Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

bilcoh wrote:

Maybe that just exposed a weak point that would have shown up on track. It’s a blessing.

Hah prettty sure the car bottomed out on the oil pan after getting airborne and I only had 2 bolts in the trans for mock up.

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner

Was the trans cracked or just the bell housing?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Did you have the clutch assembly installed? Looks like the bellhousing cracked. I would take a good look at the transmission input shaft and make sure it didn't bend with it hanging like that.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

Did you have the clutch assembly installed? Looks like the bellhousing cracked. I would take a good look at the transmission input shaft and make sure it didn't bend with it hanging like that.

No clutch in there.  I'll pull it apart in a day or so and test run out.

No clutch might have saved you. Depends how the pilot bearing is done in that engine. If the flywheel and pilot bearing were still in I'd be worried. If both were out I'd be less worried. If the pilot bearing is in the crank and was installed, I'd be worried.

I hope everything is ok, it's not like you needed more items on your "to complete" list.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

No clutch might have saved you. Depends how the pilot bearing is done in that engine. If the flywheel and pilot bearing were still in I'd be worried. If both were out I'd be less worried. If the pilot bearing is in the crank and was installed, I'd be worried.

I hope everything is ok, it's not like you needed more items on your "to complete" list.

Flywheel was on the engine. 

Yeah, starting to get a little overwhelmed now.  I definitely bit off more than I could chew this time around.

Overambitious projects always payout the best in the end.

Make a list of the critical items to get to race day and focus on those. It's not like you're lacking in ability, just time like the rest of us. Maybe there's a couple locals willing to lend a hand with various tasks.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

darkostoj wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

Flywheel was on the engine. 

Yeah, starting to get a little overwhelmed now.  I definitely bit off more than I could chew this time around.

Dude, take Bayley up on his offer to help! He'll be invaluable to you.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Cracked pan means it's dry-sump time ;-)

310 (edited by darkostoj 2018-09-13 06:51 PM)

So, been trying to figure out how to run the radiator hoses.  The engine is so long being a V10 I have very little space to try and make something work.

I am going to try and see if I can snake a 1.5" hose in there somehow.  I have to weld a fitting on the thermostat housing I modified still.

Upper radiator mount is done, and lowers are almost done.

I really quickly painted the floor on the interior of the car with some herculiner.

Don't judge the crappy radiator welds, my argon tank was almost empty.

27 Days to go.

https://i.imgur.com/eWrJEri.jpg

Ah the time honored "I was basically out of shielding gas" excuse. Welds on the block off plate look great. Radiator welds look like mine when i'm just rushing, aka perfectly fine for the application, just not Instagram worthy.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

312 (edited by Emyr 2018-09-14 07:43 AM)

darkostoj wrote:

I am going to try and see if I can snake a 1.5" hose in there somehow.

For a hose with ID "A", two hoses with ID A x 0.71 will have the same total cross-section, so 2 y fittings and 2 one way valves might help your routing, at the cost of complexity.

Emyr wrote:
darkostoj wrote:

GENIOUS IDEA

won't work for Lemons, but how badass would it be to put a piece of clear plastic in that center hole of the firewall to see the engine while you're driving.

It'll need to be gunrange-spec polycarbonate if you don't want a thrown rod or some other component coming through it. You'd need to check the fire performance of the "plastic" and the product you might use to seal round the edges too.

Use transparent aluminum.  Problem solved.

314 (edited by darkostoj 2018-09-14 04:23 PM)

britully wrote:
Emyr wrote:
darkostoj wrote:

GENIOUS IDEA

won't work for Lemons, but how badass would it be to put a piece of clear plastic in that center hole of the firewall to see the engine while you're driving.

It'll need to be gunrange-spec polycarbonate if you don't want a thrown rod or some other component coming through it. You'd need to check the fire performance of the "plastic" and the product you might use to seal round the edges too.

Use transparent aluminum.  Problem solved.

Huh?!!?!

What the F is that stuff?  So sweet!

I was thinking a close second is a piece of steel with portrait of the Queen.

darkostoj wrote:

"Use transparent aluminum.  Problem solved."

Huh?!!?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride

" Its combination of optical and mechanical properties makes this material a leading candidate for lightweight high-performance transparent armor applications such as bulletproof and blast-resistant windows and for many military infrared optics."

