Topic: Road Atlanta: Tire Wear/Abrasive Track Surface

It is our first outing at Road Atlanta and I'm curious about the track surface and tire wear.  On a scale of 1 to 10 how abrasive is the track surface under normal conditions (w/o snow and ice)?

Re: Road Atlanta: Tire Wear/Abrasive Track Surface

The place is rather tire friendly, I give it a 4, your only real wear will be the RF if pushing hard up T1, saying that, on your first outing, tires will not be the worry.

Bring spare undies.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Team Infinniti wrote:

The place is rather tire friendly, I give it a 4, your only real wear will be the RF if pushing hard up T1, saying that, on your first outing, tires will not be the worry.

Bring spare undies.

I'd say it's a 3, on both tires and brakes, compared to say CMP which is a 10.  Pushing hard up T1 is aided by all that camber.  I've only been once so far, but I loved it!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Like they said, tire wear is pretty light and consistent.
Cold weather and possibly rain will also make tires last longer. 
You may want to look at something other than a high performance summer tires, as they don't like near freezing temps, and damp conditions that they are forecasting for the weekend.

Firebelly wrote:

You may want to look at something other than a high performance summer tires, as they don't like near freezing temps, and damp conditions that they are forecasting for the weekend.

Do you have crystal ball or something?  The meteorologists can barely get the forecast right three days in advance, much less 10 days.  Besides, we are hoping for no snow this year!

Captain

Road Atlanta was very friendly to the tires on our ~2000 lbs. wrong-wheel-drive Integra. Being ~32°F and wet for the first half of Saturday helped that a little, but it still wasn't bad in the dry either.

On the other hand, we used A LOT more fuel than expected. Our burn-rate was ~25% greater than other tracks. That long straight in the back guzzles the gas. Best come prepared.

The Pentastar whisperer

I would agree 4-5. 3 if you learn to use the track and back off a bit. Team Duff has been practicing driving the entire track without using the brakes. T10 is the only place we'd really ever need to, but taking your fat foot off the bar (the pedal fell off at NCM) the car will slow a great deal. (being 14tons of german diesel, it does take awhile.)

Duff Beer Civic (#128) -- 2014 Sebring - Class B (#1 of 7), 2016 Barber - Class B
1981 Jet Electrica 007 [Plymouth Horizon TC3] (#128) -- Mk.1 - Index of Effluency Eco (IOEe) @ 2016 Lemons South Fall, Mk.2 - Judges' Choice @ 2017 'Shine Country Classic, Mk.3 - Index of Effluency @ 2017 Southern Discomfort

Thanks for the input!

Bayley wrote:

Road Atlanta was very friendly to the tires on our ~2000 lbs. wrong-wheel-drive Integra. Being ~32°F and wet for the first half of Saturday helped that a little, but it still wasn't bad in the dry either.

On the other hand, we used A LOT more fuel than expected. Our burn-rate was ~25% greater than other tracks. That long straight in the back guzzles the gas. Best come prepared.

Similar results from our Right Wheel Drive ~2500 lbs Celica. Low tire wear, higher than normal fuel burn, adjust your stint length appropriately and keep an eye on pit lane if you don't have radios!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

It looks like I missed the window to sign up for the test day on the Lemons sight. I'm guessing it should be a problem to do this at the track. How did it work last year?

Greg

1987 Alfa Milano (Bellissima since 2008), Racing since 2008 Stafford Springs,  2nd overall 2011 NJMP, 4th at NHMS 2011, 2nd at Summit 2011, Into the wall hard at Stafford Springs 2011, 2nd at Monticello 2013, 3rd at NHMS 2013, 2nd at NHMS 2016. 2nd at NJMP 2018

25,000 racing miles in 32 races in 10 years. Yes its the same motor. Tell me again how Alfas suck? Update: Big moneyshift = new motor

Greg S wrote:

It looks like I missed the window to sign up for the test day on the Lemons sight. I'm guessing it should be a problem to do this at the track. How did it work last year?

Greg

You can still sign up at the track, but the cost is more.

Captain

If you run on the outside of the turns in the marbles you will actually gain tire rubber, It's how i never buy tires for my car  wink

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B