1 (edited by sighting 2018-12-09 06:41 PM)

Topic: Roll Cage Install in San Francisco Bay Area or Merced

Good evening everyone, does anyone have a recommendation for someone in the Bay Area or Merced to do a roll cage for us?

We have not had much luck in gettin someone thats a. knowledgable with Lemons b. Not a circle track cage builder.

All and any help would greatly be appreciated.

PS. The car is currently in Merced but we can trailer it anywhere we need

Thank you

Re: Roll Cage Install in San Francisco Bay Area or Merced

http://www.evilgeniusracing.com/

John Pagel is one of the Lemons tech inspectors. Did our CRX cage, terrific work.

3 (edited by sighting 2018-12-09 11:30 PM)

Thats awesome, thank you I just sent him an email.

Now if only I can find a seat that can fit a 5.6" driver all the way to a 6.6" driver in our car.

One step at a time I guess.

Thanks again Aaron

sighting wrote:

Thats awesome, thank you I just sent him an email.

Now if only I can find a seat that can fit a 5.6" driver all the way to a 6.6" driver in our car.

One step at a time I guess.

Thanks again Aaron

It less about the seat and more about the mounting.

My drivers are in that height range and mass between 8.3 stone to 20.3 stone (that's 115 lbs to 285 lbs.)
We run a Kirkey containment seat that we bought used. It's mounted on rails at an incline so the smaller
drivers can see and my big melon stays below the rollcage. I squeeze in, which when on track isn't really
noticeable to me, and they use some pads to fit a bit more snug in the seat. The angled mount also helps the belts fit tight for everyone.

Adjustable seat stay/brace supports the seat when we need to move it.

I used seat rails from a TBird rather than the aftermarket rails. They bind too much because they're made a lot
more cheaply than factory sliders.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Thank you for the reply DR.

If you angled it back would it not make it harder for the shorter folk to sit upright?
I understand the say additional angle and we are lucky that the car has an adjustable steering column to help great the shorter folk.

But thinking of you add cushion below to prop up you would have to add it behind the back as well to straighten out as most humans don’t have long arms. They mostly leg or torso tall.

I just want to make sure our 5.6 driver is as safe as our 6.6 driver.

We got some low profile car mounts and slides from fleabay on the cheap and will try and mount a Craigslist seat this weekend to see where we stand.

I should write a book about our extravaganza in getting a car for Lemons ready. And we have not even finished it.

Thank you again.

The method of mounting the seat so it ramps up as it slides forward is the accepted way of handling the big/small driver problem.  The seating angle remains the same for short and tall since the two reference points (front and back of seat) stay at the same angle relative to each other as the seat slides forward/up.  You really don't want to be adding too much cushion in there as the end result will be belts/harness being looser than optimal.  Just trust us, put the seat sliders on an angled ramp and be done with it.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

The method of mounting the seat so it ramps up as it slides forward is the accepted way of handling the big/small driver problem.  The seating angle remains the same for short and tall since the two reference points (front and back of seat) stay at the same angle relative to each other as the seat slides forward/up.  You really don't want to be adding too much cushion in there as the end result will be belts/harness being looser than optimal.  Just trust us, put the seat sliders on an angled ramp and be done with it.

I was JUST gonna post a question about this. I had the ramp idea but wasn’t sure if people did that or if there were problems with the approach. Thanks! smile

sighting wrote:

Thank you for the reply DR.

If you angled it back would it not make it harder for the shorter folk to sit upright?

But thinking of you add cushion below to prop up you would have to add it behind the back as well to straighten out as most humans don’t have long arms. They mostly leg or torso tall.

We use a pretty firm packing foam for adjustments, about 1 in. thick. It's not real compressible, and designed to take pointed pressure.
That seems to be enough to get each driver comfortable and still safe.

Building foam seat inserts can help keep the smaller drivers safe in the seat.

I'll check on our mounting angle and report back.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Our seat rail is mounted at 15° angle, and the seat has about 4.75"-5" of fore/aft travel.

Other than accommodating my butt-to-helmet top distance for roll bar clearance, the rest of the seat
positioning was adjusted for the other four drivers who are well under 6'. Tall drivers can reach everything
so adjusting for the shorter reach of the others is important.

Also, tall persons everywhere are used to being discriminated against for our height, e.g., cramming us into
tiny airplane seats, forcing us to either duck or bump our heads on low hanging dining room light fixtures,
selling cars that have moon/sunroofs that lower the interior roof line and make us lean to one side so we can drive the clown car, etc.
IT'S A CONSPIRACY OF THE VERTICALLY CHALLENGED!!!
I digress.
Your tall driver will work with the space provided.

Capt. Delinquent Racing