Topic: Porsche

Ok, my son is 16 and we are looking at getting a 3rd vehicle.  I figure for safety giving him my 2016 GMC Terrain and I can pick up a beater I can use for a couple of years and then turn it around and run it on the track.  In all my haze, I stumbled across two 1986 Porsche 944's, one is complete, just won't start and automatic, no title but can get the paperwork to get one and the other one is stripped, but has another motor and manual transmission and a title.  I can get both for $750.  My questions are:

1.  How bad of an idea is this?
2.  Anyone need parts?
3.  Should I keep the shell of the parts car and start getting a cage in there?
4.  No really, how bad of an idea is this?

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Re: Porsche

How much do you like wrenching? Because if you like putting in insane hours for even common jobs, sure, go for it. They're fun, and they look cool, but damn the porsche engineers made it hard as hell to work on.

I have a brand new clutch and pressure plate for one in my garage. they have surface rust, but they've literally never been used. Would cut a deal on them. And if that manual still has the rubber center clutch you WILL want to change it.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

According to the complete car owner,  it turns over,  just doesn't fire.   So it's either fuel or spark.   The parts car owner said the motor will run when put back in a car and the transmission was just rebuilt.   I'm hoping to look at both this weekend.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

If your goal is to keep your kid from ever being able to get into trouble by never being able to drive, it’s a great idea!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

It's my understanding that the 944 engine requires a collection of special tools, also.

That guy

6 (edited by TheEngineer 2018-10-03 06:30 PM)

DirtyDuc wrote:

It's my understanding that the 944 engine requires a collection of special tools, also.

Some. There's some weird tools that can be acquired easily like triple square bits. And then there's the timing belt tools which include a dial indicator and purpose built brackets and a few sprocket wrenches. That's the biggest one, everything else is normal tools, or at least that's my recollection from tearing down one of those engines like 10 years ago.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I am confused, your going to give your 16 year old a 2014 big SUV as his car to drive?   
Did you check on the skyrocketing cost of your insurance rate?   
Half of all 16 yr olds get in an accident (not neccessarily serious, but accident none-the-less)  a big suv will mean he will do damage to someone/something else too.  I'd rethink this plan.

Regarding the 944, I'd rethink that one too, I've had two now, second one was free just for parts, they are difficult/time consuming to work on,
so not good choice for Lemons racing.   And not very fast either.

I recently acquired a Triumph GT6, and there is a car super easy to work on.

Or find a C4 vette cheap needing some attention, probably not too hard to find in TX.

My 2 cents.

Terrible idea....perfect for Lemons. Do it, take lots of pictures.,

Team Safety 3rd Racing.
1985 Dodge Daytona Turbo-currently being lemonized.
https://www.facebook.com/TeamSafety3rdRacing/

Nimble,

The Terrain is about the size of a Malibu, just more roomy.  As far as insurance, we were (were being the key word) with Allstate who told us that our insurance would jump up to $930 a month, yes, that's right, just to add him on the policy with my Terrain and my wife's Trax.  I shopped around and Geico came in at $442 a month, same coverage.

I am still thinking about it, a couple of years gives me time to find a suitable LS to swap in there.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

FWIW, Allstate only 2 weeks ago paid me the remainder of the repair balance owed from an accident that happened in February when their insured crashed into my legally parked car.  I'd like to drop a deuce into those good hands.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Ok, if I decide to do this, what are things I need to go ahead and repair or replace.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

LOL

cheseroo wrote:

I'd like to drop a deuce into those good hands.

10x loser (Arse-Freeze '11 - Vodden '15) 1x WINNER! Arse-Freeze '14 in the Watermelon Volvo Wagon
Swedish Knievel Skycycle('90 Volvo 740 Wagon)

moose72 wrote:

Ok, if I decide to do this, what are things I need to go ahead and repair or replace.

Well, the engine, the Differ-Trans-ential, Porsche logos.

Really just make it a 2nd gen RX7 with a miata swap.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

14 (edited by Zoo944 2018-11-06 11:17 AM)

moose72 wrote:

The non-start is likely the DME relay.  It could also be the reference sensors, you can check this by cranking it, and if the tach doesn't bounce it is the reference sensors. If the car has no fuel and no spark it is the DME relay.  This is pretty cheap and you should buy an extra and throw it in the glovebox if its a street car.  I would do a timing belt as a matter of course on any new to you 944 unless it has records of a recent timing belt job.  Its cheap insurance against piston+valve collisions.  The belts are pretty cheap, and you will need a timing belt tool to set timing.  Arnnworx is reputably the only non-Porsche tool worth using, and it's far cheaper than the OEM tool.  I would get their maxi kit and have a flywheel lock and a couple other 944 essentials on hand:

http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/index.p … -HYeHpKjyk

944s are not winning any drag races, but they are an absolute blast to drive especially on the track. You will want to get the manual transmission swapped in and ditch the auto.  While the manual is out you should look for a short 5th gear if it doesn't already have it.  It will make a tremendous difference on the track. These cars are not as hard to work on as people say, but they are time-consuming to work on. They are reliable once sorted.

Zoo Racing #950 zebra 944.  Org Choice Thunderhill 2018