Re: UV-5R radio mount and wiring diagrams

I like the 3D printed version - but didn't see the Fusion file on Thingiverse? Can you upload that? I'd like to play around with the design a bit.

FWIW, I printed fog light mount brackets for the car for the 24 hour race, they worked great. Used eSun PETG with 10% gyroid infill and 5 vertical perimeters, 5 solid layers top and bottom.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

27 (edited by TheEngineer 2018-11-14 04:59 PM)

Mulry wrote:

I like the 3D printed version - but didn't see the Fusion file on Thingiverse? Can you upload that? I'd like to play around with the design a bit.

FWIW, I printed fog light mount brackets for the car for the 24 hour race, they worked great. Used eSun PETG with 10% gyroid infill and 5 vertical perimeters, 5 solid layers top and bottom.

Uploaded it to thingiverse. Enjoy.

I'm just starting to play with PETG, I remade my roll bar mounts for all my live stream equipment with it. Wasn't a perfect first print, but it proved the concept to me. Need to dial in settings and print them again.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I uploaded one more item that some might be interested in. It's the PPT blocker that VKZ24 asked me to design. Serves two functions on a radio, 1. it prevents any of the side buttons from being pressed. 2. it holds the headset connector in place. Mounts with the stock belt clip screws.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3217115

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

VKZ24 wrote:

Bottom line, I'm sure how yours has worked for two races. In my case the 7.5V voltage regulator combined with the built in resistor in the actual battery eliminator drops the voltage too low for the radio to function.

Its an either-or situation (external regulator or the built-in voltage divider, you can't use both). It would appear that the voltage divider circuitry in your battery eliminator is located in the portion that attaches to the radio, and not the cigarette plug. That would explain why the voltage was too low when you wired it to the 7.5V regulator.

In my battery eliminator, the voltage divider circuit was in the cigarette plug, so I was able to just cut the plug off and wire the output of the 7.5V regulator to the portion of the battery eliminator that attaches to the radio.

Given the configuration of your battery eliminator, you should be able to safely connect the wires directly to the car 12V. As you indicated, your problem turned out to be an issue with making good contact at the input the radio.

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

Thanks for the upload of the fusion files.

I really, really like PETG. I like the material properties, but I primarily like it because my Prusa Mk3 really likes it too. Just a swipe of isopropyl alcohol on the bed and it always sticks. For some reason it really doesn't like PLA very much, and ABS prints fine (so long as it's not too big, otherwise I really need to put it in an enclosure), but given the way it prints PETG, I can't see much advantage to using PLA or ABS for anything at this point. Also really love that gyroid infill pattern if you have it on your slicer. Faster, stronger, and uses more optimal filament amounts too than any other.

I just got a tungsten nozzle to play around with carbon infused filaments but haven't really experimented with it yet. Maybe over the holidays.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

If you make substantial changes to the mount let me know. Just curious what you'd change to make it better.

My only issue with PETG so far is random missing outer layers. I believe it's a printer problem, not a filament issue. I think the extruder is skipping occasionally. I need to tweak a few things to make the drag from the roll less and see if that helps.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon