Topic: Miata cage, just checking

Hi,

Looking to have a cage installed in our Miata for Lemons.  Saw this cage http:// miatacage.com/ roll-cage-kit (spaces added as I can't post a link) and it has a "Lemons" version.  Assuming it is installed by a professional cage-guy are there any issues with it any of you can see?  The cage-guy I'll be using thought I might save a few bucks if I bought a pre-sized cage and had him install it (he usually does rally cages so a pre-cut cage could save a lot of fitting time). 

I went back a whole bunch of pages here and didn't see anything about it.  Sorry if this is a common question.

Thanks!

max

Re: Miata cage, just checking

I'm not an authority other than having just finished welding my own cage kit in a different car, which passed

that cage design looks pretty nice.  I like the custom front spreaders.  the rear down tube spreaders look undersized but I bet they know Lemons rules and you'd 24 square inch versions.  Headroom is tricky on a car that small but they put that bent diagonal in so maybe that's how they addressed that

you're probably aware that their kit costs a fair bit more than competing cage kits, but if it saves your installer time and you like the details, maybe it's worth it

I would ask the seller for pictures of a passing Lemons install, and how many Lemons installs they've had pass tech previously

OK, one thing to check, the main hoop diagonal lands very far inboard.  It looks like they felt constrained by where it would cross the seatbelt bar bump.  This isn't addressed directly in the rules.  Looks ok to me but I'd get an official opinion on that, at least.

I bought a cage that is very similar to that as a kit from roll cage components for about 500 dollars less if I remember correctly

Thanks for the feedback!  I'm reaching out to the cage place.

I'm going with a custom cage from the rally guy.  Thanks again!

Make sure you print out the "how not to fail tech" guidelines for him.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Cage is done!  The builder did a great job! 

If you're in the Denver area and you need a cage you might check out BA Ingenuity LLC.  He did me right!  smile

https://imgur.com/a/NliA2VJ

Max wrote:

Cage is done!  The builder did a great job! 

If you're in the Denver area and you need a cage you might check out BA Ingenuity LLC.  He did me right!  smile

https://imgur.com/a/NliA2VJ

Send more pics to John Pagel.  I am pretty sure you are missing the rear diagonal and the build has used a grinder on the tubes.  If that is anything more than wire wheel work, you likely have a problem.  No diagonal, no race for sure (page two of How Not to Fail Tech).

https://24hoursoflemons.com/wp-content/ … 051817.pdf

It has a rear diagonal!  That's just an almost complete picture.  https://imgur.com/a/IEIUptv

Noticed that the harness bar/anti-bow bar is bent  to where it is not tied into the cross bar.  Did you check with John Pagel about that?

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Max wrote:

It has a rear diagonal!  That's just an almost complete picture.  https://imgur.com/a/IEIUptv

A lot more confident now.  As long as the rear down bars land in front of the back of the wheels, you are very likely to pass tech.  The "grinding" on the tubes is likely clean-up with a flap disc (still technically not OK) so less likely to get heat on that.  If the diagonal not touching the harness bar gets you grief, tying it into the rest of the cage at the track is a relatively quick fix.

moose72 wrote:

Noticed that the harness bar/anti-bow bar is bent  to where it is not tied into the cross bar.  Did you check with John Pagel about that?

Lots of people run harness bars like that, they are perfectly fine.

That said, when you go to install your harness, you'll need something to clamp on the harness bar to keep the shoulder belt slipping onto the bent portion. They sell specific harness clamps, or you can go as simple as an exhaust u bolt. Anythign that keeps the wrapped harness in place.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Thanks again for the feedback. 

The cage builder mentioned the potential for harness slippage.  The seat is going to essentially touch the harness bar so it "shouldn't" be able to slip as the harness holes "should" hold it in place.  That said, we'll take mitigating steps if we find any slipping when we are track testing the car over the winter. 

I'll be emailing John Pagel about one part of the cage - where the rear bars are welded down.  The cage builder pointed out that to avoid the fuel filler neck he had to weld the rear bars a hair further back than is allowed.  He found pics of other Lemons Miatas with the same cage designs so was confident it would pass tech.  I'm sure it'll be fine but I'm a nervous person so will verify with John soon.

You likely won't notice the harness slipping on normal use. It's on weird crash scenarios that you're most at risk. your bar doesn't have too drastic of a bend, so the risk is low, but always better to be safe. A simple clamp is cheap and fast.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Ah, that makes sense.  At this point with what the cage cost another ~$25 ain't gonna break the bank.