126 (edited by Tiptoe the rat 2018-08-07 08:00 PM)

Re: Corvette build thread!

And we are done!!!

A few little odds and ends, but the car is done.

http://d.facdn.net/art/tiptoe/1533523461/1533523461.tiptoe_photo_2018-08-05_21-14-51.jpg

Those are 4th Gen Camaro SS wheels, with 245 Azenis tires on them...plus some white testors model car paint,  $20 bucks of Valspar "light gloss" tractor paint, another 20 bucks in vinyl,  and one hell of a talented group of people called Team Sucker Punch!!

I know I know..its WAY TOO PRETTY to be a Lemons car.  But I don't care!  I'm proud of what my team helped me build.   I'm proud of how fast we were able to rebuild after the accident.  Proud that there was not even the slightest idea of quit in any of them.

Yea...I can still hear some of the "$500 my ass" crowd.  But fear not...its STILL got the crossfire, the Doug Nash 4+3, AND the Dana 36.   Atleast it will look good while it lasts!  ;-)

Team Sucker Punch: Syn, Andrew,  Tony, Rich, Nick, Rusty, Lance, and most of all my Dad.  Thank you all so much. 

Also thanks to all the folks at Lemons, the Judges, corner workers, tech people and most of all the other racers.  Everyone was interested in this car, and everyone wanted to know when they could see it.  Well now you have seen it....we are set for the October Gingerman race.  I'll see about a track day before then, but for now "Eddie" is ready to race!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Car looks awesome! nice build.

Team Safety 3rd Racing.
1985 Dodge Daytona Turbo-currently being lemonized.
https://www.facebook.com/TeamSafety3rdRacing/

Wait... people finish cars before the day of a race? Blasphemy!  Here i am racing this weekend and my car still doesn't have a transmission.

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA

Newbie to Lemons!  I have been following your build for quite a while.  Awesome job!  It has finally inspired me to get my build moving forward.

As the owner of a shitty '85 daily driver vette, I'm excited to see this build finished and even more excited to see it on the track.

Speaking of which, I've had cooling issues with mine on the track, believe it or not.  Even with a full aluminum radiator.  Bigger fans helped a bunch, and I think an external oil cooler would solve the rest of the issues.  The little stock donut coolant/oil heat exchanger doesn't really cut it on the track.

Petrosexual Racing - 4.9 HT swap/Trashback Miata
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=35746
BFE GP '18 - 1st in C, High Plains Drifter -19 - 1st in B/Overall
Uh oh, Spaghettios...

Congrats Matt! It looks awesome!!

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Tiptoe the rat wrote:

And we are done!!!

Snip..................... crossfire, the Doug Nash 4+3, AND the Dana 36.   Atleast it will look good while it lasts!  ;-).................................................

Has anyone ever raced this config before?  Asking for a friend, but suspiciously, there is something resembling this growing weeds in my backyard, I am, ummm ......he is thinking about a track day car.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Team Infinniti wrote:
Tiptoe the rat wrote:

And we are done!!!

Snip..................... crossfire, the Doug Nash 4+3, AND the Dana 36.   Atleast it will look good while it lasts!  ;-).................................................

Has anyone ever raced this config before?  Asking for a friend, but suspiciously, there is something resembling this growing weeds in my backyard, I am, ummm ......he is thinking about a track day car.

I have read about people using this in one of those OTHER race series...and the results were not great.

All the C4 corvettes that have raced in Lemons (to my knowledge) were auto cars so...700-R4.   I'm lucky I got the ONLY year were the stick shift comes with the smaller diff!!! 

I'll do a report after its first few races.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015

Isn't the Dana 4+3 just a Super T-10 with a push button OD? We run the Super T-10 and it's terrific. It's mated to an 8.8 rear, but we probably make a bit more power than you.

What failed in the other series? The gearbox or the rear end?

Yes, a super t10 mated to a doug nash semi-auto OD

https://jalopnik.com/the-chevrolet-corv … 1825119474

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Fishah wrote:

Isn't the Dana 4+3 just a Super T-10 with a push button OD? We run the Super T-10 and it's terrific. It's mated to an 8.8 rear, but we probably make a bit more power than you.

What failed in the other series? The gearbox or the rear end?

The gearbox, specifically the overdrive.  I put a BIG cooler from a moving van on our trans to see if I can make it live for us.

The Trans has a pump at the tail that is driven by the output shaft, so it only pumps fluid to the cooler if the car is moving, its a VERY odd setup.

So I took the Corvette for a spin today at a local track, the car ran well but... I have a whining sound coming from the transmission.

It was not THAT loud but I'm wondering if its anything I should monkey with.   Are these old Super T10 trannys loud??

I'm wondering if I'm just hearing it because all the sound deadening is gone and the tranny is basically riding right next to me on the Corvette.

Thoughts??

Tiptoe the rat wrote:

So I took the Corvette for a spin today at a local track, the car ran well but... I have a whining sound coming from the transmission.

It was not THAT loud but I'm wondering if its anything I should monkey with.   Are these old Super T10 trannys loud??

I'm wondering if I'm just hearing it because all the sound deadening is gone and the tranny is basically riding right next to me on the Corvette.

Thoughts??

Any particular gear or speed? Sitting still in neutral? Go Away with the clutch disengaged ?  When in O/D?

Have not driven my beater 84  4+3  in a dozen years but do not remember it making any noise, maybe a little in O/D.

