Topic: Atlanta Race, Macon GA - Newbies Need Desperate Roll Cage Help,

Our car is a 96 camaro, we have a nice and compliant DOM prefab roll cage from roll cage components and a nice welder ready to go, but we are way in over our heads on this install and desperately need assistance! Please help, we're running our of time.

Re: Atlanta Race, Macon GA - Newbies Need Desperate Roll Cage Help,

What kind of help do you need?

Mostly fitment. I have a welder who is capable, but has no experience with roll cages and the complex geometry. We are actually located down in Kathleen. I just put Macon as more people know of it. We're about 20 min south of there.

The car is essentially ready (enough) beside the cage and the kill switch.

Have you read through this: https://24hoursoflemons.com/wp-content/ … 051817.pdf

There are some good videos on Youtube also. You are probably going to have to cut a hole in the floor to drop the cage through so you can weld 360degrees around the tubing.
This video is pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xeh1pKjHvZY&t=1030s

Post some pics of the car and what the cage looks like right now. I'm building a 96 Camaro too.

I'm guessing you're not nearby? I have seen the how not to fail tech pdf. It's helpful, but I'm not certain of the fabrication skills we have on hand. I'll mention cutting the hole in the floor, that might be helpful.

8 (edited by HighTechCorvette 2018-11-16 09:52 AM)

Watch the way they cut the floor in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xeh1pKjHvZY&t=1030s

I'm in Houston, Texas

9 (edited by VKZ24 2018-11-16 12:12 PM)

Most of the stuff from RCC fits pretty well, but it does have to be modified to fit.  Do you need help with notching the tubes, building plinths, or what exactly? 

Unless you can find someone local., you may have to load it up and get it to someone with experience.  Hell, bring it to my shop and I'll help you.  That is if you don't mind driving 7 hours to get here.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I am in the Charleston area, about 4 hours away from you. If you want to load it up and bring it to me I will spend a day with you at my shop to show you what needs to be done. Use the email link on the left of this message to send me a note if this is something you want to work out.

I definitely agree with cutting holes in the floor for the 4 main vertical bars so you can drop it down and fully weld the top corners. When you get those done and push it back up, get it as high and tight to the car as possible, even if it means building plinth boxes on top of your spreader plates. A lot of things can be redone later if necessary, but maximizing head room and interior space you can only get right once.

RCC kits are pretty good, but they do require a little fitting. First, you'll need to notch the halo to the main hoop. More of a pain in the ass is notching the front uprights (A-pillar bars) to the halo. Try to have these hit the halo as far forward as possible to keep the bars tight up against the car's A-pillars. A lot of first-time teams (my team included) make the mistake of landing the front uprights too far back on the halo. This weakens the cage, restricts entry space into the car, and makes notching the bar where it meets the halo harder due to the shallower intercept angle.

You'll also need to cut all 4 vertical bars (front uprights and main hoop) to length wear they hit your floor. Safest to leave them a little long; cutting more off later is easier than building a plinth box to raise the floor. You'll need to do the same with the backstays.

It's generally a good idea to only tack things together until as late as possible in the process, so you can make adjustments if you have to. Even so, be very careful grinding off tack welds. Better to leave a bit of extraneous bead on the tube than nick the tube's OD. Lemons tech doesn't like that.

Finally, it's best to have your seat placement finalized before you start on the cage. Your seat back location might affect the placement of the main hoop.

I really appreciate the feedback. I think we're starting to make some headway now! Lord willing, we'll make it by the deadline.

The tip about mounting the seat first is super good info. Don’t notch anything until you know exactly where the driver is gonna be.  Also, there is a great you tube tutorial on fishmouthing tubing from “the fabricator series”.  Doesn’t require a tubing notcher, just a chop saw and a prayer. The method is actually better than a notcher as the edges that you are left with take a bead better than the the knife blades that a notcher creates.

Tri-Lamb Motorsports ‘87 528e

I have an 00 Firebird.   Everything said above but also helmet clearance is an issue in these cars.  Drop the seat as low as you can, probably have to remove the factory mounts and make your own. 

On top either cut out some of the t-top metal to get the main hoop and halo higher or bend the ends of the halo down to give it some lift from the main hoop.  We did the latter.  But I know at least one other team on here did the former.  Just get it as high as you can.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

Oh, and we will see you in a couple weeks, but our Nisan is making this trip down.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix