Topic: Car choice - 1999 v6 camaro?

Hello All,

Looking for some advice on a car for a first time team. 

we found a 1999 v6 camaro for sale for 1,000 in good working order, as far as the drivetrain, goes.

Does anyone know if the v6 is a good reliable engine? I don't care about speed just want the car to finish.

any advice is appreciated

thanks!

Re: Car choice - 1999 v6 camaro?

That should be a 3800. If so, good engine. Others can comment on the rest of the car. Cage may be tight to get in.

That being said, I would recommend you look for a previously raced Lemons car. Will get you on track faster and is typically a very good value. Usually comes with most of the bugs worked out and lots of spares.

I race a 00 Firebird 3.8 out of NJ.  Not sure where you are located.  The cage is tight, and you want to be careful planning that out.  Lots of aftermarket and junkyard parts which is great.  Paid $300 for mine, but owned by a crystal meth user and the car had a sketchy past.  That being said we are on our 3rd motor in maybe 6 races.  The FWD 3.8 guys have seemed to have better luck than us, we seem to go through bearings quickly.  We also run 2 other cars and so it has been a year since we have last raced it, but we are going to get an accusump before the next time we race it.  Everything is stock and original on ours except we put on a Z28 rear end with limited slip and the sway bars from it too.  The car is a blast to drive, reasonably quick, and B class with no issues.  TBH I love the car, but will be much happier when I figure out the oil issues.  Feel free to reach out to me if you want, if you are local to Philly area even stop by and you can check it out.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

People saying the cage is tight, remeber in Lemons you can just put the cage on the outside. This ain’t showroom stock.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

A 302 Ford swap will solve all of your current problems.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

mechimike wrote:

I was going to suggest turbo 2.3.

I want to do a 5.0 in a Camero.  I even have one of each..

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:
mechimike wrote:

But, but, but what about Rambles?

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

noodles wrote:

Hello All,

we found a 1999 v6 camaro for sale for 1,000 in good working order, as far as the drivetrain, goes.

Does anyone know if the v6 is a good reliable engine? I don't care about speed just want the car to finish.

thanks!

The 3.8 is a good engine.  Make sure the intake manifold gaskets are not leaking or starting to leak.  Make sure to flush out all the old Dex Cool  sludge and run the larger radiator from one of the V8 cars. 

Is it an automatic??  If so run the biggest trans cooler you can fit onto the thing.   If you pick the car up feel free to let us know.  We have lots of ideas to help.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Yeah, I'm one of the guys who works on a FWD 3800 car (Buick Regal). We're on our 4th? engine in 11 or 12 races now, we're loosing count.  (The fact I had 3 old engines in the garage is a big hint.). Head gasket due to loss of coolant, Spun rod bearing (oiling?), cracked head (possible bad radiator cap contributed to it).   We lost 4th gear in the 4T65E at Loudon last fall, first time we've had an issue with a tranny.  Just swapped in one of the previous trannys this weekend, we typically buy junk cars and just pull and swap the entire drivetrain each time we blow up an engine.

If it has plastic 90 degree elbows coming out of the block, replace them with alum (it may not given its spun 90 degrees versus ours).

Get a used oil pan, hack it up and graft it inside the existing oil pan for more windage protection, and over fill it by at least a quart.

Its a fairly reliable engine for what we do to it, I think we'll be starting our 4th race this weekend on the current engine.  We did spend some time flushing the entire cooling system today, we had some good brown sludge in it from sitting. 

Also something to keep in mind, you're very likely to find parts on shelves of the common auto parts stores for that car...  much less frustrating when you're trying to work on it....

-mike

Unlike Mike, our FWD series 1.5 3800 has been bombproof while the....everything else GM 1990's quality.  Dustbuster has probably 13 races on it and original engine has run all but one day and not because the engine failed.  We did replace the bearings and oil pump after three races when we had 0 oil pressure (indicated) at hot idle.

The 4T60E's, wiring, starter, alternator, wiring, shocks, brakes, wiring, brakes and brakes as stock were terrible (same front brakes as lot of V6 Cameros).  3 trannies in about 6 races until we swapped to a cavalier manual (blew one of those too).

4th Gen Cameros have a fun engine placement for working on it, a complex'ish driveshaft/torque arm arrangement but are otherwise basically a sound car.  Either the teams that drive them or the car sucks in the wet.

cabinboy wrote:
mechimike wrote:

But, but, but what about Rambles?

Albert,

I have a 5.0 and a Camero.  I also have a few turbo 2.3s, with one going to you.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

OnkelUdo wrote:

The 4T60E's, wiring, starter, alternator, wiring, shocks, brakes, wiring, brakes and brakes as stock were terrible (same front brakes as lot of V6 Cameros).  3 trannies in about 6 races until we swapped to a cavalier manual (blew one of those too).

I believe we had upgraded to '99 Camero brakes initially.... we'll be trying out some new brakes this coming weekend....  2010 Camero SS calipers  on some Mustang GT500 rotors....  a gentle touch to take off the high spots on the casting and they fit. Hoping to not need $200 pads anymore (our record for worst (and cheap!!) pads was 3 hours at Loudon.  Took PB blaster to move the car from the post-race parking spot into the trailer from the metal-on-metal friction).  The blue Hawks we had been using aren't available, and nothing else held up for the entire weekend....

OnkelUdo wrote:

I believe we had upgraded to '99 Camero brakes initially.... we'll be trying out some new brakes this coming weekend....  2010 Camero SS calipers  on some Mustang GT500 rotors....  a gentle touch to take off the high spots on the casting and they fit. Hoping to not need $200 pads anymore (our record for worst (and cheap!!) pads was 3 hours at Loudon.  Took PB blaster to move the car from the post-race parking spot into the trailer from the metal-on-metal friction).  The blue Hawks we had been using aren't available, and nothing else held up for the entire weekend....

beaker wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

What vehicle?

beaker wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

We went straight to C5 rotors and callipers on the Dustbuster after melting a few pistons on the stock brakes  The upgrade for a 4th gen Camero is much more simple than on van but the concept is identical...you just make an adaper plate from 3/8" plate and washers.

beaker wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

What vehicle?

2002 Buick Regal.....

noodles wrote:

Hello All,

thanks!

Gllue stick guys run a Gen IV V6.. they seem to do well. If it is non-running I wouldn't pay 1000 for it. You can buy running driving Gen III's for that kind of cash. Welcome to the Firebird nerd Club.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

mechimike wrote:

Our 5.0 runs great in our Gen III... oh but it is a 305 Chevy... see if you can count the 5.0 Furds we pass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpZHzZYXhJQ

"get up and get your grandma outta here"