Topic: Pre-programmed radio frequencies for the Lemons Rugged Radios

Hi - I just bought my radios from the Lemons Store.  I got the RH5R-V2 radios and they come programmed with a *bunch* of frequencies.

Race 1-16
Lemons 1-16
GMRS 1-16

There are a few other channels with weird names and a few weather radio frequencies.

Does anyone have a list of what frequencies these are?  Do the three sets of frequencies overlap?  Are some VHF/UHF?

Just curious - thanks in advance.

/Chuck

Re: Pre-programmed radio frequencies for the Lemons Rugged Radios

Geeze they didn't even give you a channel card?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Have you asked Rugged?

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Great Idea - I checked with Rugged and got this response:

Hi Charles,
The easiest way is to get programming software from RT Systems and read the radio. That way you can program in different channels if you want later.
https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/
Thanks,

Now I will go do that and figure things out.

So I got the software and pulled in all the frequencies  for the RH5R-V2 that I just purchased at the Lemons Store. Here they are:

RACE 1    462.5625
RACE 2    462.5875
RACE 3    462.6125
RACE 4    462.6375
RACE 5    462.6625
RACE 6    462.6875
RACE 7    462.7125
RACE 8    462.575
RACE 9    462.625
RACE 10    462.675
RACE 11    462.55
RACE 12    462.6
RACE 13    462.65
RACE 14    462.7
RACE 15    462.725
RACE 16    462.75
LEMON 1    464.5
LEMON 2    464.55
LEMON 3    467.7625
LEMON 4    467.8125
LEMON 5    467.85
LEMON 6    467.875
LEMON 7    467.9
LEMON 8    467.925
LEMON 9    462.575
LEMON10    462.625
LEMON11    462.675
LEMON12    464.325
LEMON13    464.825
LEMON14    469.2625
LEMON15    469.5
LEMON16    469.55
GMRS 1    462.5625
GMRS 2    462.5875
GMRS 3    462.6125
GMRS 4    462.6375
GMRS 5    462.6625
GMRS 6    462.6875
GMRS 7    462.7125
GMRS 8    462.55
GMRS 9    462.575
GMRS10    462.6
GMRS 11    462.625
GMRS 12    462.65
GMRS 13    462.675
GMRS 14    462.7
GMRS 15    462.725
GMRS 16    462.75

6 (edited by drchuck 2018-09-15 11:57 AM)

The real reason for figuring out the frequencies was because I already had purchased a "Ham Radio UV5R Compatible With Baofeng Walkie Talkie,Dual Band Two Way Radio 6Pack" and wondered if it would interoperate with the Rugged radios so people could walk around the pits with the cheaper radios.

I tuned my Rugged to a frequency and the BaoFeng to a different frequency and viola!  They were talking.

Baofeng radios:  https://amzn.to/2xgp2kY

I tried to program my Baofeng with the Rugged software and failed.   Clearly the Baofeng can set itself to *any* frequency - which is cool but can get you in real trouble if you stumble on an emergency services frequency, etc.   I may go get the Baofeng software to see if I can come up with a setup to clone them with the pre-set Lemons frequencies.

It  CAN be programmed, but they do NOT work properly at frequencies they wern’t certified for.
They barely work properly then, but they are NOT designed to transmit in the 400s. They bleed all over the spectrum with un quenched harmonics.

We switched to used certified FMRS range radios frm eBay and never want to go back.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Thanks.  I was mostly going to use the BaoFeng to have more people to be able to walk around and monitor the frequency.   The two-way talk for the crew chief and driver will be using our the two Rugged radios.

As scanners they work well and cheaper than a lot of recirve only scanners.

The Rugged Radios in the Lemons store are Baofengs.

CHIRP is popular programming software.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Thanks Tony - Does anyone have a Lemons Config for CHIRP with the pre-defined frequencies.  We should have one and share it it would seem.

Yes, I know - you give a mouse a cookie and they ask for a glass of milk smile

Thanks.

13 (edited by donald.becker 2019-08-07 06:20 PM)

Presumably the interesting info isn't the frequency, but the programming for the subcodes.

The subcode is the sub-audible signal transmitted with the voice signal.  The receiving radio looks for that specific low frequency tone or digital code and only opens squelch (turns on the speaker) when it see the correct tone.  It's sometimes called a "privacy code", but it doesn't provide any privacy.  It just keeps you from hearing other people's transmissions.

If you want to be compatible with the programmed channels, you need to know the CTCSS frequency or DCS subcode.  CTCSS is also known as PL, and DCS as DPL.  Manufacturers can't even agree on the name, let alone the numbering, so you need to know the actual frequency or code.

It's worth noting that the UV-5R is basically an outlaw radio.  It is sold as a "Part 90" rules radio.  And it's not actually compliant with even those loose rules on Part 90 frequencies because it can be trivially programmed from the keypad for higher power and non-permitted modulation.   The combination of arbitrary keypad programming (frequency, modulation, offsets and power) and detachable antenna also make it not certifiable for most other radio services, except for ham radio where the operators are supposed to know the technical details of what is allowed.

Not that anyone will come after you for operating a modest power handheld radio, as long as you keep away from frequencies licensed to other users.

Looks like "Race 1-16" is the same list as "GMRS 1-16".

The FCC website has a lot of good info: https://fccid.io/frequency-explorer.php … r=467.7125

As others have said, the Baofeng radios can be programmed to a wide range of frequencies (in both VHF and UHF bands), some of which are reserved for licensed use for such things as business, fire, police and ambulance services. Please don't just pick a random frequency, do your research and make sure that you are transmitting on a frequency that won't result in a phone call to the track about unauthorized use on an emergency frequency. Its happened before. The best bet is to just stick to the GMRS and FRS frequencies (some of which overlap).

Here's an example: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=1535

If you notice, 467.925MHz is licensed for a private business (local minor league baseball security) and is also Lemons 8. If you are not near downtown Hartford, CT then this will not be a problem, but this frequency could be licensed to another business in another part of the country. If you happen to choose a frequency that is being used by the local police department, you can be sure that the track will get a phone call or a visit from the local authorities.

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

I know others have brought this up, but it really is important: be aware that every frequency on this list does require a license to use. The "Race" 1-16 being the exact same a GMRS 1-16 require a GMRS license. Which is easy enough to get online: https://midlandusa.com/why-do-i-need-a- … -i-get-it/

The "Lemons" channels are just business band frequencies that have nothing to with Lemons. Lemons hasn't paid for use of them in any way. Other businesses have. And no, as an individual, even as a "motor sports team" you won't be able to get a license for the channels. Plus they're pretty pricey.

It actually really disappoints me that Lemons even sells these things. Rugged Radios is a total scam and completely shirk any responsibility for informing people of the license requirements around their radios.

I've put together an Amazon list as a reasonably priced, GMRS only, alternative to the Rugged Radios bs. I don't make any money if anyone buys of this list, it's purely informational: https://www.amazon.com/ideas/amzn1.acco … cp_vl_ov_d

~$250 vs $500+ and all you have to worry about is getting a GMRS license.

This is an excellent summary - I wish I found it before I bough all my radios.  This should be pineed somehow - or at least be part of its own thread.