Topic: Seatback brace.

Hello I have a thubderbird with a kirksey seat in it. With the seat all the way forward  I  have just under 6" between the seat and the seat belt bar. I have around 4" between the seat and the diagonal. am I  good on not running a seat back brace? And where is the correct place to measure that distance.  Thanks.

Owner/Captain of The 27 Club E46. Phoenix, AZ
and now the #95 Thunderbird

Re: Seatback brace.

3.F.1.c Seats Without Seatback Braces. If a seatback brace is not used, a strong, seat-width element such as a shoulder-harness bar must be located within six inches of the seatback to prevent the seat from failing rearward.

I'd measure from the harness bar. If it's one of those floppy dirt track style Kirkey's, I'd run one regardless.

You basically have to run one with a Kirkey aluminum seat. They are not nearly siff enough, they will hit you with either of the following rules

3.F.1.e Seat and Headrest Strength. All seats must be strong enough to withstand major impacts from any angle. The headrest area must be strong enough not to bend in a heavy rear impact.

Or

" All seatbacks must be restrained against rearward failure." from 3.F.1.A

I would for sure put on in.  They are very easy to make, just look online for some ideas.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

^  Not true about Kirkey.  Their cheapest drag race/circle track seat should be braced.  Their road race, full containment and above seats are much stronger and I've never been required to run additional bracing.  I bought my Kirkey type 47s based on Pagels recommendation.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)