Topic: What to do about hot feet?

last time we took the car to the track we were running a proper train on it and had the car running almost continually for about and hour. during the last 15 minutes or so i noticed my feet were getting pretty hot (in vans canvas shoes).

Just wanting to know what some of you recommend as a fix - dont want to melt any shoes during the race.

I'm thinking currently maybe applying aluminum tape to the outside of the fire wall - or possibly the inside (although the inside doesnt make much sense considering the AL tape will just heat up due to conduction-- per my poor understanding of thermodynamics).

Also considering adding a side scoop pointed towards the feet  (3d printed just for funzies) (or maybe a PVC elbow) (or hooded dryer wall vent)

https://a360.co/2QnXcMB -- totally just messing around with this - not the final design or anything just thought it would be fun for yall to look at and pick apart.

Re: What to do about hot feet?

Probably easiest and most effective would be insulate the floor.  There are a variety of products that you can use to do this depend on how much money you want to spend.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Air is a great insulator, make a piece of tin between anything hot and the underside of floor, inside, make a new drivers floor "plate" mount with a inch of gap.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

BoB wrote:

Probably easiest and most effective would be insulate the floor.  There are a variety of products that you can use to do this depend on how much money you want to spend.

I like the input - I'm thinking of just putting some of this down (mainly on the fire wall interior behind the pedals) --- also the transmission tunnel needs it due to the proximity to the exhaust pipe.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTouch- … wQod9EAFTA

Team Infinniti wrote:

Air is a great insulator, make a piece of tin between anything hot and the underside of floor, inside, make a new drivers floor "plate" mount with a inch of gap.

This would make a nice solid floor - maybe diamond plate with a nice air gap.

How do yall feel about adding some ducting into the foot area/compartment? is this a common lemon practice? not sure how the tech judges would like a side duct sticking out of the car door or quarter panel.... thoughts?

waffle_stomp wrote:
Team Infinniti wrote:

This would make a nice solid floor - maybe diamond plate with a nice air gap.

How do yall feel about adding some ducting into the foot area/compartment? is this a common lemon practice? not sure how the tech judges would like a side duct sticking out of the car door or quarter panel.... thoughts?

Have done all the above with success, in a pinch mid race we took the carpeted floor mat out of the parts car, flipped it carpet side down and screwed it down, also with success.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

https://image.ibb.co/dYaTbe/untitled.png

Wrapping the exhaust with insulation will help a lot if its running near where your feet are.

We rivetted an oven mitt to the floor one race.  Worked surprisingly well. 

We had our mufflers right under the driver's floor.  Bad move.  I just redid the exhaust and put the mufflers in back.  Keep the exhaust and anything that will act as a heat sink away from the floor. 

And also away from anything fuel-related. 

Heat wrap the exhaust tubes if its still a problem.  And the piece of sheet metal to act as a heat shield.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

We are going to spray the drivers side of the floor with 3m undercoating.

Team Safety 3rd Racing.
1985 Dodge Daytona Turbo-currently being lemonized.
https://www.facebook.com/TeamSafety3rdRacing/

As someone who has built a passenger-mounted powered car. We wrapped the exhaust system that was in the passenger's compartment, ran insulation on the inside (heat side) of the engine panels and created an air gap between the driver and engine panels. If your feet are getting hot, create a heel rest (false floor) using sheet metal , bolts and spacers to keep your feet above the floor, or build a pedal box around your feet with ducting.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

mechimike wrote:

We rivetted an oven mitt to the floor one race.

I've seen this done before.....a silicone oven mitt from the local Walmart....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Safety3rdRacing wrote:

We are going to spray the drivers side of the floor with 3m undercoating.

Depending on the model of undercoating, that shit burns like hot tar.  Be very cautious.