Topic: Camera mounts

What are acceptable ways to mount a camera inside a care? Also, what are unacceptable ways?1st timer here and just want to make sure we do it right

2 (edited by Guildenstern 2018-12-02 08:36 PM)

Re: Camera mounts

The best bet is to use a roll bar mount system from either the camera manufacturer (if an action cam), or RAM Mounts.

Unacceptable ways include but are not limited to:

Zip-tieing a camera operator to the cage to hand hold the camera
Duct Tape
A free standing tripod

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Some tracks do not allow helmet mounted cameras.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

Video from a helmet mounted camera is nauseating anyway, I loathe video from that perspective.

Ideally they should be hard mounted. Meaning purpose built mounts using normal fasteners. Roll bar mounts are the best and they're available everywhere for common cameras like GoPros.

There are really really good suction cup mounts out there, however be aware that they usually allow a bit more movement and you'll have some vibration to the camera which will make the video less excellent if you have a car that is less smooth. Also, of you choose to use something less secure you should have a tether of some sort to prevent the camera from becoming a projectile in a crash.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

That’s interesting, I would have thought a roll bar mount would have more vibration..,,

6 (edited by VKZ24 2018-12-03 06:26 AM)

TheEngineer wrote:

Video from a helmet mounted camera is nauseating anyway, I loathe video from that perspective.

No doubt!

I know the 'proper' perspective is objective, but I hate to watch videos that show the entire inside of the car because the camera is located either too close to the rear of the car or not zoomed at all.  In those you can see everything, BUT the view through the windshield.

FWIW, we have a GoPro securely mounted via an IO Port mount, which is located on the horizontal bar of the main hoop.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

FWIW, from the TMI dept - What apparently caused Michael Schumacher's current condition was his crash caused a helmet mounted GoPro to be driven through his ski helmet into his brain.  I would presume a racing helmet has stronger impact resistance but knowing that was enough to not want me to mount extraneous stuff to mine.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

JCH wrote:

That’s interesting, I would have thought a roll bar mount would have more vibration..,,

Tons of factors to consider. But in general the suction cup mounts tend to be less rigid and more prone to vibrations. They also tend to have a longer arm on them, which exaggerates the shaking. The shorter you can keep the mounting arm, and the more rigid the whole setup the better the video will be in most cases.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice