Topic: Did anyone else have tire issues at New Hampshire?

Our trusty little saturn blew the left front tire 2 times during the weekend. Once each day.
I did not seem to be wear related.
I believe it got knocked off the bead
Kumho v720s....Looked like they had plenty of life left and we wasted them driving back to the paddock.
Thoughts?

Manny

Re: Did anyone else have tire issues at New Hampshire?

We wore the front left  into a slick in 1 day, but I'm chalking that up to more aggressive driving than usual with the traction control off.

The transitions both up and down the hill can be brutal, and it's mostly on that front left. Was it the same physical rim each time? or did you rotate so it was two different ones? Different tires than you've ran in the past? Was your driver hitting curbs too?

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

We wore the front left  into a slick in 1 day, but I'm chalking that up to more aggressive driving than usual with the traction control off.

The transitions both up and down the hill can be brutal, and it's mostly on that front left. Was it the same physical rim each time? or did you rotate so it was two different ones? Different tires than you've ran in the past? Was your driver hitting curbs too?

We did not reuse the rim, so it would be a different one of the same style. Same tire model/size all year, this set was carried over from Thompson because there was plenty of tread left on it.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

any chance you know where on track the initial problem occurred each time? that might give clues.

My only thought is the driver is smashing curbs (but there aren't many to hit with the left), or the transitions up and down the hill are just too rough on your particular tire/wheel combo.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

any chance you know where on track the initial problem occurred each time? that might give clues.

My only thought is the driver is smashing curbs (but there aren't many to hit with the left), or the transitions up and down the hill are just too rough on your particular tire/wheel combo.

Will have to ping the drivers to see if they remember. The day one driver won't remember but Manny (Mkotzias) was driving the second time so he may know when it started.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Mkotzias wrote:

Our trusty little saturn blew the left front tire 2 times during the weekend. Once each day.
I did not seem to be wear related.
I believe it got knocked off the bead
Kumho v720s....Looked like they had plenty of life left and we wasted them driving back to the paddock.
Thoughts?

Manny

We had used Azenis on the Datsun.  No issues other than wearing them out.  Due to our speed differential, we had a lot of funky lines...only 2 or 3 nasty spots on the left I can think of were taking the right hander up the hill too wide, any garbage on pit out/blend before that or the last of the esses where the movable curb kept moving. 

Ranger Train lost a front right I know, but it looked way more used than ours.  We're also much lighter, so, we have that going for us.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

I would say that the uphill is where I first noticed that it did something stupid.
I braked hard and stayed inside over the rumble strip, but I believe that was only with the right tires and I was going relatively straight.
As I hit the apex I slid across the track and cut off someone on the outside.(apology to whoever that was). It wasn't apparent that I blew the tire until I hit the downhill right and again took more than my share of track. (sorry again)
I don't know of my teammates experience when he blew the left front also.
Manny

We picked up a bolt on-track and lost a tire. Saw a higher than normal amount of junk floating around in the dirt of the paddock area too...

We picked up a 2" self-tapping screw in our right-rear at some point. I know that it wasn't self-inflicted because our team captain has a MAJOR hatred of self-tappers and we don't have any in our toolboxes. Fortunately it still held air while on track, we didn't even know it was there until we inspected the tires at the end of the day.

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

That's my biggest pet peeve. People using self tappers on the exterior of Lemons cars. They are so obviously going to end up on the race track at some point.

Rivets or bolts people!

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Tire wear seemed worse than we expected.

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

Our tire wear was pretty unremarkable, on the other hand we did loose a few fasteners during the weekend. Hopefully they didn't wind up in anyone's tires.

