1 (edited by waffle_stomp 2018-10-26 08:30 AM)

Topic: noob questions before houston race: tire install timing

we have a new set of tires for the Lemons race which are not mounted yet. And our old tires have prob 40% tread left -

Do the lemon veterans recommend leaving the old tires on for the practice day Friday and then once that is over go to the tire change tent and get the new tires installed/ on the car?

Also note we have two spare wheels so we would only need to have two tires installed onto the rims Friday night.   

Follow up questions -

1. does anyone know the tire tent operating hours?
2. is the tire change station operating on Friday?
3. what kind of line /wait times can we expect to run into at the Yokohama tire changing station?
4. i'm assuming they balance the tire after mounting --- i hope?
5. tire service is free right?

Thanks in advance! ---mildly freaking out over our first race smile

Re: noob questions before houston race: tire install timing

Put two of the new tires on your spare wheels.

Bring your other two spare tires as backup spares; you'll almost certainly not need them.

At your first race, I bet the existing tires @ 40% get you through the entire weekend.

--

Alternatively, put your four new tires on the current wheels, and put two shit tires on your two spare wheels.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

What tires are you racing?  What tire your are using may make a difference in what people suggest

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

What tires are you racing?  What tire your are using may make a difference in what people suggest

we are racing  Falcon AZENIS 205/50R15 89W --- it's the only decent tire that fits our rim/ wheel well wink

At Buttonwillow Yokohama was there, but they were not allowed by the track to change tires.  The local shop at Buttonwillow charges for tire changes.  I have no idea at MSR.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:

At Buttonwillow Yokohama was there, but they were not allowed by the track to change tires.  The local shop at Buttonwillow charges for tire changes.  I have no idea at MSR.

this is a very good point - does anyone know if Yokohama will have a tire change station set up at MSR?

i have only heard this second hand - so no idea if what i heard was correct.

waffle_stomp wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

this is a very good point - does anyone know if Yokohama will have a tire change station set up at MSR?

I would start the race on fresh tires.  If you don't blow up, try and remember to rotate sometime during the race or you may cord a front tire by the end.  You should be okay with practice and race on the new tires.  Mount your two best on your spares.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:
waffle_stomp wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

I would start the race on fresh tires.  If you don't blow up, try and remember to rotate sometime during the race or you may cord a front tire by the end.  You should be okay with practice and race on the new tires.  Mount your two best on your spares.

yeah i like this plan - considering it does not rely on Yokohama to do any tire changing on the race weekend. + like you said with the spares we should be okay to swap 2 wheels at some point during the race depending on what corner is seeing the most wear.