1 (edited by MDG 2018-11-10 07:57 AM)

Topic: License question and a request

What would you call our $60/year competition license? I just filled out my Ford GT application (they're back open). Since I've raced in both the midwest and southern regions, I wend ahead and said it's a national license. Maybe since we won $400 that one time I should have said it's a Pro license?!?!?!?! I've never bought a new car so this is all new to me. Normally I answer a Craigsist ad with a trailer and a wad of cash less than my daily ATM limit and go home with a car.

Anyway, I promised our Ford overlords to livestream 24/7, daily drive it even in the winter, take it to every Lemons Rally, and I'll bring it to races too if I can still afford to participate.

If anyone wants to put in a good word for me, apply with your name, but in the comments section at the end, tell them you want to forgo your spot in line in order to recommend that "the crazy guy in Indiana who will drive this thing in January" gets your spot.

Thanks all, see you in a month at the snow race in Atlanta.

https://www.fordgt.com/content/brand_fo … ation.html

https://www.fordgt.com/campaignlibs/content/brand_ford/en_us/wired/performance/gt/application/gt-application/confirmation/_jcr_content/content/hero_centered/image.img.jpg/1537802592862.jpg

Re: License question and a request

I would call it, "I like to play on the track with other cars, but I'm not going to go bankrupt for $500 and a $5 trophy."

Maybe "I promise not to be John Cena?"

Dude, I would never be caught dead in a car I had to BEG to be granted the allowance of paying half a million dollars for.

Because just to be clear, this isn't about some marketing publicity stunt of winning a Ford GT if you social media whore it or whatever, this is literally begging to give them money.

That's just, embarrassing.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

If I had the financial means to buy that car I would beg like hell to own that car. Don't care what you think, that car is awesome and I would not lose a second of sleep over it.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

If I had the financial means to buy that car I would beg like hell to own that car. Don't care what you think, that car is awesome and I would not lose a second of sleep over it.

Plus think how awesome it would be with an Iron Duke swap and a busselback conversion! Since this whole thing requires me winning the lottery between now and 2022, I wouldn’t mind making it more Lemons appropriate smile

I personally categorize the Lemons "License" in the same category as SCCA "Membership" - A permission slip to associate with the organization at all.

That said, if I were filling out an application to buy something that for some braindamaged reason was only available to licensed competition drivers, it would ABSOLUTELY be a national-level sportsman competition license.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

I miss the supercharged DOHC 5.4 GT. Unpopular opinion? Still, I wouldn't kick the new one out of bed...

I too was always curious about the license cost, at the risk of asking an offending question. I figured its just a way for HQ to make a few extra bucks, but never understood why not just fold the cost into each race instead. Just seems easier.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

gtopat wrote:

I figured its just a way for HQ to make a few extra bucks, but never understood why not just fold the cost into each race instead. Just seems easier.

I do not have an inside track to Lemons HQ, so this is pure, undiluted speculation on my part:

(1) It's cheaper and easier to get insurance for these events if only members are allowed to go out on track. The license is an indication of membership.

AND

(2) It's easier to convince the insurance underwriters that the membership really is a membership if the dues are collected separately and are valid for a fixed period, such as one year, completely independent of the question of how many races a person attends. If it were simply one more aspect of the price of each race, then it wouldn't really be a membership. It would just be an admission fee.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

MDG wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

Plus think how awesome it would be with an Iron Duke swap and a busselback conversion! Since this whole thing requires me winning the lottery between now and 2022, I wouldn’t mind making it more Lemons appropriate smile

Yea bit you can just wait for sone idiot celebrity to eff one up then buy the shell.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

mharrell wrote:
gtopat wrote:

I figured its just a way for HQ to make a few extra bucks, but never understood why not just fold the cost into each race instead. Just seems easier.

I do not have an inside track to Lemons HQ, so this is pure, undiluted speculation on my part:

(1) It's cheaper and easier to get insurance for these events if only members are allowed to go out on track. The license is an indication of membership.

AND

(2) It's easier to convince the insurance underwriters that the membership really is a membership if the dues are collected separately and are valid for a fixed period, such as one year, completely independent of the question of how many races a person attends. If it were simply one more aspect of the price of each race, then it wouldn't really be a membership. It would just be an admission fee.

Yeah, if I had to guess, both organizers and the insurance people probably also use it as a way to keep tabs on the active membership as people will let them lapse if they're not racing. This is also pure speculation on my part.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions