Topic: How to Cold Pit Stop? (first time team captain and driver) MSR '18

1) Cold pit before or after Hot pit?

2) How often should a rookie team expect to pull into the cold pit? - I'm thinking currently at minimum between every driver swap.

3) What else should we be inspecting during cold pits? check tire pressure/ oil/ coolant (H2O) levels/ tire wear

4) Are the tracks normally set up such that you can go from the cold pit to the hot pit and/or vica-versa?

5) Anything else i should be thinking about during cold pits?

This is my first day posting on the forums and i must say the responses i have received have been awesome thus far - thanks in advance!

Zac

2 (edited by bilcoh 2018-09-18 01:45 PM)

Re: How to Cold Pit Stop? (first time team captain and driver) MSR '18

Get F##ked, Zac!!!

Just didn't want you thinking it's always peaches and cream around here <g>.

BTW, totally loving that you're asking all my questions.  Keep up the good work.

<internal dialogue>
"Jeez, Dave, you're a noob here.  What the hell are you doing?  I sure hope they think that's funny."
</internal dialogue>

bilcoh wrote:

Get F##ked, Zac!!!

Just didn't want you thinking it's always peaches and cream around here <g>.

BTW, totally loving that you're asking all my questions.  Keep up the good work.

<internal dialogue>
"Jeez, Dave, you're a noob here.  What the hell are you doing?  I sure hope they think that's funny."
</internal dialogue>

hahahahahaha

It's all rainbows and butterflys....... until you show up with a team full of ADHD middle-schoolers  with no sense of direction in life.

waffle_stomp wrote:

ADHD middle-schoolers

I think you just found your team name, if you don't have one.  Good luck with your first race.

I imagine there are a wide range of opinions on this, but here's mine: Don't plan to bring the car into the cold pits (a.k.a. the paddock) unless you suspect something specifically needs attention. The item needing attention could be either the car or the driver, by the way. Our visits to the paddock tend, therefore, to occur without prior planning unless it's a "well, take it out for a couple of laps and come back in so we can double-check what we just fixed" type of situation.

The layout depends on the individual track, but typically it is possible to exit from the hot pits directly to the paddock. Frequently it is not possible, however, to enter the hot pits directly from the paddock. This last point is particularly worth keeping in mind should you ever find your car in the paddock mid-race while either very low or completely out of fuel, making it undesirable or even impossible to go on track for a lap in order to reach the hot pits for refueling. At that point your only hope is to find a judge and plead for special dispensation to splash a small amount of fuel into the car in the paddock while under strict supervision from the officials, unless of course you're at one of those fancy tracks with on-site fuel pumps to which the car can be pushed or towed.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

waffle_stomp wrote:

1) Cold pit before or after Hot pit?

2) How often should a rookie team expect to pull into the cold pit? - I'm thinking currently at minimum between every driver swap.

3) What else should we be inspecting during cold pits? check tire pressure/ oil/ coolant (H2O) levels/ tire wear

4) Are the tracks normally set up such that you can go from the cold pit to the hot pit and/or vica-versa?

5) Anything else i should be thinking about during cold pits?

This is my first day posting on the forums and i must say the responses i have received have been awesome thus far - thanks in advance!

Zac

Welcome to the madness!

We're not as experienced as some of the folks offering advice but here are two cents from someone who has captained a shitty crapcan followed by a decently well-sorted 'racecar':

1) You don't need to link these in your mind - see 2 and 4 below - hot pit is gas plus possible (and typical) driver change only; cold pit is checks and/or issues plus possible driver change

2) At the start of your very first race you will have a cold-to-hot ratio of probably 3:1. It's tough to say exactly because it will depend on fuel consumption and capacity but if your drivers have no wheel to wheel experience and you have a car that's freshly built limit the first round of stints to six laps - 2 to get familiar with the track, 2 to get familiar with the car, and 2 to get familiar with the traffic - and hopefully everyone will get a fews laps before someone suddenly decides they're a Driving God and destroys the car ...

