Topic: Gingerman by the numbers

A couple of quick thoughts, and our weekend by the numbers.

A Quart Low remain our heroes for being the team that talked us into taking the chance in 2016 to field a car. We went to the April 2016 race when they first showed up with a bunch of clueless guys (I mean that as a compliment) and a boring black Del Sol. We talked their ear off all weekend and they challenged us to just go for it and enter the October race. When we showed up for the 10th Anniversary race with our Lincoln, we couldn't help but be in awe of the Calvin and Hobbes themed little red wagon. Amazing. Wrongly, I assumed they could never top that, until they brought Oreo Speedwagon and mic dropped the whole field this year. Well done, guys! You remain our inspiration and possibly the best group of guys to ever "get" Lemons.

Save the Ta Tas had the inglorious responsibility of paddocking next to us in October 2016 for our first race. They gave us counsel, tools, tips and stares all weekend. They welcomed us into the Lemons fold that weekend. Even though they were and remain immeasurably faster than us, they never looked down on us, our efforts or our racing. When given the opportunity to run and move somewhere else on Thursday this year, they didn't budge and accepted us next to them in the paddock again. They are a great team and we are forever grateful for their support and encouragement.

For both races, we intended on a four person team, but both times only three of us made it to the track and into the car. A three man team has some unique challenges, but we've been fortunate to have a reliable car that hasn't allowed us to exceed our very very limited racing skills. It was an incredible honor to win IOE last weekend. I was in complete shock when they made the announcement and all three of us are grateful for the recognition. If we can pull that off, anyone can pull it off. Believe in the Lemons spirit, drive it like you rented it instead of like you stole it, and try to get out of the way of the faster drivers. That was our plan and apparently it succeeded.

To the judges, and to Jay - thank you for creating this community. We are forever grateful for having the opportunity to join it and to have met and enjoyed so many like-minded people.

Now, for the numbers

414 because Abe Lincoln was shot on the evening of April 14th, although history tells us he actually died the next morning.
3 team members/drivers
56 average age of the team/drivers
74 age of our oldest teammate/driver
3800 pounds (approx) racing weight
2:09.9 our fastest lap
85 gallons of 93 octane fuel used
14 hours completed
290 laps completed
0 black flags (one in the first race)
7 pitstops
280 horsepower
32 valves
8 cylinders
4 speed automatic
400 treadwear tires
225/60/16 tire size
$55 per tire shipped from Amazon (Sumic GTs if you want your own)
$110 our per-race tire cost (we've run the same 4 Sumics for both races)
2 quarts of oil consumed/burned/leaked over the weekend
26 height of top-hat in inches
1 score and 4 years ago manufacture date

IOE Fall Gingerman 2018 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Re: Gingerman by the numbers

Love your car, you guys are awesome. Our MR2 was less awesome this weekend, we average 0-1 failure per weekend, had 3 this weekend. We haven't done a Gingerman practice day since our first race in 2014, but this weekend we happened to have a newbie so we did it.

Friday during practice on lap 2, 5th gear shift fork bolt fell out sticking the trans in 5th gear. Fixed, went out for an hour at the end of the day. Thanks Newbie, we would have busted that on the 2nd lap of the race if it weren't for you.
Saturday about 4 hours in shifter cable breaks, driver pulls off, S-Coupé makes wild move causing mess. We have a shot of it in our rear view mirror we need to put on the youtubes. We permanently stick the car in 4th gear and push it to the track entrance.
Sunday we jerry rig 3rd, 4th and neutral with the remaining shift cable. First stint was great. Second driver made it to 4:30pm when the driver's front wheel hub broke off, caliper punched a hole in wheel, and the racing surface ground the tire into oblivion. Weekend over.

I tried to drive less like a jerk this race, passing people on corner exit instead of way too late in the braking zone. I still had a few oops events almost spinning. Sorry to those around me, it wasn't personal I just suck at driving.

We're going to be at Road Atlanta in 2 months, hopefully we'll have a good midwest contingent again.

3 (edited by VKZ24 2018-10-19 06:40 AM)

phyveaux wrote:

When we showed up for the 10th Anniversary race with our Lincoln

What year Lincoln?  I have a buddy building one that will hopefully premier at Road Atlanta.  PM me for details.

Edit: I see yours is a '94 model.  His is a '98 LSC Model.  Once done, we should tip the scales at 2,750 lbs, which is only 1,000 lbs. less than stock.  wink

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

MDG wrote:

Saturday about 4 hours in shifter cable breaks, driver pulls off, S-Coupé makes wild move causing mess. We have a shot of it in our rear view mirror we need to put on the youtubes.

although I witnessed this firsthand, I need this. for closure.

RIP SCOUPE

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?