Topic: MSR Houston Full 24, Who's going?

Judging by how quick the garages and covered paddock spaces sold out, I'm guessing an above-average number of teams are trucking their shit down to Angleton this year. In fact, if I'm doing my math right, there are 142 entrants registered. How many of y'all are actually showing up?

EVR will be there with the Dart (hopefully with some of its lingering kinks worked out), and also maybe another top secret project car that sucks.

But wait, there's more! Remember that film crew that was at the track last fall? They're coming back this year for the official first screening of their documentary! All those Hollywood premiers have red carpets and black ties, so it's only fitting that we throw a fancy cocktail party to go along with the usual potluck hoedown. Friday night is the only night to party at a full 24, so that's when it'll happen. Details of the film screening are still being worked out, but I imagine it'll be sometime after tech closes and people have a chance to put their shit up and grab some food.

Here's the signup sheet for the potluck, so you know if 3 other people are already bringing creamed corn:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … sp=sharing

Looking forward to racing in the dark with you maniacs.

Re: MSR Houston Full 24, Who's going?

Sadly, Team DadBod will not make the race this year due to two of the wifes having surgery around the time of the race.  We are planning, however, to come out Saturday and watch.  If any of you need help, we might be talked into it with the appropriate amount of beer and bacon.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

The Lowball gremlin will be there, and maybe the car won’t break Friday and we will have the opportunity to be social this time.
Just disappointed we didn’t get a covered paddock, guess Inshould have expected a bigger turn out for 24 hours.

We will be there!  No idea what to expect nor any clue what we are doing....but we are gonna have fun!

Team Safety 3rd Racing.
1985 Dodge Daytona Turbo-currently being lemonized.
https://www.facebook.com/TeamSafety3rdRacing/

Big purple Olds 98 will be there - just need to stop procrastinating and get some lighting sorted.

Toni

#98 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight - Class A car in the hands of a Class D team - MSR Houston IOE!

We'll be there with several cars. Looking forward to the movie & cocktail party.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

New team, fix it til it's broke. We'll be there, even if we manage to burn down the car trying to get it ready,

Really excited to see there is more going on than just the race.

and we signed up to bring creamed corn.

Now, that's just asking for some corny jokes.

Slowly raises hand...team coming together...entry in and accepted....

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

We've never done this race. How does camping work here we are familiar with CMP but not this track? We will have a RV.

Thanks!

Justin
Dixie Wrecked Racing
90 BMW 325i / Ford 302 and other janky crap

jraisor3 wrote:

We've never done this race. How does camping work here we are familiar with CMP but not this track? We will have a RV.

Thanks!

It won't matter...you get no sleep at a 24 hours race.  You get the frustration of falling asleep just in time for the car to come in because the alternator stopped charging or the brakes are on fire (again).  It is best just to start a meth habit before hand and go on a 48 hours bender then check yourself into rehab.

Detailed map here
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=35608

That map is awesome.

The only issue with camping at MSR (aside from it being in a swamp) is that the entire paddock is paved. If you get there early enough to snag one of the spaces on the north end of where the "skid pad" is (on your far left when you enter the facility), then you could set up tents off in the grass.

OnkelUdo wrote:
jraisor3 wrote:

Thanks!

It won't matter...you get no sleep at a 24 hours race.  You get the frustration of falling asleep just in time for the car to come in because the alternator stopped charging or the brakes are on fire (again).  It is best just to start a meth habit before hand and go on a 48 hours bender then check yourself into rehab.

Well we will be there Thursday night so still need somewhere to setup.

Justin
Dixie Wrecked Racing
90 BMW 325i / Ford 302 and other janky crap

Team Orca will be there in style!

Having never been to MSR I have questions.....

Do we run hot pit or paddock for refueling?
Being a late entry where is a good place to park close to the pit lane without having a garage/awning?

Does anyone with a Garage/Awning want to split it and share with us?
We are friendly, bring all sorts of car fixing tools and plan to be on track for 24 hrs so you will hardly notice us wink

FOG Racing (a holey owned subdivision of Uh-Oh Motorsports will be there in the Mitsubishi Mirage of death... or maybe it is the dead Mitsubishi Mirage - oh wait that;s redundant).  Anyway,  I think part of the paddock problem is that there was some storm damage at the track, resulting in multiple paddock canvas roofs being destroyed, not sure if they have been fixed yet - so anyway we will be there and for once the car is already running (actually has been running since the last race), lighting is basically sorted and such so we expect imminent failure at test and tune.  We'll check out the potluck page and make sure our creamed corn fits in the menu... how many people to prep for?   We plan on arriving Thurs night, breaking the car on Friday, fixing the car on Fri Night, breaking the car on Sat, fixing the car on Sat night, and getting back on track just in time for checkered flag on Sun... Looking forward to the 24hr format 0 since we haven;t been completely exhausted enough after a regular Lemons weekend..  Plus we drive badly enough during the day, can't image what our lap times will be in the dark..

Brett85p wrote:

Having never been to MSR I have questions.....

Do we run hot pit or paddock for refueling?
Being a late entry where is a good place to park close to the pit lane without having a garage/awning?

Does anyone with a Garage/Awning want to split it and share with us?
We are friendly, bring all sorts of car fixing tools and plan to be on track for 24 hrs so you will hardly notice us wink

MSR is a hot-pit track -- fueling & driver changes only, cool-shirt ice additions OK when it's a hot race.
Unless someone chimes in to offer a pit-wall garage or you get there early enough to grab one of the six or so most-valued-spots along the pit fence, all paddock spots require schlepping your fuel jugs a decent way so bring a cart.

The canopies are a little odd-- they're covered with a thick mesh similar to what you'd see on the fence around a tennis court, so they provide shade but during a strong rain you still get moistened with a fine spritz of water coming through them. Still nice to have them because they do provide a few 120V plugs.

Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

What are you guys doing for lights? I'm replacing my assemblies with new ones and upgrading the bulbs, and looking at fog lights for cornering lights now,

jteasers wrote:

What are you guys doing for lights? I'm replacing my assemblies with new ones and upgrading the bulbs, and looking at fog lights for cornering lights now,

Our best setup involved Hella 500s and a mounting bar (intended for Toyota Tundra) found on Craigslist.

There are good tips on lights, wiring, and aiming from this thread from 2011: https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … hp?id=9274
and this one from 2012: https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=16428

LEDs and HIDs are easier to find than they were in 2011 and 2012, but it's hard to tell which LED lights are good and which ones will just make a big scatter of glare, especially the bars targeted at off-road use.

74 races so far.

21 (edited by chadadams59 2018-10-08 06:10 AM)

Fireball racing will be towing two cars down from Chicago.  One is a completely new build and will almost certainly blow up on the parade laps.  The other is a full 24 veteran and will DOMINATE.  We might get around to starting/finishing a theme.  There will be Fireball.

Crap.  Lights.  %$#$%^&GFGJFU*&^R!

Fireball Racing - ‘67 Ford Fairlane and ‘73 Saab Sonett

I've lost a lot, but the Fairlane finally won an IoE.

chadadams59 wrote:

Fireball racing will be towing two cars down from Chicago.  One is a completely new build and will almost certainly blow up on the parade laps.  The other is a full 24 veteran and will DOMINATE.  We might get around to starting/finishing a theme.  There will be Fireball.

Crap.  Lights.  %$#$%^&GFGJFU*&^R!

Oh hell yes!

23 (edited by jteasers 2018-10-15 07:19 AM)

cpchampion wrote:
jteasers wrote:

Our best setup involved Hella 500s and a mounting bar (intended for Toyota Tundra) found on Craigslist.

There are good tips on lights, wiring, and aiming from this thread from 2011: https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … hp?id=9274
and this one from 2012: https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=16428

LEDs and HIDs are easier to find than they were in 2011 and 2012, but it's hard to tell which LED lights are good and which ones will just make a big scatter of glare, especially the bars targeted at off-road use.

I've read both. as of now we're running a new pair of oem halogen headligh assemblies with some high quality headlights, and looking at fog lights for cornering lights. I keep eyeing the ones on my wifes mdx and trying to decide if she will notice them missing or not......

I'll probably end up with some hellas though.

Part of me wants more, but this is a new build and I'm already in the doghouse with the wife for how much my $500 car is costing.

Any idea what judges will be at the race?

Team Safety 3rd Racing.
1985 Dodge Daytona Turbo-currently being lemonized.
https://www.facebook.com/TeamSafety3rdRacing/

jteasers wrote:

I've read both. as of now we're running a new pair of oem halogen headligh assemblies with some high quality headlights, and looking at fog lights for cornering lights. I keep eyeing the ones on my wifes mdx and trying to decide if she will notice them missing or not......

I'll probably end up with some hellas though.

Part of me wants more, but this is a new build and I'm already in the doghouse with the wife for how much my $500 car is costing.

Well if you keep the MDX fogs intact and put them back at the end, they don't cost anything, do they?

74 races so far.