Re: Let's Rescue the K-Car.

The Facebook thread is here:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/403343036 … 1504424296

Randy Clark is the guy who has the car now, you can find him in the comments. If you're not on FB, message me and I'll send you his email address.

27 (edited by nimblemotorsports 2018-10-04 05:19 PM)

I proposed we restore this car to racing condition for the Sac Car Show Lemons exhibit, still think that is a good idea,
but someone needs to get it to sacramento.   

A v8 rwd swap is too much of not-a-k-car anymore, so my opinion would keep it fwd, but maybe not a dodge drivetrain?

However, her is a 40k mile k-car that they say still runs good, just swap the drivetrain...
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d … 51422.html

OR what about a dodge stealth drivetrain?  Will that work/fit?

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d … 34516.html

Oh wait, wtf was I thinking, of course, a Viper drivetrain swap, I hear HQ will be claiming one soon...   lol

It already has the SOHC 3.0L Mitsubishi drivetrain out of a late Dodge Daytona. The DOHC Dodge Stealth engine would bolt right in (assuming the transmission in the K Car isn't shithoused).

But all of this is moot. Its builders have plans and they want it back. They've already been talking to HQ. We just need to activate the Lemons Relay Service. I think things may already be moving...

Got eyes out for a lebaron to replace engine and ecu harness. Sadly ones by me are in too “good” a shape and they are $1500.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

SpaceFrank wrote:

But all of this is moot. Its builders have plans and they want it back. They've already been talking to HQ. We just need to activate the Lemons Relay Service. I think things may already be moving...

You mean it isn't K-It-forward, but now it is  K-It-Backward?  wink

31 (edited by Guildenstern 2018-10-04 10:51 PM)

Looks like 2001 - 2005 Eclipse has the best chance of getting a 5 speed and the 6G7

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Guildenstern wrote:

Got eyes out for a lebaron to replace engine and ecu harness. Sadly ones by me are in too “good” a shape and they are $1500.

Hypothetically, if there was a running, driving LeBaron - with the turbo engine - available for sale *near me [SE PA]*, would that be of interest to the project?

Well, I’m not the one who has to race it. So yes it could.

cheseroo wrote:
SpaceFrank wrote:
mechimike wrote:

I still say the only way this car will achieve true glory is if somebody installs a 318 mopar in it and makes it RWD.  As Iacocca intended.

This is actually exactly what Bob Mitchell wants to do. He confirmed NSF will take it. Sasha says he'll bring it down to Florida if someone brings it to the DC area.

IIRC based on the professionalism/workmanship on display in the previous K modifications, HQ was reluctant to approve a V8/RWD swap in that car.  The last time I saw it, it scooted along pretty good with the v6.  Why not just figure out how to make the V6 last?

Because Chrysler themselves couldn't figure it out?

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Hypothetically, if there was a running, driving LeBaron - with the turbo engine - available for sale *near me [SE PA]*, would that be of interest to the project?

The vehicle I heard about is no longer available, sorry for the detour..

FWIW, I'm out of kokomo IN, about an hour north of Indy and am planning on driving to the South Carolina race in November. If somebody doesn't mind renting me a tow dolly near the current location, I could tow it there. I would bring my trailer, but I really don't want to deadhead it back home. I am also most likely going to do the Barber race, and may be willing to do the same that time, although babe doesn't much like the snow that is more likely in February.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

EyeMWing seems pretty set on driving in in the Escape From Moscow Rally. So much so he's already shopping donor cars. If those plans go Lemon shaped you may be the K's plan B. Either way it needs to be back at Barber for the race so Bob can grab it.

Someone has actually talked to Bob right?

Guildenstern wrote:

EyeMWing seems pretty set on driving in in the Escape From Moscow Rally. So much so he's already shopping donor cars. If those plans go Lemon shaped you may be the K's plan B. Either way it needs to be back at Barber for the race so Bob can grab it.

That may be a little difficult. From what I recall, all of the wiring was removed from the car.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Saves a step at this point.

41 (edited by SpaceFrank 2018-10-06 08:20 AM)

NSF Bob said that he'll take it on the FB thread, and Sasha (Alex) volunteered to bring it to NSF from DC. I think he could be talked into bringing it home from Barber or CMP, but I don't know if he's specifically said yes to that. (I realize some of you are not on FB.)

I've been hunting engines on Craigslist, but the pickings are pretty slim. Most of my searches turn up JDM engine sales. There is a guy outside Louisville parting out "dozens" of 3000GTs and Stealths, but I haven't called him to see how much he wants for a DOHC 6G72. Not sure what would be required to swap in a DOHC engine since the K has always had a SOHC. Previous engines have come from early 90s Daytonas and Dynasties.

Edit: Alex just confirmed that he can bring the car from Barber to NSF.

As Maverick74 said, it looks like there may have been wholesale removal of the cars wireing. If thats the case a full donor car would be needed because I certainly don’t have 90s chrysler connectors on me.

I’ll know more when I get it, but odds are it’s in a less ready state than it was when it left califonia 4 years ago.

Also still trying to track down if the title ever got transfered. Sofar no dice.

Alex is the one who registered it in Maryland back in 2013. I would expect either he or NSF Bob know where the title is. Unless it got transferred to Chris O when it was in California?

There was word it got written up, but no confimation it ever got actially done.

Regarding the current state of the car, the current "owner" posted this on the Facebook post I made:

"The cage needs updating to current specs. The seat needs properly mounted (it was bolted directly to the floor with the back straight up and down. I couldn't sit in it for 5 minutes). There is no wiring in the car at all. I am a heavy equipment mechanic for a living and no way was that's rat nest staying in. Gas tank, windshield and possibly trans bellhousing broken. Front engine mount is wasted. Engine gone. That's off the top of my head."

The trans bellhousing might be fine, though; he sent me this image when I asked him about it back in March:

https://i.imgur.com/wpAgxjh.jpg

Great, so he took out ALL the wiring, So definitely a donor K derived car situation. 5 Speed Shadow probably would be the best shot for as previously raced condition, or lebaron/minivan with a slush box. I can't magically recreate the partner to molded into the case connector sockets.

I'll go collect it either way. If it turns out to be too much for EyeMWing we'll huck it to Sasha and he can get it to Bob. DC vs Moscow, PA is a trivial difference in tow which Justin and I are already committed to. And Bob will be doing a full crazy conversion on it so either way he ends up with a car he has to tear down to the gunwales.

But I'd prefer to see it on the rally if everything can come together.

K-'thulu will awaken again!

Now that this thread has served its purpose, it should probably be moved to the K-car section. I only started it here so it would get more views.