Topic: Miata Harness Bar Height

So this is a cross post from the noob section. Want to make sure I get some input while we have time to work on it. Won't let me link to the other post 'cause I'm too new to the forums, so here's the question.

Thanks!

So our team has a 6'4" driver and me, at 5'8". We had to lower the seat to fit tall guy. With the dropped seat, the harness bar is just level with my shoulder. Checking the docs on the harness install, the harness bar/restraint height is supposed to be a 0 degress to -20 degrees below the driver's shoulder.

So here's the question. Am I going to pass tech here, or do I need to sit higher? If I need to sit higher, can add some SFI padding to the seat or would I need to raise the seat itself?

http://www.corbell.org/shared/shoulder-height.jpg

Re: Miata Harness Bar Height

The correct answer to any question like this is "ask John Pagel" but even if tech has an issue with this particular arrangement, lots of people use all manner of non-SFI rated boosters to raise up their shorter drivers.

Electric Mayhem Racing

Or you can add a second shoulder bar below that one.  With that, you can attach the harness to the lower one and run it over the top bar for taller drivers, and direct from the lower for shorter ones.

We got the OK from Mr Pagel for that in our car.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

Thanks for the input. John got back to me and it looks like it's OK.. Have to see it in person at tech, but I think we're good.

If you don't already have one, a clamp for the harness bar to keep the left hand belt slipping onto the curved section would be smart. Better to find something now than scramble at the track if the tech inspector thinks you need it.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

If you don't already have one, a clamp for the harness bar to keep the left hand belt slipping onto the curved section would be smart. Better to find something now than scramble at the track if the tech inspector thinks you need it.

This.

A simple muffler clamp bolted to the roll bar will work as a last-minute resort, but there's more elegant solutions if you have an extra day or two.

The Pentastar whisperer

Done - thanks!