Topic: What do you guys bring to the track? Noobs need some advice..

Since no one on my team has ever done this before,
What do y’all suggest we bring?

My current list
Teammates
Car
Fuel for car
Tools for car
Generator and air compressor to run tools
Food/drinks/snacks
Tent and cot for resting
Pop up canopy’s for shade
Whatever spare parts we have/buy prior to race
Fire extinguisher for pits/fueling

What else do you guys suggest? We more than likely will be
Pitted in the open paddock at MSR.

Team Safety 3rd Racing.
1985 Dodge Daytona Turbo-currently being lemonized.
https://www.facebook.com/TeamSafety3rdRacing/

Re: What do you guys bring to the track? Noobs need some advice..

Since it's your first race, be careful not to bring too much fuel. You won't need very much at all. Also, don't plan on sleeping much. You'll be up all night wrenching. Make sure you've got a good vehicle to go to a junkyard to fetch a spare drivetrain.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

3 (edited by moose72 2018-09-13 11:44 AM)

That is what we had for our first race a year ago and we have the same list this time.  More than likely we will be pitting in the open paddock area as well.  I plan on getting to the track Thursday with the car and wait for the gates to open.

Oh, almost forgot, bribes for the Judges!

See y'all there.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

BEER and BACON!!

No idea for fuel consumption...figured 2 55g drums should be enough.

Team Safety 3rd Racing.

MSR will not let you bring in drums.  We asked last year.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

moose72 wrote:

Oh, almost forgot, bribes for the Judges!

See y'all there.

Bribes....Bribes are good......Bribes are real good!

Team Captain at Rust Belt Racing,IOE Pontiac Aztek with The Pit Crew Revenge,Organizers Choice 1956 Nash Metro With Cheesy beards Racing,IOE 1977 Toyota Celica S/T RBR,.SERVICE BY MANNY, MOE, AND JACK PIT CREW REVENGED AEWOO LEGANZA,Judges Choice Chevy HHR RBR

8 (edited by TheEngineer 2018-09-13 01:29 PM)

Your daytona will use roughly 5 gallons per hour, assuming you are running the whole time. Use that info as you see fit.

Below is a random brain dump without much organization

Everything you mentioned is good, but because it's a daytona, you need spares. All the spares. Things I would have in a bin just in case.
Distributor. The whole thing, the sensors, rotor, cap, metal base, inside spinning trigger wheel. Have a complete drop in assembly.
Coil
Various sensors like water temp, MAP (and the assorted ones next to the MAP), etc
I'd say a whole spare engine if you can, depends how closely you watch water temp and oil pressure during the race
If you haven't found good quality race brake pads have spares of whatever you are running if they're autozone quality street pads. You can and will obliterate them.
Extra fluids and filters
Spare axles. They're cheap thankfully. have one of each side just in case.

Above list is in no special order other than the order I thought of things. I've broken just about everything you can break on a daytona other than the gearbox. Our A555 was exceptional.

Have more water than you think you need. If you don't have a way to drink in the car figure that out. Camelbak is a good way to go.

Make sure you have some good work gloves in case you need to wrench on something mid race in the engine bay, things get really hot.

Most important thing to bring is a good attitude. I want nothing more than your first race to go perfectly, but few first time teams ever get that. And turbo chrysler products just lower the odds. Myself, The C-Team here in new england, and Bad Science Racing (also texas I think) have all been through the Daytona learning curve. It's fun. If things go wrong just laugh and push through. If things go perfectly come back and brag.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Thanks!  We are really hoping our first race goes smoothly.
We want to have fun and finish. That’s the goal.

If we can’t bring 55g drums, what do you guys do for your fuel?

Team Safety 3rd Racing.

I have three quick fill 5gal jugs and 8 regular 5gal jugs, and we use 7-8gal/hr. I get to the track with the car (20gal) and jugs (55gal) full, and that 75gal typically lasts for Saturday's racing, then I send an A&D to go fill all the jugs Saturday evening for Sunday. YMMV.

#98 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight - Class A car in the hands of a Class D team - MSR Houston IOE!

ok. So I need to buy lots of 5gal jugs. Got it.

What bribes do the judges like? Still trying to figure that one out....

Team Safety 3rd Racing.

Safety3rdRacing wrote:

ok. So I need to buy lots of 5gal jugs. Got it.

What bribes do the judges like? Still trying to figure that one out....

I don't think the judge list for MSR has been publicized yet, so it's hard to make that call on bribe items. I'd assume Sajeev will be there, so go read some of his articles on TTAC.com to seek inspiration.

There's a gas station along 288 at the very next exit south of the track so you can go refill without paying track-side prices, just be sure at least one teammate brings a pickup truck for the fuel runs and straps/ropes for securing the jugs as you go to & fro.

• Does your mental list of "tools for car" include a jack and jack stands?

• Bring a multimeter in case you have to fix any of your lights mid-race.

• Your naps will be done with the drone of cars in the background, so I'd grab some ear plugs and maybe even eye masks if you can.

• 2 spare tires

• Sunscreen by the gallon. You'll have to stroll out from under the canopy sometimes.

• Drip pan for fuel stops.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

A couple of tables are nice to have.
One for food stuffs and one to work at.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

And you're gonna need pit lighting.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

You have a daytona, you do not need a bribe. They are going to prophesize your doom and pass you through as C-Class with no laps.

That said, bribing can be fun, See if they'll give you positive penalty laps. The default is booze, but they get a lot of that. Food that isn't junk can be good, it gets shared with track staff usually. Personalized gifts are a great option. Toy car models of cars the judges actually own go over well. Once the list of judges comes out it's easier to nail down.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice