Topic: Buttonwillow Crashes, Passes, and Asses (Post Videos Here)

https://youtu.be/U2OlDsePvGw

Multiple times loser at Buttonwillow, Thunderhill, Sears Point, Chuckwalla, Inde, MSR Houston, Texas Speedway, and Laguna Seca
"C" Class Winner at The Ridge 2014.
RIP 2001 Saturn SL2 - "The Pigeon Coupe". Now featuring a 1990 Mercedes 190e #140.

Re: Buttonwillow Crashes, Passes, and Asses (Post Videos Here)

Hahaha love the fist pump

Here's our driver attempting a pass in Riverside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUSANq5uOMs

Takata R&D :: 1993 Accord - team captain - rear drum brakes lol
GoPro 360 Heros :: BMW E28  - co-captain

3 (edited by chdonley2 2018-10-03 03:51 PM)

Driver of car 52 claims it was my fault. I hit him.  wants me to pay him $500 for damage to his MR2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxFYOa9 … e=youtu.be

M45 Racing,
#45 '08 Subaru WRX,Winner class A The Ridge, 2022
#4  '63 Studebaker Avanti, IOE, The Ridge 2016
#19 '90 Thunderbird Super Coupe(retired) Organizers Choice Award, Sears 2015

chdonley2 wrote:

Driver of car 52 claims it was my fault. I hit him.  wants me to pay him $500 for damage to his MR2.
youtube.com/watch?v=bxFYOa93cYY

Had almost the same thing happen to me except the car ahead of me spun in a BLIND corner.  I came around the corner and he was sideways right in front of me.  Not enough time to react, I hit him, causing minor damage, but he still wanted me to fix it.  WTF?

In your case, the guy is clearly loose as seen in the start of the video.  Couple that with trail-braking a mid-engine car, with a short wheel base, and he spins right in front of you.  I don't see where you did anything wrong.  The driver in the E30 on your  making it 4-wide at one point however seemed to be pushing his luck.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Aventari: I think your passing attempt was kosher. The car being passed was not going fast enough to require as big a radius as he took. It was reasonable for you to assume he would take the smallest radius his speed required (which is what a racer would do).

I certify that you were innocent.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

chdonley2 wrote:

LOL!

I hope you told him to GTFO of here with that bullshit.

Even if you had blatantly punted him into the next county (you didn't, it was totally the MR2's fault), we all enter the track knowing the risks. If you can't crumple up your race car and throw it into the garbage can at the end of a race weekend, you've got no business racing it. These cars are made from disposable income, and some people have more than others. Anyone who comes up to me DEMANDING that I pay for damages will politely be told to go fuck themselves. If they ask me a second time, I won't be as polite.

Now, with that said... if I truly did something stupid, I would do everything in my power to made a bad situation better by helping out the other team with whatever I have available. Sometimes it's replacement parts, sometimes it's a helping hand, sometimes (almost always) it's beer, and sometimes it's cash.

But from what I saw in the video, there was nothing blatant or intentional with the contact I saw. The MR2 simply overcooked the entrance and collected you in its spin.

The Pentastar whisperer

aventari wrote:

Hahaha love the fist pump

Here's our driver attempting a pass in Riverside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUSANq5uOMs

In some fairness to the Accord it should be pointed out that the video doesn't really reflect how hard it was to see into that corner coming out of the bus stop at that time in the afternoon looking straight at the sun.  Don't know them, don't believe I've ever met them and not excusing them but it might help to explain how it happened.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Yeah I don't really think it was anyone's fault. Just bad luck all around.

My driver assumed he would easily be able to get around, and the inside Accord was taking his line and just missed us.

Personally (especially in that area of the track) I *never* pass on the outside or inside unless I'm 100% sure the other car knows I'm there and will give me room. The variance in other drivers' skill levels and awareness is too just too great. I try to tell my drivers that too, but it's just something that comes with experience. And OTOH I try to be well aware of faster cars behind me that may attempt something and always leave enough grip that I can correct if needs be.

Takata R&D :: 1993 Accord - team captain - rear drum brakes lol
GoPro 360 Heros :: BMW E28  - co-captain

Bayley wrote:
chdonley2 wrote:

LOL!

I hope you told him to GTFO of here with that bullshit.

Even if you had blatantly punted him into the next county (you didn't, it was totally the MR2's fault), we all enter the track knowing the risks. If you can't crumple up your race car and throw it into the garbage can at the end of a race weekend, you've got no business racing it. These cars are made from disposable income, and some people have more than others. Anyone who comes up to me DEMANDING that I pay for damages will politely be told to go fuck themselves. If they ask me a second time, I won't be as polite.

Now, with that said... if I truly did something stupid, I would do everything in my power to made a bad situation better by helping out the other team with whatever I have available. Sometimes it's replacement parts, sometimes it's a helping hand, sometimes (almost always) it's beer, and sometimes it's cash.

But from what I saw in the video, there was nothing blatant or intentional with the contact I saw. The MR2 simply overcooked the entrance and collected you in its spin.

I concur with this message.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

aventari wrote:

Yeah I don't really think it was anyone's fault. Just bad luck all around.

My driver assumed he would easily be able to get around, and the inside Accord was taking his line and just missed us.