3) For the first few stints all off the above until you're confident you're not consuming mass quantities of anything going around the track

4) Note MSR is configured in such away that track-off is prior to the hot pit and track-on is after it so you can't do both without a 'filler' lap

5) Make sure everyone stays safe and has fun - in that order!

Enjoy

#98 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight - Class A car in the hands of a Class D team - MSR Houston IOE!

OK, Obligatory first timers reminder:

Make it safe
Make it reliable
Make it brake
Start winning in the pits
Make it fast

This is the order all things should be considered.  Before any of them though, make it fun!

So Just keep that mantra, especially the fun part, in your head always.

i think you're overthinking a little. Which is 100% normal for a new team.

If you are paranoid, then come in and check the car every driver change, but you should not need to. wheels should not be coming loose if they're torqued right, you should know about any leaks large enough that you need to add fluids and have fixed them. And you should have gauges and observant drivers that notice if something is going wrong that needs attention. In general don't sweat it too much, but feel free to bring the car in as much as you want to check it over. Just remember that all time in the pits is laps you are losing.

As to what order to do them? 100% track dependent. NJ you can bring a car from the main pits to the hot pits and then back in to the main pits again. So you can do it in any order. NH if yo'ure in the hot pits you're going back for a lap before you come in again, so you would cold pit, then go to the hot pits, then back to racing. CT you can hot pit, then main pits, then back out. each track has a different config and you need to figure out what works. I've never raced MSR.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

1) Not at MSR

2) Do you expect something wrong with the car? Cold pit after 2-3 hours, check fluids. If all is good don’t cold put any more, to quite Captain Ron,  If anything is going to happen, it's going to happen out there.

3) How far do you want to go? Oil, water, brakes, tires, suspension play.  You can just keep going.

4) Not MSR. If we did cold pit at MSR we just used the fuel pump.

Our first race we brought a car that had not been cn the road in 20 years and all we did to the engine was drop the pan and clean out the junk.  We didn’t think we had a chance of masking it 4 hours, much less18 hours.  We didn’t have times or driving order planed. We all did like 30 minutes stints the first day with super long cold pit stops checking everything. Once we even had 2 who were telling the other to go out because they didn’t want to break the car before everyone got a chance.  By day 2 we were pitting at the pump half time and hot pit half.  Overall we wasted a lot of track time.

Also how big of a tank does your car have and what fuel jugs do you have?  The VP jugs are not bad, but google ways to modify them.
Are you in Houston?

blenny wrote:

Also how big of a tank does your car have and what fuel jugs do you have?  The VP jugs are not bad, but google ways to modify them.
Are you in Houston?

Would modifying them still keep them

handheld DOT-, SCCA-, or FIA-approved 5-gallon or smaller jugs

Also y'all see this thing?
https://vpracingfuels.com/product/5-gallon-vp-surecan/

And that is DOT certified.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

There are a lot of modified gas cans on the pit, mostly the air inlet.
Here is an old thread discussing it.
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=18232

13 (edited by jbl 2018-09-19 05:21 AM)

OnkelUdo wrote:

OK, Obligatory first timers reminder:

Make it safe
Make it reliable
Make it brake
Start winning in the pits
Make it fast

This is the order all things should be considered.  Before any of them though, make it fun!

So Just keep that mantra, especially the fun part, in your head always.

Lots of great responses here and in your other posts from people much more experienced than myself, but I think this touches on a major point.  We've been "racing" for years and we're still working on the first 3.  If anything, the most important thing I've learned from Lemons is that expectation is the mother of frustration.  Don't set yourself up for a sour weekend by thinking things will go smoothly to the point of worrying about how much time you're spending in the pit lane.   

