Topic: Noob with a helmet question - ECE 22.05

I have a really nice, Suomy Vandal motorcycle helmet that is ECE 22.05 rated.  https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/suomy-vandal/

ECE 22.05 is allowed in AMA, WERA, FIM, CCS, Formula USA and MotoGP. 

I'm curious as to why something that is allowed in Formula USA and MotoGP isn't ok for Lemons?  Are motorcycle helmets too hard or is it a fire safety issue?

2 (edited by beaker 2018-11-25 09:48 PM)

Re: Noob with a helmet question - ECE 22.05

From Snell - http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aSAMKdiff

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?

The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while the M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:

The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than the M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi-impact test while the M standard does not.

3 (edited by TheEngineer 2018-11-26 05:38 AM)

Flammability and roll-bar impact testing.

Other groups may say it's ok and allow motorcycle helmets to be used, but they really are designed for different scenarios. Rules are rules, and Lemons wants an SA helmet. Lemons specifically did not want a giant SCCA like rule book, so it's much easier to just make one blanket rule of "must be SA rated" rather than go through and define every little corner case they could. Snell is the most common standard, so they're the easiest one to use.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

Rules are rules, and Lemons wants an SA helmet.

That's kind of all that needs to be said on the matter.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

Rules are rules, and Lemons wants an SA helmet.

That's kind of all that needs to be said on the matter.

I guess, unless you like to learn things.

Thanks for replies and explanation.  Nothing wrong with adding another helmet type to the stable.

Cheers

Pretty sure it's the fire safety.

They seem strangely fixated on us protecting ourselves from the unlikely event of burning racecar. I mean fires never happen in Lemons...

That guy

Yeah, I get it.  I started thinking about fire when I was posting, and probably should've canceled post.  I was fixated on the "crash/impact" job of helmets.  I was thinking, "Damn, race car drivers shouldn't be flying head first at 150 mph, maybe they are softer than MC helmets?". 
I might also be biased because I've been on 2 wheels for 36 years. 
I've moved "Fire protection" up, in my mental order of importance.

Thanks

Fire protection is to car racing as abrasion protection is to motorcycle and kart racing.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport