Topic: What to do with a hatchback/hatch window?

Posting this separately, since the CelicaGT is also a hatchback, and I think this question spans both coupe and sedan body styles.

I'm clear on the benefits of keeping the exhaust gases from coming back into the vehicle due to the pressure differential behind the front windshield.

Wondering if anyone has fabricated something like a lid with latches in place of the rear window for rear vehicle access? Like maybe polycarbonate instead of glass....?

Re: What to do with a hatchback/hatch window?

Yea plenty have made Lexan rear hatch windows. But don't bother until you break the one you have because weight won't be your problem for a long time.

Unless you convert it to a Shooting brake. then do that.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

We run no glass other than the windshield with no issues.  Our exhaust dumps slightly down in front of the right rear tire. 

Also note that there are lots of convertibles out there too.

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

-SDR- wrote:

We run no glass other than the windshield with no issues.  Our exhaust dumps slightly down in front of the right rear tire. 

Also note that there are lots of convertibles out there too.

I'd argue that any factory-built convertible of the past 40 years shouldn't have any issues with exhaust in the cabin- the OEMs spend a few bucks on airflow management, and it's designed to be driven top down.

Some hatchback with a back window that got knocked in and vacuumed up, OTOH....

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

[??? What the fuel is a Shooting brake? Never heard of such a thing. That'll make me google something, @!*%;&$, and I'm running short on time right now .... Aright....  Shooting brake, here we go..... Oh! Sweet!!! Ok, those are cool.... Ooooohhh, aaaaahhh, DB5!  Ok, now I understand. More fab work than I'm capable of, but dam, that's an idea! Ok, that Porsche 'shooting brake' explains that one internet article's inordinate focus on the 'fetish' aspect of the 'automotive journalist with this body style'; when, in reality, it's probably just a predilection.... Errr, ok: Volvo is a predilection, Porsche is a fetish - I got it now....]

Thank you, Guildenstern, I just learned a lot! If I had any skills in that area, and the car wasn't so crumpled already, I might just look into doing that.

I mean, I could probably weld and pop-rivet something together to approximate the look, but that would look like crap .... maybe after its first race.

Thanks for the reference and suggestion - that body style is SWEET!

It's a Lemons car, Crap is like half the point.

I mean, a good looking job is really good, like the Opal GT Bread Van:
http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LMIS18/0321-DSC_0694.jpg

But never let a lack of skill get in the way of a good idea.

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LMIS17/750-IMG_1680.jpg

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LMIS17/751-IMG_1681.jpg

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Ha! Ok, I got it, thanks!