So the upper radiator has threads on it to accept different types of fittings, -16, -20, and 1.5" tube.  I tried using the -20 first and there wasn't enough clearance so as I was unscrewing it, the shitty threads basically ate themselves, dropped an MF'er on that one.  I ended up cutting the threads of the 1.5" adapter I had and welded it on.  The bastard was only screwed on hand tight!

https://i.imgur.com/XaAvevu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6hdIh4P.jpg

Looks like that's what it's gonna be.  I found a hose off a 16 Shelby GT350 we were parting out. I have not very much clearance since you know...V10. A lesser man would have taken the easy with an LS, but not I!

https://i.imgur.com/H9bcNjg.jpg

Oh so sweet

https://i.imgur.com/mKCuXfu.jpg

317 (edited by darkostoj 2018-09-14 04:32 PM)

bilcoh wrote:
darkostoj wrote:

Huh?!!?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride

" Its combination of optical and mechanical properties makes this material a leading candidate for lightweight high-performance transparent armor applications such as bulletproof and blast-resistant windows and for many military infrared optics."

Oh man, $10 per square inch :pucker I think a $10 sticker of the queen may be the best option here.

Build your aluminum or steel panel, but make a clear one from clear plastic and put an ALON sticker in the corner.  See if you can get the judges it past tech, just for fun.

Besides:

"It is commercially available in sizes as big as 18 × 35 inch monolithic windows."

That should fit, right?  You might have to throw away a couple thousand dollars of overage, but what the hell.  I wonder how you cut it.  Or put bolt holes in it?

319 (edited by darkostoj 2018-09-14 05:22 PM)

I was going to build a frame similar to this and hang the cell below the trunk floor.

Would it be OK to build it with 1/8 1x1 aluminum square tube? Be nice to save weight if I don't have to use steel.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xo0D9dxOiiQ/UexFy3WORQI/AAAAAAAAAtY/JvZXBPYb9yQ/s1600/MGB_Fuel_Cell_Cage.jpg.JPG

320 (edited by bilcoh 2018-09-14 05:25 PM)

From page 20 of "How not to fail Lemons tech"

<failed attempt to insert image here>

That would seem like the answer would be NO, but I see the MG build thread where you found the image for the idea.  I'm curious what the answer is.

321 (edited by darkostoj 2018-09-16 07:08 PM)

24 DAYS TO GO

The fuel cell will be both under the trunk floor and above the floor mounted away from the rear of the car.  Hopefully that should be good!

https://i.imgur.com/KtHYr9V.jpg

Tires ON

https://i.imgur.com/vLxjnOj.jpg

Had to get a longer steering column, the car is just HUGE

https://i.imgur.com/aRQAlK0.jpg

The pedal assembly is similar to our setup in the Rover.
TEO John Pagel did mention it at our last outing. (he did not make us change it, but he did mention it as not meeting the rules.. IE no fluids in the driver compartment )
The VW bug with the Honda Engine has the same setup and Pagel gave them some issue too.
You might want to ask if he wants something done differently.
Just giving a Heads up.
Love the Build.
Manny

I would NOT make your fuel cell cage from aluminum. Fuel safety is not something to mess around with.

At October last year we had a car drive under the back of the saab under heavy braking and hit our fuel cell cage. The cage itself stayed square and did not deform, but the mounting bars did bend and allow the cage to move some. Results were that I needed to cut it out and re-mount it, but that was it. If the cage had deformed and allowed the cell to deform I'd be looking at replacing parts of or the whole fuel cell. Cage is made from .125" wall 1" square tube, and it was mounted with .083" wall 1" square tube.

Again, fuel is not an area to shortcut. Assume the worst can happen, built it accordingly.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

darkostoj wrote:
bilcoh wrote:
darkostoj wrote:

Huh?!!?!

Oh man, $10 per square inch :pucker I think a $10 sticker of the queen may be the best option here.

I dind't actually know this material existed in real life.  I used it as a Star Trek reference.  It's what the windows are made out of on the Enterprise, and what they used to build the tank to carry the whales in Star Trek IV. 

I'll show myself out . . . .

Good news!

I just had a talk with John Pagel, and he said everything he has seen with the car on the forum is OK.

Whew!