Topic: 1984 300zx NA - spare parts suggestions

first time running a lemon car (in 2 weeks @ Houston! MRS!)- 1984 300zx - manual -naturally aspirated - any advice on this particular car as far as spare parts go? or just any advice at all on the 300zx NA?

we have been to the track a twice and had failures both times including:
*catastrophic coolant system failure ---> we replaced every hose and radiator (yep we didnt think to do that before we went on track#nooblife)
*catastrophic fuel line failure --> we replaced every fuel line on the car ( again --- YEP! we didnt think to do that before we went on track#nooblife)

(im using the term catastrophic kinda lightly - no one died ---- but it could have been a bad situation)

also if this should be posted in a different forum please let me know and i can move it over

Thanks!

Re: 1984 300zx NA - spare parts suggestions

Motor, trans, rear end, brake rotors, brake calipers, brake lines,suspension bits, etc.

Anything you bring you wont need, and anything you don't bring you will need. I like to be prepared with everything that I can't get at the local parts store on race weekend.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Bring whatever hoses, belts, wiring, tools, spares you have.  Have a spare set of brake pads front and rear, especially if you are running street car pads.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:

Bring whatever hoses, belts, wiring, tools, spares you have.  Have a spare set of brake pads front and rear, especially if you are running street car pads.

we are running endurance pads - if anything im concerned with burning through the rotors. they appear to be the limiting factor currently yikes.

i need to find a good thread on the most common failure modes i think - as we have changed all the belts/ brake lines/ coolant lines/ fuel lines/  fluids - tie rods - --- i feel like all of the new components should be good (let me know if im wrong and we still need to be concerned with the new stuff). 

clutch could be a concern - probably need to bring a clutch kit. ---- just need to put some thought into it ....

Wheel bearings are common issue on FWD and some RWD cars.  Sucks to have to press in a non-unit bearing at the track but someone seems to always have the kit to correctly pull and "press" (quotes because vice, not press usually) in a bearing.  Look for the folks with a MKII-MKII VW Golf/Jetta.

Clutch rarely seem to go in endurance racing as long as you don't loose some gear or have a rear main seal leak.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Wheel bearings are common issue on FWD and some RWD cars.  Sucks to have to press in a non-unit bearing at the track but someone seems to always have the kit to correctly pull and "press" (quotes because vice, not press usually) in a bearing.  Look for the folks with a MKII-MKII VW Golf/Jetta.

Clutch rarely seem to go in endurance racing as long as you don't loose some gear or have a rear main seal leak.

good call - something i overlooked -- probably an easy cheep spare to have onhand.  (although our wheel bearings are new --- they are also not primo brand sooooo yeah - possible failure point)

waffle_stomp wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

good call - something i overlooked -- probably an easy cheep spare to have onhand.  (although our wheel bearings are new --- they are also not primo brand sooooo yeah - possible failure point)

Basically we put sideloads on those bearings in one race that they would likely not receive 50K miles.  If the bearing was well designed, manufactured and installed correctly you can get many races out of them. 

On our dustbuster minivan we use up an average of one (out of two) front per race and one rear every other race.  Timken fronts can sometime get a full two races out of both bearings.  Granted, its front wheel drive with more grip by about a factor 4 than they designed it for and doing 3000+ turns in a 14 hours race...most of them at the limits of adhesion for that 4X grip.  Its a lot of abuse.  Love lifetime guarantee Autozone hubs/bearings.