Team Infinniti wrote:
Tiptoe the rat wrote:

Thoughts??

Any particular gear or speed? Sitting still in neutral? Go Away with the clutch disengaged ?  When in O/D?

Have not driven my beater 84  4+3  in a dozen years but do not remember it making any noise, maybe a little in O/D.

It seems to follow MPH in each gear,  it honestly sounds like one of the  Jericho trannys that the stock car guys use.  So part of me is thinking its just how they sound now that all the carpet is gone.

The car was very sick when i drove it home so my ears were not paying attention to the tranny then.

140 (edited by Team Infinniti 2018-09-09 09:13 PM)

Follows MPH, so it would be output shaft speed-ish, I know you said trans, could it be diff? O/D unit?

Anyone else have a idea?

Have you changed the oil?

If it's all glittery, that might indicate a problem. If it's not glittery, is look elsewhere.

That guy

DirtyDuc wrote:

Have you changed the oil?

If it's all glittery, that might indicate a problem. If it's not glittery, is look elsewhere.

Yea I dropped the oil and it was sludgy...but no metal in it.

In fact someone had put a magnet in the trans and it was pretty clean.

Last time I had a transmission noise the diff seized.......
Turns out it's hard to tell where that sound is coming from, might pay to check the diff oil as well.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

My super-t10 is not very noisy. We had it rebuilt and they replaced 2nd gear with a new one, and it whined for a while while it wore in with the rest, but that's about it.

The input shaft bearing on these older BW transmissions can sometimes dry out and rust if they've sat for a long time. I've seen this happen before on a few old T-10s (as well as NV3500s).

Either way; whining is friction, friction causes heat, and heat weakens steel ('but, but, but Jet fuel doesn't get hot enough to melt ste...') The intensity of the noise is a good indication of how much extra heat that metal is experiencing.

I can get you the number of a midwest shop that is taking care of my buddy's Muncie. They've also be know to supply (very cheaty) T-56 parts for other midwest Lemons teams.  ;-)

The Pentastar whisperer

Bayley wrote:

The input shaft bearing on these older BW transmissions can sometimes dry out and rust if they've sat for a long time. I've seen this happen before on a few old T-10s (as well as NV3500s).

Either way; whining is friction, friction causes heat, and heat weakens steel ('but, but, but Jet fuel doesn't get hot enough to melt ste...') The intensity of the noise is a good indication of how much extra heat that metal is experiencing.

I can get you the number of a midwest shop that is taking care of my buddy's Muncie. They've also be know to supply (very cheaty) T-56 parts for other midwest Lemons teams.  ;-)

Yaknow the more I listen to it the more I think THAT is what happened, the thing sat and dried out.  The diff made noise at first as well but it has gotten more and more quiet as the car has been run, I have kept an eye on the temperatures and they seem to be OK. 

ATM the moment I think we are just going to keep an eye and a temp gun on the car during the Friday practice. 

Thanks for all the input and ideas folks.

So how did the vette do? Post race summary?

SlideSideways wrote:

So how did the vette do? Post race summary?

Whoops!  My bad!

The car did amazing!  As did my team and everyone else at Lemons.   It was great to be back!

We ran a bunch of laps on Friday to get the feel for our new racer, the car was a lot more loose then our Camaro, but in general the whole team loved how it ran.  Early on the starter crapped out on us, better now then during the race we figured,  The dipstick also worked its way loose, both were simple repairs.

The car passed safety inspection with flying colors, and we managed to get past BS with no laps in class A,  which is what I hoped for/expected.

The car ran like a song all day long on Saturday.  Again as expected the small gas tank combined with the large engine meant we had to make a lot more pit stops then the leaders in class A, and it also meant we got outran by some of the other cars with longer stints.   Which is fine, this was just to see how the car would do. 

Saturday night one a few of the other drivers stopped by and told us that our brake lights had quit.  Thankfully the local parts store had the switch we needed (thanks GM!)  We checked the car over and found that one of our front wheel bearings was toast.  Thankfully I was told this was typical for Corvettes of this era so I had a spare with.  Other then that, the car did amazing, both the tires and the brakes were in great shape, we finished the whole weekend on them this is the FIRST car I have owned that can do that.  All of the others would have needed pads and tires between days ir more!

Sadly Sunday is were we kinda messed up.  The car still ran great but  ALL my drivers managed to spin the car out and thus get black flag penalties.  I was the only one that managed to keep the car pointed straight Sunday.  It was to the point were Judge Erik was asking if it was the same team that was driving the car Saturday!!  Despite those setbacks we managed to come home in 28th place out of 105 cars.  A great result for a first race on an untested lemon.

So thats all for now, the plans to make the car better include adding some more roll cage height (more bars for more margin of safety).  Getting the handling better on the car with more tire out back, MAYBE a wing or something as well.  We will see.  The team is super pumped about getting to race the car next year and we have all winter to get it dialed in for 2019.

So far Brainard is a go for us....we will see what other races we do as everyone else figures it out. 

Thanks to ALL the people that stopped by to check out our new ride, compliment and otherwise welcome us back.

Matt

https://photos.smugmug.com/2018-24-Hours-of-Lemons-Gingerman/i-Cj89KLq/0/d5db757a/XL/_DSC2371-XL.jpg

Congrats on the good showing, glad to see the car is working well!  Looks great too.

Looks great!
I checked it out in the pits. I have a 1990 and wanted to see how you fit a driver and a rollcage in there!
They are very tight cars

MBTL Racing