Topic: Is the 2019 Rally schedule set in stone?

Will there be by chance be any additional Rallies added in 2019 other than the two on the schedule?

Re: Is the 2019 Rally schedule set in stone?

The Great Lakes rally was a late addition so always keep your eyes open.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

From what I've heard there is a possibility of a shorter rally, like a three day weekend type thing, being added to the schedule. But I'm thinking a longer rally may be out of the question, seeing as they've added four races to the calendar for 2019.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

JoshTheBassist wrote:

Will there be by chance be any additional Rallies added in 2019 other than the two on the schedule?

I'll be honest, we haven't yet internally discussed what more rallies would look like. So let's call it "Very TBD."

With a huge race schedule and the ever-present problem of staffing the rallies, it's a big ask to add more. I say that, but we're undertaking a pretty ambitious 2019 so another rally may roll nicely into our ambitions. I will hopefully have a definitive answer by the time we leave Moscow in January.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:
JoshTheBassist wrote:

I'll be honest, we haven't yet internally discussed what more rallies would look like. So let's call it "Very TBD."

With a huge race schedule and the ever-present problem of staffing the rallies, it's a big ask to add more. I say that, but we're undertaking a pretty ambitious 2019 so another rally may roll nicely into our ambitions. I will hopefully have a definitive answer by the time we leave Moscow in January.

Thanks, Mr Rood.

I kinda assumed that and didn't know when to ask.   I'll keep any eye out for any others (....during a not too hot nor too cold time of the year)

therood wrote:
JoshTheBassist wrote:

When you say "problem staffing the rallies" do you mean problem finding people to do it, or problem PAYING people enough to do it?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

the rules are not based on costs or value of the car. They are based more on likelihood that you'll finish...as guessed by the judges. A car can be valuable, and still not make it out of the parking lot at the start. A car can be valueless, and have no problem completing the run.

But since it's all about having fun with cars, do whatever you want. I kind of enjoy resurrecting old orphaned cars, and driving them around, so the public can enjoy them.  It's also a good challenge. Some folks like challenge, others are not so keen on it.

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

8 (edited by Spank 2018-12-18 10:54 AM)

Maverick74 wrote:

From what I've heard there is a possibility of a shorter rally, like a three day weekend type thing, being added to the schedule. But I'm thinking a longer rally may be out of the question, seeing as they've added four races to the calendar for 2019.

It would be fun to have a Lemons Rally for Snowflakes with shorter stages. Maybe one that is in July when there's more assurance to be no school (some of us start early-mid August and end late June). Maybe one that ends at a B or C-grade amusement park (ala Wallyworld) and offers bonus points for driving wood-paneled station wagons with rear-facing or side-facing seats in the back. Bonus points for uploaded youtube videos of kids throwing tantrums and that are graded olympics style by a panel of judges. Make each night's stop at some hotel with a huge pool, and make some of the intermittent stops at some place like Chucky Cheese or Boomers and the team who brings the most unclaimed game tickets to the awards ceremony gets a bonus trophy. Then all of the rally participants with unclaimed game tickets go and clean out some local Chuckycheese of all their prizes.

Spank wrote:
Maverick74 wrote:

It would be fun to have a Lemons Rally for Snowflakes with shorter stages. Maybe one that is in July when there's more assurance to be no school (some of us start early-mid August and end late June). Maybe one that ends at a B or C-grade amusement park (ala Wallyworld) and offers bonus points for driving wood-paneled station wagons with rear-facing or side-facing seats in the back. Bonus points for uploaded youtube videos of kids throwing tantrums and that are graded olympics style by a panel of judges. Make each night's stop at some hotel with a huge pool, and make some of the intermittent stops at some place like Chucky Cheese or Boomers and the team who brings the most unclaimed game tickets to the awards ceremony gets a bonus trophy. Then all of the rally participants with unclaimed game tickets go and clean out some local Chuckycheese of all their prizes.

Yeah, I like this idea. Ran the first one, and it was a bit much. And that was in a super-comfy car accompanied by my wife (and I'm very happily married). Is any week where you drive through Salinas THREE TIMES really that fun of a drive? I enjoyed the concept but that was a TON of miles and a BIG gas bill...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

huh? you didn't do that in an Edsel?  smile  that was not bad at all, compared to the one we just finished. We spent some extra time around the nevada/california/arizona border area. Way too much time. But got to drive through Oatman, so it was all worth it.

The upcoming freeze-your-ass-off drive starting in the Poconos isn't that long, just a few days, so we'll see you there, eh? kids can be truant, call it a snow week.

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

11 (edited by BoB 2018-12-20 03:10 PM)

squirrel wrote:

the rules are not based on costs or value of the car. They are based more on likelihood that you'll finish...as guessed by the judges. A car can be valuable, and still not make it out of the parking lot at the start. A car can be valueless, and have no problem completing the run.

But since it's all about having fun with cars, do whatever you want. I kind of enjoy resurrecting old orphaned cars, and driving them around, so the public can enjoy them.  It's also a good challenge. Some folks like challenge, others are not so keen on it.

On the Great Lakes Mistake there was a pretty new Fiat 500, sure they weren't going to win but they seemed to really enjoy it.  If you don't care about winning anything you can show up in a brand new car and still have fun getting to see all the oddball stuff at the check points.  Also on that rally a pretty new Honda elment had one of the harder times mechanically, so you never know what will be the problem cars.

Also time wise I leked the loop format of that rally, easier to attract teams close to the start if they know they won't have a long journey to start or end the rally.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Additional rallies have been posted.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Worstbest Christmas present ever.

I guess I'll fix the damned car this winter.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

I seent em.  Hurray!