Topic: Aluminum drive shafts?

Does anyone take the lighter weight drive shafts out of other cars to use? I may need a custom one for the motor swap, and I have one from an LS1 car, but it will have to be shortened.

Re: Aluminum drive shafts?

We run an LS1 driveshaft (w/out modification) in our 3rd gen F Body. No problems with it.

I think the Caddy V8 swapped Miata is running an aluminum shaft from a C4 vette too.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

I used an aluminum P71 driveshaft (shortened) in my V8 E30.

piper.gras wrote:

We run an LS1 driveshaft (w/out modification) in our 3rd gen F Body. No problems with it.

I seem to recall drinking from the chalice of failure.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

RichVS wrote:
piper.gras wrote:

The root cause of the problem that created the chalice of failure was a broken torque arm that allowed the pinion angle to change under braking acceleration. Under throttle the pinion would angle up, which moved the driveshaft up in the tunnel...This allowed the steel handbrake cable bracket that I had welded to the top of the tunnel to saw through the driveshaft like a bandsaw.

Lesson(s) learned, and we gained an awesome drinking apparatus out of it as well!

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

piper.gras wrote:
RichVS wrote:
piper.gras wrote:

The root cause of the problem that created the chalice of failure was a broken torque arm that allowed the pinion angle to change under braking acceleration. Under throttle the pinion would angle up, which moved the driveshaft up in the tunnel...This allowed the steel handbrake cable bracket that I had welded to the top of the tunnel to saw through the driveshaft like a bandsaw.

Lesson(s) learned, and we gained an awesome drinking apparatus out of it as well!

What the hell was it I drank from that thing? I woke up by the #nevertoosoon Jail-O car...