Personally (especially in that area of the track) I *never* pass on the outside or inside unless I'm 100% sure the other car knows I'm there and will give me room. The variance in other drivers' skill levels and awareness is too just too great. I try to tell my drivers that too, but it's just something that comes with experience. And OTOH I try to be well aware of faster cars behind me that may attempt something and always leave enough grip that I can correct if needs be.

The other Accord is mine and though Kevin's driver did apologize, I do not blame them.  Visibility is terrible there in the late afternoon.  Our driver didn't realize they were coming along side there (he could have checked his blindspot before moving wide like that).  Their driver tried a risky pass. There is fault to share.  I've been too busy to process any of my video, but I'll post our view of the same crash when I can.  It involves an apocalyptic quantity of airborne dirt.  Our only damage was cosmetic.  Team Takata sweated for 5 hours fixing their rear suspension, lost the last half hour on track Saturday, and went from 14th overall to near 30th.  I think we dropped from 55th to 65th or something.  So they got the worst end of the deal by far.  No hard feelings and certainly no one is demanding that the other pay $500 for damage.

chdonley2 wrote:

Surely he was joking?

I got punted into a spinning top at the very top of Phil Hill just when the rear end was at it's lightest point by a driver who overcooked it and missed his braking point. I was annoyed he waited 'til the end of the day to come apologize but I wouldn't have even imagined I was due one red penny for that. This is racing and that was bad luck.

Unfortunately our GoPro was aimed at the driver for this incident so you only get a cloud of dust in the cockpit on video, but once the GoPro owner uploads it, I'll share here.

chdonley2 wrote:

Ahh yeah, classic snap oversteer, that's why Toyota had to stop selling decent cars. And I agree with 52, it was your fault, literally everyone else knows that MR2's can't go around a corner without spinning out. You should have planned for that. We won a race once because everyone was so scared to go out on track with us they all stayed in the paddock.

$500 seems very reasonable, I mean it's a mid-engine car, it's basically a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

chuckgm3 wrote:
chdonley2 wrote:

Surely he was joking?

He was serious. I politely declined. He went on a wacko rant so I just hung up.

M45 Racing,
#45 '08 Subaru WRX,Winner class A The Ridge, 2022
#4  '63 Studebaker Avanti, IOE, The Ridge 2016
#19 '90 Thunderbird Super Coupe(retired) Organizers Choice Award, Sears 2015

You did the right thing. If $500 of damage is too mich for him, he’s not ready to get on the track again.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

15 (edited by DirtyDuc 2018-10-03 05:41 PM)

I need to apologise to a couple of teams we had contact with this past weekend. I pointed the grey ranger by going into Phil Hill and didn't leave it enough room... Sorry.

Somebody's were passing my dad vicinity club corner late Saturday... Mistakes were made, and one of those somebody's encountered our left front in a mildly crunchy way. Sorry if you incurred damage or penalty!

Stinky slow Porsche.

That guy

The MR2 dude is way off base.

Anyone see who drifted wide at the exit of Riverside on Sunday afternoon, spinning out S10 truck #808? Jesse Cortez was driving at the time and can't recall which one of you apes tagged him.

17 (edited by stupenduzzman 2018-10-03 06:57 PM)

DirtyDuc wrote:

I need to apologise to a couple of teams we had contact with this past weekend. I pointed the grey ranger by going into Phil Hill and didn't leave it enough room... Sorry.

Somebody's were passing my dad vicinity club corner late Saturday... Mistakes were made, and one of those somebody's encountered our left front in a mildly crunchy way. Sorry if you incurred damage or penalty!

Stinky slow Porsche.

That was us in the #920 Miata. I have video of it, just haven't gotten around to posting it. No worries about the crash - it happens. We got lucky and the front of our bumper took nearly all the damage. The fender was mildly pushed in too so we pulled that out and we were on our way again.

5 time winner, many time loser
#920 Risky Whiskey Racing
www.facebook.com/RiskyWhiskeyRacing

stupenduzzman wrote:
DirtyDuc wrote:

Stinky slow Porsche.

That was us in the #920 Miata. I have video of it, just haven't gotten around to posting it. No worries about the crash - it happens. We got lucky and the front of our bumper took nearly all the damage. The fender was mildly pushed in too so we pulled that out and we were on our way again.

I'm interested in seeing that video.

No worries from our side. We made a record number of party fouls this weekend.

That guy

chuckgm3 wrote:
chdonley2 wrote:

Surely he was joking?

I got punted into a spinning top at the very top of Phil Hill just when the rear end was at it's lightest point by a driver who overcooked it and missed his braking point. I was annoyed he waited 'til the end of the day to come apologize but I wouldn't have even imagined I was due one red penny for that. This is racing and that was bad luck.

Unfortunately our GoPro was aimed at the driver for this incident so you only get a cloud of dust in the cockpit on video, but once the GoPro owner uploads it, I'll share here.

You have to write at least 2 posts to submit links... ok...

chuckgm3 wrote:
chuckgm3 wrote:
chdonley2 wrote:

Surely he was joking?

You have to write at least 2 posts to submit links... ok...

https://youtu.be/3vDpPL_wS0A