Our Hankook RS4's wear like iron. We lost a tire when a Miata decided to get under everyone in turn 1 and lost it - punting the Motion Sick VW into the Alfas left rear wheel really, really hard. It spun the car around violently and snapped a link in the rear Watts link. The whole de-Dion triangle shifted and the tire got eaten up by the inner fender. It took us about 40 minutes to get the car back on track

There wasn't as much grip on Sunday probably due to the colder temps but I am pretty sure there was a good amount of oil at turn 3 (right hander before the uphill) later in the day. I had some serious tank slappers there until I slowed down a lot there.

Another terrible spot for tires and the car is the left hander after turn 11 (the esses before the straight) it has a bottomless trench just beyond that high curb that every car climbs when you either come through to hot or turn in to early. We call this spot the frame rail adjuster. We hit it twice - the first time I got pinched by a car that probably didn't know I was there - my fault. The second time one of our drivers whose name begins with the letter Phil positioned the car wrong and scrubbed right off the cliff. Both times the same thing happened - a bone crunching thud and the motor dying. Same issue both times - a cracked distributor rotor. Later diagnosed to be the distributor shaft bouncing up into its axial play due to the car landing like Evel Knievel at Caesars palace.

So for this race we stepped on our wieners pretty well but we had some help with that from our friends in the Miata.

1987 Alfa Milano (Bellissima since 2008), Racing since 2008 Stafford Springs,  2nd overall 2011 NJMP, 4th at NHMS 2011, 2nd at Summit 2011, Into the wall hard at Stafford Springs 2011, 2nd at Monticello 2013, 3rd at NHMS 2013, 2nd at NHMS 2016. 2nd at NJMP 2018

25,000 racing miles in 32 races in 10 years. Yes its the same motor. Tell me again how Alfas suck? Update: Big moneyshift = new motor

Silly Nannies had two flats on the 992 AudiS6...both on Sunday. One was cut from track debris...one just came off of the wheel...they said it was the first time they had ever lost a tire on track...

#9 Audi CQ Scooby Doo Car known as the Mystery Machine, #44 Audi 4KQ painted as a tribute car to the 1989 IMSA  car driven by Haywood, Stuck, and Rohrl, and the #95 Audi TT Lightning McQueen.

We didn't have any tire issues, but I have never seen more gravel being kicked onto the track than this weekend in NH. So many cars were going 2 off in turns like it was going out of style.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

15 (edited by carterc 2018-11-01 04:56 AM)

We consider ourselves fortunate if we burn fuel and wear out tires, frankly.  I was thrilled that we did more of both than ever.  We only had one tire issue, but that was from a ...minor...skirmish.

TR7 wrote:

We picked up a bolt on-track and lost a tire. Saw a higher than normal amount of junk floating around in the dirt of the paddock area too...

Lots of stuff flying around the track, and some of it took out or rear view mirror...which we managed to half ass fix in a pinch....

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/003008623257/media/104167772574/large/1541725322/enhance

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

My current thinking is we didn't have enough pressure in the front tires. In both cases, the bead seal is what let go..

chaase wrote:

My current thinking is we didn't have enough pressure in the front tires. In both cases, the bead seal is what let go..

What were you running for pressure? I would think you'd have to be a lot low for that to be the case.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

19 (edited by chaase 2018-11-09 08:15 AM)

TheEngineer wrote:
chaase wrote:

What were you running for pressure? I would think you'd have to be a lot low for that to be the case.

I think we started around 25psi cold. The rims are a tad wider than the ones we used last year, with the same tire size, so I am wondering if it was a combination of the two factors.

25 doesn't seem that low, but it is lower than we run. But we have a big heavy car so I doubt things are the same. Still should have come up in temp as you got heat in them.

again, not a tire expert, my comments come with a pinches of salt.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

While my car only lasted 3 hours on Saturday we ate the front tires up in that time period.  man that track is tough on them.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

We didn't experience any abnormal tire wear at NHMS. The track will be a bit tough on tires than some others though. It's not uncommon to find our car spinning both rears up the hill.

FWD cars will fare even worse, because the front tires have to turn, stop, and put power down rather than just turning and stopping.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.