can look at it and decide when you see it.

Direct message me and we can get things squared up for the when and how.

I'm driving the RT-66 rally should be in LA November 2 to the 4th. 

You want to buy it it's all yours. I'll have the clean Ohio Title with me.

You can look at it and decide when you see it.

Direct message me and we can get things squared up for the when and how.