Topic: Must Have for Jetta Development

Actually not but it looks fancy.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CwXxSbn7ni4pNfEr9

Re: Must Have for Jetta Development

that is interesting to me. I have one. I definitely shows the tumbling air that would pick up exhaust and bring it back to the rear windshield. I wonder how it works with the side windows and rear window removed. Probably just as applicable to all the Volvos and a bunch of BMWs.

#44 VW Jetta "Le Mondrian"
Arsesweat '17 finished 10th in (B), 3 finishes in 7 races
#96 Silver Subaru Legacy Automatic w Orange Top (formerly)

You may find this interesting then too. None of that stuff helped us win BTW.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FMnLQMFjDzTOEMzm2

meistro wrote:

You may find this interesting then too. None of that stuff helped us win BTW.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FMnLQMFjDzTOEMzm2

Always loved the concept of active aero, but there's so much physics involved and wind-tunnel-testing that for backyard mechanics like us (OK, me), my brilliant aerodynamic innovations often made no discernible improvement to handling, and instead, increased drag by a 1000%.

I am seriously impressed by the amount of effort that went into the Jetta wing design and study... reminds me of one of my favorite cars, the 1966 Chaparral 2E... the difference being the vertical struts on the 2E were mounted directly to the chassis over the rear axle, vs the Jetta wing which seems to be mounted to a sheetmetal decklid(?!?)  There's so much surface area on the Jetta wing that when the driver stomps on the brakes at top speed, putting the wing in vertical position, one of two things will happen:  the front end will get very light (killing your braking performance), or the wing will violently rip off.  So with that said, hard-mount the wing to the roll cage, just aft of the main hoop, and you're GOLDEN!

Bad Mojo Racing
1971 Opel GT "Breadvan"
2012 - April Gingerman (Ercole Spada Award) and October AutoBahn (19th in Class B, 52nd OA )
2013 - April Gingerman (8th in Class B, 25th OA) and June AutoBahn (WINNER Class B, 9th OA)

and all of this shows that the double wing I found in the vw forums likely will have no effect except to look cool on our car.

"likely will have no effect except to look cool on our car."

Isn't that all that really matters...?   big_smile

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Racing is a psychological game.

bikejeff wrote:

Racing is a psychological game.

right...you gotta be a bit nuts to play....

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

bikejeff wrote:

and all of this shows that the double wing I found in the vw forums likely will have no effect except to look cool on our car.

It does what I designed it to do very well. Minimal drag when down and when engaged it feels like I just deployed a parachute that puts itself away when I nail the gas. big_smile It just didn't have any effect on winning a race. We can stop real good though big_smile

That thing is so big and so high and has SO much angle going on. Takes some quality fabrication to keep it on the trunk lid.