Topic: 2019 Rules

I have been reading about rule changes in 2019.  But I can’t seem to find said rules.   Can someone help this big dummy out.  Yes I know. The internet is very hard...

Team Captain - Questionable Compression Racing
1992 Merc-B 400E "Benz Green Machine"
total noobs....

Re: 2019 Rules

They haven't been published yet. Which given that they're already emailing people about deadlines for 2019 races, they should be coming along any day now.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

In the existing rules:

3.F.3 Onboard Fire Suppression System or Extinguisher. Lemons EXCEEDINGLY STRONGLY recommends a properly plumbed, fully charged, securely mounted SFI- or FIA-certified onboard fire suppression system with agent-appropriate nozzles. Onboard fire suppression will become mandatory on 1/1/19. Minimum acceptable is a 5-lb system covering the driver compartment and engine compartment. Highly preferred is a 10-lb system covering the driver compartment, engine compartment, and fuel storage area. Cars not meeting these standards must carry a fully charged Purple K, Type 10B:C, or Type A:B:C extinguisher, 2.5 lbs or larger, located in easy reach of the driver and secured via a proper, purpose-made, all-metal quick-release bracket. (In other words, just go to the damn hardware store and buy a good mount; don’t use the cheap plastic thingy that came with the bottle.) No sheetmetal screws or self-tapping screws allowed in mounting. Teams are solely responsible for ensuring the proper installation, inspection, and maintenance of all fire extinguishers and/or fire-suppression systems.

3.E.1 General Rollbar and Structure. Professionally-made full rollcage required. A poorly built, improperly mounted, or badly engineered rollcage will keep you from racing: Don’t show up with crap! Cages originally created as bolt-ins will not pass without extensive modifications; these mods usually cost more time and money than just starting with the right weld-in cage.  Cages originally created as bolt-ins will not be allowed after 1/1/19. At minimum, cage must include: Full front and rear hoop, appropriately braced to each other along the roofline (halo type and side/downbar type are also acceptable); two driver-side door bars (X-design is acceptable); appropriate main-hoop backstays with no bends, located as close to 45 degrees from horizontal as practical; one main-hoop diagonal; appropriate spreader plates and gussets; complete 360-degree welds at all joints, including all car-to-cage joints. Each major loadbearing member must be formed from a single, continuous tube. Shoulder-harness bars are necessary for proper shoulder-harness mounting in nearly all applications (the harness-to-bar attachment point must be between zero and 15 degrees lower than the harness’s seat-entry point). Dash bars are very strongly encouraged. On all sides, all drivers’ helmeted heads must be at least two inches inside the area enclosed by the cage.  For simple illustrations, check out Lemons’ “HOW TO NOT FAIL Lemons TECH INSPECTION” PDF.

Don't forget this one:

2.1: Vehicle Eligibility: Entry limited to mass-produced, four-wheeled vehicles legal for US highway use at the time of their manufacture. Vehicles must be acquired and prepared for a maximum of $500 as described in Section 4. Vehicles must meet all safety standards laid out in Section 3. The vehicle’s original, manufacturer-stated curb weight may not exceed 4200 pounds. Individual waivers may be granted; just don’t ask about Peterbilts, Zambonis, sidecars, or golf carts again. We already said no.  Beginning in 2019, no BMW E30 chassis vehicles or Mazda Miatas of any generation shall be allowed to enter unless they have undergone extensive theming so as to render them unrecognizable as the underlying car, or have received an engine swap from a different manufacturer.  We have standards to maintain, ya know?

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

5 (edited by n0m4d 2018-11-30 10:57 AM)

Ya'all gonna be begging for the e30s and Miata's to come back as e36's flood into the paddocks.  It's already happening in the Northeast races.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

The updated rules circulated with staff this week and should be finalized/posted soon.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

7 (edited by Red Lemons Racing 2018-11-30 01:46 PM)

n0m4d wrote:

Ya'all gonna be begging for the e30s and Miata's to come back as e36's flood into the paddocks.  It's already happening in the Northeast races.

E36's are a far better track oriented car, but suck at quality control or durability, that's what  made e30's legendary minus dreaded timing belts.  But I need not tell you that lol.

Has an E36 ever even won? I’d look it up, but after 11 years a simple database of cars and wins and such is just too much to ask for.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

I believe straight out of Suncook won twice on the east coast with one. Its a great platform - the easy button in some respects. I won't repeat the porcupine joke. Chasing them in the Alfa is a handful. There are three cars on the east coast that I have to drive the wheels of the Alfa to keep up. They seem to stop real well too.

I hate to Love them

Greg

Guildenstern wrote:

Has an E36 ever even won? I’d look it up, but after 11 years a simple database of cars and wins and such is just too much to ask for.

1987 Alfa Milano (Bellissima since 2008), Racing since 2008 Stafford Springs,  2nd overall 2011 NJMP, 4th at NHMS 2011, 2nd at Summit 2011, Into the wall hard at Stafford Springs 2011, 2nd at Monticello 2013, 3rd at NHMS 2013, 2nd at NHMS 2016. 2nd at NJMP 2018

25,000 racing miles in 32 races in 10 years. Yes its the same motor. Tell me again how Alfas suck? Update: Big moneyshift = new motor

Reminders are always nice for big changes like this, so hopefully they actually reword the rules to reflect that those changes are now in effect and include them in the redline updates. I know a number of teams got caught off guard when the harness expiration rules transitioned in 2018 with no wording changes.

Guildenstern wrote:

We have won twice in ours both times because the good teams in the midwest broke.  We are usually mid pack in terms of lap times but the gas mileage on them is pretty good.  Currently have 18 races on our motor without touching it, have broke lots of other things in that span tho.

Wisconsin Crap Racers #113 E36
I.O.E. Winners 2023 Gingerman
2016 and 2017 Cure for Gingivitis Champs!
30+ time Losers!