Topic: Opinion on Federal Tires

Specifically  Federal SS-535  is what I'm considering UTQG: 260AA and only $60 each

Re: Opinion on Federal Tires

I used these on a nose heavy, Class B car and they chunked like crazy.
They might be OK on a lighter Class C car, but they have a lot of tread voids and edges.
Might be good for a rain tire.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

A good value tire is the Firestone Indy 500 Firehawk. Grip is no where near the 200tw champs, but they take a beating without falling apart and wear like iron.

ross2004 wrote:

A good value tire is the Firestone Indy 500 Firehawk. Grip is no where near the 200tw champs, but they take a beating without falling apart and wear like iron.

Good tread on these, not too open.
I have these on DD e39 and they seem to be wearing well.
https://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/firestone/fs_firehawk_in500_pdpcrop.jpg
vs.
https://www.federaltire.com/en/images/products/b_photo_1353894522390.jpg

Capt. Delinquent Racing
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

We ran/run the Federal 595 EVO tires on the 77 Celica, they are a 240 tread wear. we have 2 races on one set (April autobahn, summer Gingerman) that set is still sitting at 1/2 tread life if not a little better. we switched to Falken Azines for the october race to get a little more out of the car and see the difference. I was getting a full set of the 595 Evo's shipped to my door from Tireseasy.com for $275 and they were good enough for the car. the Falken's more than twice that cost.

To answer the question, I think the EVO's are good tires for the money. not sure about SS-595 which is a different tread design all together.

Team Captain at Rust Belt Racing,IOE Pontiac Aztek with The Pit Crew Revenge,Organizers Choice 1956 Nash Metro With Cheesy beards Racing,IOE 1977 Toyota Celica S/T RBR,.SERVICE BY MANNY, MOE, AND JACK PIT CREW REVENGED AEWOO LEGANZA,Judges Choice Chevy HHR RBR

I run the Firestone Indy 500 Firehawks on my DD (Focus ST).  Great DD tire, especially for the price.  Maybe an ok race rain tire, but my team would murder me if I stuck them on our Lemons car.  ZIII's are our current tire of choice but seem to not hold up as well in the front as the DIIs.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

Check with Chris Overzet.  I believe he runs the SS-595s

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I think i'll give them a try given the price.   This is a MX3, so it is pretty light, and we are not going to push it hard.
It came with worn Falken Azenis including a spare used set.  How far can you wear them down and still be safe/legal?

cheseroo wrote:

I consulted Overzet, in his words "good cheap tires" which is why we pulled the trigger on 2 sets for our first race.

Team Captain at Rust Belt Racing,IOE Pontiac Aztek with The Pit Crew Revenge,Organizers Choice 1956 Nash Metro With Cheesy beards Racing,IOE 1977 Toyota Celica S/T RBR,.SERVICE BY MANNY, MOE, AND JACK PIT CREW REVENGED AEWOO LEGANZA,Judges Choice Chevy HHR RBR

stangman4ever wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

I consulted Overzet, in his words "good cheap tires" which is why we pulled the trigger on 2 sets for our first race.

. . . and they're squeaky compared to the StarSpecAzenis200TWwhatevers so your more newbie drivers get more audible feedback to remind them when they're going fast and ending up slow -

The OP started with SS-535's, but now we're talking about SS-595's.
Which tires are we talkiing about?
I'M SO CONFUSED!!

Capt. Delinquent Racing

The Federal ss-535 is an all season radial and won't work well in racing.  The Federal SS-595 is a performance tire (240 wear rating).
I've used them and they chunk when over heated.  Will only last the weekend because after a few heat cycles and sitting for a couple weeks they got rock hard. 
We found going to Falken 615 or BFG rivals were more cost effective in the long run.

If it doesn't have 2 doors, 3 pedals, and 5 lug nuts per wheel - It isn't a real race car

best cheep tires are the riken raptors. I don't know why no one is listening to me.  we did buttonwilow and the entire MSR 24hr race (where we came in 8th overall) and still have enough tire left for AZ d-bags.  I think if you are not going to spend the money on the 200tw race tires this is your next best option.

Owner/Captain of The 27 Club E46. Phoenix, AZ
and now the #95 Thunderbird

14 (edited by fcdrifter7 2018-11-19 06:52 PM)

So I have a set of them on my FD street car. It was a 5 year project i working on and just got if finished this year. Needless to say them moment I put the car in to boost the old tires exploded so due to funding I got Federals 595rs. They have been quit on my RX-7 and seam to hook up well even when seeing 430 hp. They only have about 1,000 (street) miles but have been holding up well. I have been known to do some donuts every now and then too.

I didn't end up buying the federal 535 tires, I was seriously about to buy some $35 Mayrun tires, and you have to admit with a name
like MayRun they seem perfect for Lemons racing. 

But I scored a brand new set of BFG G-force Rival S tires (200tw) mounted on miata rims for only $350,
so should be ready to go for the March Pointless race.

I will recommend half-worn old-ass Direzzas that sat outside for a couple of winters as a budget tire for a car where excessive g-forces are a concern (like poor oiling or bad drivers). You get the grip of a good all-season but it wears like iron, for some reason.

K Car Stalker