Re: MSR Houston Full 24, Who's going?

Pistola Alto planning to fill-in the background scenery, per usual.  Transport pending, of course!  If anyone has trailer space for a Nissan 300ZX to and/or from California (ish, can meet), please email me!  paid gig.  wesleybrandon@gmail.com

cpchampion wrote:
jteasers wrote:

I've read both. as of now we're running a new pair of oem halogen headligh assemblies with some high quality headlights, and looking at fog lights for cornering lights. I keep eyeing the ones on my wifes mdx and trying to decide if she will notice them missing or not......

I'll probably end up with some hellas though.

Part of me wants more, but this is a new build and I'm already in the doghouse with the wife for how much my $500 car is costing.

Well if you keep the MDX fogs intact and put them back at the end, they don't cost anything, do they?

Genius! and then there's the flood lights in the back yard, and her makeup mirror, and the christmas lights.......

28 (edited by Little Buckaroo 2018-10-28 07:11 PM)

Team  Buckaroo will be there!.... See ya all there.

g

Organizer's Choice Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 08', DNF Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 09'
Ugly Class 3 Winner Houston Gator-o-Rama  10', Ugly Class 3 Winner BFE Colorado 10', Ugly Class 3 Winner Texas World Speedway 12, We got Screwed Winner ECR 14', Barely Finished MSR 14' took a few years off but trying like hell for IOE in 2017!

29 (edited by SpaceFrank 2018-11-01 04:07 PM)

One week out. The Dart still doesn't have an engine installed, and the new car still needs to move under its own power plus a few more things to pass tech.

But forget all that shit. The important question is what is everybody bringing to the Friday night potluck?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … sp=sharing

Cage almost done.

Big box of parts arrived from Rock Auto today. I hope the clutch kit I ordered is in there...

Plan is to depart SoCal on Wednesday night...

Spank wrote:

Cage almost done.

Big box of parts arrived from Rock Auto today. I hope the clutch kit I ordered is in there...

What time are you heading out? We will be leaving Phoenix around 6:30pm Wednesday picking up a team mate in "Benson" where ever that is. We will be in the white sprinter rape van towing 27.

Owner/Captain of The 27 Club E46. Phoenix, AZ
and now the #95 Thunderbird

Sexy jesus wrote:
Spank wrote:

Cage almost done.

What time are you heading out? We will be leaving Phoenix around 6:30pm Wednesday picking up a team mate in "Benson" where ever that is. We will be in the white sprinter rape van towing 27.

I have never seen Spank leave on time, so Wednesday night probably means Thursday morning between 1 and 3 am.  If he has a co-driver, he will probably be welding along the way.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

I'll bring a crockpot of Chili.

Team Safety 3rd Racing.
1985 Dodge Daytona Turbo-currently being lemonized.
https://www.facebook.com/TeamSafety3rdRacing/

Spank come find me if you need welding help, I think our team is settled until race day... love to help on a spank project...

Organizer's Choice Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 08', DNF Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 09'
Ugly Class 3 Winner Houston Gator-o-Rama  10', Ugly Class 3 Winner BFE Colorado 10', Ugly Class 3 Winner Texas World Speedway 12, We got Screwed Winner ECR 14', Barely Finished MSR 14' took a few years off but trying like hell for IOE in 2017!

Team "Spin It to Win It" Will be there with the 111 MR2. Its actually a new car with better cage. Looking forward to it

Jason
Car #111
91 Toyota MR2

I haven't heard a damn thing from the documentary people, so the film screening may not be happening. We're still having a black tie party on Friday night though, just because we want to. I plan to have at least one dirty martini in between all the last minute shit that'll be required to get this new car to pass tech.

How black tie is this black tie?

this is our first and were just trying to figure all this out.

jteasers wrote:

How black tie is this black tie?

this is our first and were just trying to figure all this out.

We ain't too fancy......Think $4 thrift store blazer....
Or a tie made out of duct tape....... big_smile

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

PREPARE YOUR WURSTS

PARSH IS COMING

(tomorrow)

Well, the black tie/potluck fell through. I'm not sure if anyone else did anything, but EVR was still busy finishing Olds prep Friday night and I didn't notice anyone over in the penalty box area. The documentary folks emailed us a few days before the race saying the film wasn't ready due to a couple editors getting sick, but maybe we'll see it in the future.

Anyway, the race was awesome for us. The Resistance surprised the hell out of us with their Soviet space program-themed 1963 Dart, which they'd been working on in secret for a year and a half. It's hard to adequately describe my feelings about this build: honored, humbled, touched? Anyway, those guys are awesome and we love their shit. The Lemons judges put us back in Class C with 20 penalty laps so we could race head to head, and although our car had a few issues we still managed to beat the commies to the Moon again. The Resistance even made a trophy out of slant six and Dart parts, which we "get" to keep!

The 1941 Oldsmobile caused just as big of a splash as we expected, although the car was only about 90% ready when we got to the track on Friday. Luckily our crew (including a few IoE all-stars from California) had no problem getting the build over the finish line. We got our final tech inspection done Saturday morning, and the car hit the track about an hour after the green flag dropped. What we didn't expect was how well the car continued to run all weekend. We had a couple small issues to deal with over the course of the race, but everything important stayed together. This was extra surprising considering how horribly the car handled itself. It wallowed like a boat even going in a straight line, the transmission liked to shift randomly in both directions depending on directional loading, and while the non-self-adjusting drum brakes were inadequate at best, the rear axle would still unwind and start bouncing a rear tire like a basketball if you hit the pedal too hard. It was a great exercise in smooth control inputs. Utterly terrifying, but also hilarious; I was laughing my ass off the whole time. The fact that the engine and transmission worked long enough to drive the car onto the trailer Sunday afternoon, and that the rear suspension is still attached to the car in any way, are a bit mind-boggling. The old saying that "GM vehicles run like shit longer than most cars run at all" seems to be in full effect here. Our "stretch goal" was to make 98 laps (the same as the model number of the car), but we made 255 with a best lap time of 2:49.672 according to MyLaps. (Anton was hooning the shit out it for the last couple hours.)

All in all, it was a great weekend that only would've been better with more sleep and more time to hang out with friends. Now that this race is behind us, I am definitely looking forward to the next standard 14.5 hour we do...

41 (edited by ninjacoco 2018-11-15 08:41 PM)

Maaaaaan, I'd love to just like, take the 98 around the block or something. That car rules so hard.

I kinda figured the potluck wasn't happening, so I drank the beer anyway...except the apartment beer I was hoping other people would drink. Drat!!!

Yeah, we didn't make the potluck either, also busy trying to make a car work that didn't want to work. Probably a common problem, lol.

That Olds was pretty awesome though. I think my favorite part, besides that rear wheel trying to make high-jump records, was those lights behind the grill. It just looked pretty epic.