You're all going to be excited and that excitement can lead to mistakes, especially in newcomers.  Concentrate on getting people into and out of the car safely.  Spend the extra time tightening belts, making sure the harness is properly located on yourself and your HANS, make sure people are paying attention, especially in the hot pits.  I don't think we actually started to do hot pits until our 3rd race, just out of an abundance of caution (honestly, what difference was it going to make if we came in 88th instead of 95th?).  Do not speed in the pits and especially in the paddock area.  Do not rush things.  Take your time and turn laps.  I once saw a post in here before to the effect of "go out there and turn laps, and if you can, race a little".  In other words, don't go out there running 10/10ths...it's an endurance race first and foremost, but also presumably your first one.  Circulate safely, and when you have the opportunities to do so safely, turn the wick up a bit.  Be ready to turn it back down too.  It's not like a pack running around Talladega lap after lap, it's a mish-mosh of fast cars and slow cars, rookies and veterans.  Ignore your speedometer and lap times...they're useless to you and many of us at this point in our illustrious "racing careers". 

If you don't know out there, ask.  The camaraderie and support is one of the best things about Lemons.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

I see no reason to visit the cold pits (paddock) unless something is broken or you need to add oil or something to keep it from going boom.  Going to the paddock gives you two opportunities for penalties as well...i.e. speeding coming in, and going back out.

As you, your team, and the car get better, you'll want to gain time on the track by reducing time in the pits.  Might as well start practicing this right from the start IMO.  Even before our first race, my team practiced pit stops (in full gear!) in my driveway.  Yeah, my neighbors thought we were all nuts, but it REALLY helped when we were doing it for real during the race.  Not so much the speed of our movements, but knowing who was supposed to do what and when, with no confusion, made our stops pretty decent.  After lots of races and lots of practice, we can now change a driver and add 15 gallons of fuel in 3 minutes.  Not exactly NASCAR fast, but they don't change drivers or use (3) 5 gallon jugs for fueling either.

Another thing to consider, that I don't think has been yet asked, do you an your team have ANY track experience?  If so, what's the longest time you've driven a car at speed?  Most HPDE sessions are 20 MINUTES, most Lemons teams go two HOURS before a driver change.  Have you ever concentrated, without a break, for TWO HOURS?  Add the fact of wearing a helmet and moving blanket (aka fire suit) and it's is very taxing on you mentally and physically.  That said, if you haven't done it, work up to it slowly, and swap drivers at least every hour, if not sooner.

TL;DR...Swapping drivers and fueling in the paddock will only teach you to be slow, but you know this is a race right?

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

blenny wrote:

Are you in Houston?

OEM fuel tank - i cant find the exact capacity but i'd assume its around 12-14 gallons (1984 300ZX VG30 [naturally aspirated] rust bucket).

we are local to Houston and will be working on the car this weekend (mainly Saturday) - if anyone wants to stop by and have a look we are in the oak forest area (just north of the heights) hit me up and i can send you the address. 512 -560 -7087

VKZ24 wrote:

Another thing to consider, that I don't think has been yet asked, do you an your team have ANY track experience?  If so, what's the longest time you've driven a car at speed?  Most HPDE sessions are 20 MINUTES, most Lemons teams go two HOURS before a driver change.  Have you ever concentrated, without a break, for TWO HOURS?  Add the fact of wearing a helmet and moving blanket (aka fire suit) and it's is very taxing on you mentally and physically.  That said, if you haven't done it, work up to it slowly, and swap drivers at least every hour, if not sooner.

TL;DR...Swapping drivers and fueling in the paddock will only teach you to be slow, but you know this is a race right?

2 drivers have a ton of track time- 2 drives have very little to none - and I have a respectable amount but not a ton.

we have had the car at 2 track days so far - with minor failures experienced at each -- fuel line rupture (that was fun) -- coolant line rupture (also fun-- this is why you need to run water...)  we replaced every inch of coolant line and fuel line and radiator (hopefully we wont have trouble with those systems come november).

we expect to get the car to at least one more track day at grand sport before the Nov race.

It really depends on the car.  Do you burn oil or lose other fluids.  How long can you last on a set of tires or brakes.  If you don't know you have to think how long before you want to check some of those things.  I really don't think anyone is going to be able to give you a good answer because it depends on your team and your car,

My 24 hour race we had not hot pits but at no point did I feel tempted to even raise the hood, but my car is weird and doesn't really do what the "smart people" say it should happened many races ago.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page